MCAT Study Tips for Non-Traditional (2nd Attempt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post and offer your advice and support.

Am a 30yo non-traditional student. Completed most my pre-requisite courses about 10 years ago with the exception to organic chemistry and biochemistry last year (C & A respectively).

My first mistake was trying to work full-time due to financial circumstances while studying for the MCAT. I may have tried to do more content review than practice but felt that I still need a somewhat solid foundation before attempting the questions...

Will be taking the MCAT around May of 2018 so as to apply in the 2019 cycle as soon as it opens in June. I've already requested 3 full months off from work to try this the right way but I wanted to see what I should be doing before those three months to make the best of my time right now. I'll be working on finalizing my application essay for sure the whole application process will be plug-n-chug.

cGPA: 3.61
sGPA: 3.45
non-sGPA: 3.85

Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad.

organic chemistry and biochemistry last year

That's great; that'll put you ahead for studying.

How were your subsection scores? You could start working on CARS now (unless you did great on it last time) but I'm not sure I'd start studying other subjects until 3-4 months before your exam; if you start too soon you'll forget stuff from the beginning of your study period.

That's great; that'll put you ahead for studying.

How were your subsection scores? You could start working on CARS now (unless you did great on it last time) but I'm not sure I'd start studying other subjects until 3-4 months before your exam; if you start too soon you'll forget stuff from the beginning of your study period.
I was around 123/4 for each section except phys sci., which was lower.

A solid foundation is important but I don't want to forget everything and/or burn out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I plan on taking the MCAT late of next year and also want to apply in 2019. I bought the new Kaplan subject review and started studying content today. I plan on going over everything in the books this year and maybe start doing questions beginning of next year. I'll review content as I do questions. Then I'll finish off with doing practice exam as my MCAT date approaches. I shouldn't burn out because I hope to take my time. I'm going to focus on strategies as well. I took a practice Kaplan exam (half exam) and made 489 with biology being my highest (126). I missed so much because I hardly remembered the content (I'm also non-trad, 26 yo, working on post-bac in CLS/MLS). I might change my plans as I go along. Best advice I was given was to study how it works best for me. I'm a slow learner (not dumb, I just need to make concept connections for it to stick). Keep me updated on this post and I'll let you know how I come along. Good luck!!!!

"Success doesn't come without struggle"