Mcat study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sleight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been quite a few threads about MCAT study schedules but they do not seem to have the answers to my questions...I am planning on taking the MCAT in April and took my first practice test today blind (I got a 29). I am currently taking the first semester of physics which could explain the 8 I got in the PS section...I will be taking 2nd semester in the spring so hopefully that will help...I have pretty much decided not to take a prep-course but I was hoping to find some kind of schedule for when I should study what, how much time I should study on that part etc. I am going to buy some Kaplan and TPR books...and I have considered EK but I was wondering if buying the books would give you access to some sort of schedule...I am a pretty disciplined person but I just don't want to waste my time studying...I was figuring that there is a better order to study in so that the material builds on itself...any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

You diag score is very, very good. Which test did you take?
I suggest buying EK books and TBR books for self-study. If you can get TPR Hyperlearning books, those are very-well written. You have plenty of time so take it slow from the start.

29 is GREAT first score! I would use EK for most of studying but it sounds like you have a pretty good foundation. I think it would be better for you to do a lot of practice test.

Hey Sleigh,

I used Examkrackers books (abbrev EK a lot in this forum) and they give a "home study" time schedule: http://examkrackers.com/home-study.php just click on the different weeks (week 1 - week 10) to see what to study and when. Although I finished all of the lectures halfway through week 8 and used the final week and a half for practice tests and comprehensive review.

Good luck man and I hope this helps!

PS: Buy the EK MCAT Complete Study Package off Amazon, it is cheaper there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing the EK home study thing right now at my own pace - but I did register to take the Princeton Review since I could use the practice exams and the extra push since I am out of college and don't really have the pressure of an academic community here at home ;o)

good luck on everything though.

Yeah I was really happy with a 29 going into it completely blind. The funny thing was that my verbal was the highest (a 12)...it was the Kaplan diagnostic...i have a friend who is giving me some of her MCAT books (she decided to go to PA school)...I think I will buy the EK complete study package...hopefully i can buy it from someone who hasn't really used it...we will see...thanks for all of the great advice!

Dciple-I tried to click the link but I think you have to be an EK member to access it...will I get free access if I buy the study book?

I dont know if you are allowed to sell stuff on here but is there a place that you guys know about that you can buy/sell study prep stuff? I use craigslist.org on a regular basis but there isn't really much on there in my city...I figure a lot of people buy MCAT books and don't end up taking the test...

Does TPR do a free diagnostic test? I figure I probably won't take a course but I might as well get as many free practice tests as I can! Are there some practice tests that are better diagnostic tools? I am wondering if I just got lucky with getting a 29 as a diagnostic...

Does TPR do a free diagnostic test? I figure I probably won't take a course but I might as well get as many free practice tests as I can! Are there some practice tests that are better diagnostic tools? I am wondering if I just got lucky with getting a 29 as a diagnostic...

Why don't you just start studying materials now. Don't take any more diags until you are some way into your studying. Then see how your scores come out then.

Yeah I was really happy with a 29 going into it completely blind. The funny thing was that my verbal was the highest (a 12)...it was the Kaplan diagnostic...i have a friend who is giving me some of her MCAT books (she decided to go to PA school)...I think I will buy the EK complete study package...hopefully i can buy it from someone who hasn't really used it...we will see...thanks for all of the great advice!

Dciple-I tried to click the link but I think you have to be an EK member to access it...will I get free access if I buy the study book?

Your diag looks very, very similar to mine if it's any comfort. If that's an indication that you approach tests and study time in the same fashion as I do, my study schedule might be something for you to check out (It's in my link in my signature).

FYI, my diag was:
8PS 12VR 8BS - 28

My real MCAT was:
15PS 11VR 14BS - 40 (Very, very hard VR. Be prepared for longer passages and don't let your diag and practice scores give you a false sense of comfort!)

My AAMC average (last 4) was about:
14PS 14VR 14BS - 42

My highest AAMC was:
15PS 14VR 15BS - 44 (#9 I think)

Give yourself about 2.5 - 3 months to study, and don't waste your practice exams until about 5 weeks before your real exam. GL!!

That's weird that it didn't work...I don't have a membership or anything either. Try this:

1. visit examkrackers.com
2. check off "I am taking the MCAT"
3. on the left you will see a sticky note that says "MCAT Preparation" and the 4th link says "Home Study", click that
4. The schedule should be on the right (week 1, week 2, etc.)

If that doesn't work, PM me and we'll figure it out.

Thanks dciple! That worked! And I got my ExamKrackers Complete Study Package yesterday :)

I logged on to SDN with the intent of posting an almost identical question re: how to start studying for the April MCAT and lo and behold, here's a thread that already asked it. Sleight, you and I are in the same boat; MCAT in April with Physics II just around the bend in second semester. Are you planning on using any "original" sources to study ie: textbooks and class notes from relevant courses. I have heard mixed things on this. I have purchased all of the EK books and have had a lot of TPR and Kaplan materials passed down to me from friends who have already taken the MCAT (I'm a career changer post bacc). I plan on using EK primarily but was wondering what people thought of also using textbooks and class notes. Would those be too in depth as the MCAT tends to test more broadly, or so I am told...?

I logged on to SDN with the intent of posting an almost identical question re: how to start studying for the April MCAT and lo and behold, here's a thread that already asked it. Sleight, you and I are in the same boat; MCAT in April with Physics II just around the bend in second semester. Are you planning on using any "original" sources to study ie: textbooks and class notes from relevant courses. I have heard mixed things on this. I have purchased all of the EK books and have had a lot of TPR and Kaplan materials passed down to me from friends who have already taken the MCAT (I'm a career changer post bacc). I plan on using EK primarily but was wondering what people thought of also using textbooks and class notes. Would those be too in depth as the MCAT tends to test more broadly, or so I am told...?

I would stick mainly with EK and the other review books you have. If you come across something in EK that you don't understand, but you know that you took good notes on that subject, then by all means go back to your notes and clarify the concept. However, your undergraduate classes go way more in depth about things and teach you excess amounts of information that you won't even need for the MCAT. You will discover this once you start getting into the EK books...

Good luck!

I was going to say the exact same thing as Dciple. Everyone I talk to says study from EK (or whatever other materials you have) and then if you get confused and it is not explained well in EK then use your textbook as a back up...I don't plan on reading my textbooks/notes unless I get stuck becaue I don't think it would be time well spent...

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I actually came here looking for something else and found the 10-week program really interesting. There are also books called Eklavya which are pretty tough for prep and they also come with a sample schedule you can follow

BTW here is a similar study schedule on SDN for DAT if someone is looking for that

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=719365