MCAT vs Board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nico

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a general question for those who may know.
Do MCAT scores correlate with board scores or do they have nothing to do with each other. Could a person who scored a 25 on the mcat still do very well on the boards?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well, MCAT performance is a fairly good indicator of future medical school performance, as the same with most standardized exams in other academic arenas. However, in my case, and you can argue amongst yourselves: 27 MCAT, 248 Step II. You make the call...

Well, I totally disagree. I believe MCAT and USMLE scores are only used as screening sources and nothing more. They are poor predictors on how one will perform on the USMLE or specialty boards, respectively. A student's performace on any standardized test depends on many factors, including the mood and overall psychological well being on test day. However, if a student fails the board exam on more than one occassion, then question marks should be raised about the student ability to achieve passing scores on future tests.

In short, prediciting a students success on one test score isn't practical. However, using these scores to decrease the applicant pool from 3000 to 500-1000 people gives these score much more usefulness in the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by pags:
•Well, MCAT performance is a fairly good indicator of future medical school performance, as the same with most standardized exams in other academic arenas. However, in my case, and you can argue amongst yourselves: 27 MCAT, 248 Step II. You make the call...•••

What about step I? ;)

I recently placed the question to our plastic surgery residency director and he said that, while there are exceptions to the rule, in the vast majority of cases he has seen MCAT scores do correlate very strongly with USMLE scores and with subsequent performance on specialty boards. His theory was that, while your score indicates your preparation to some degree, it also indicates your ability to think in a pressured, timed environment, something that is valued by most surgical residency programs. Anyway, hope that is useful

Bonecutter

27 MCAT, 195 Step1, haven't taken step 2 yet, but I hope I can do as well as pags did!

For both exams, I spent a LOT of time in preparation and practice questions. Additionally, I have worked hard and studied consistently for all my classes in both med school and undergrad (and lead a balanced life outside school too). Despite feeling that I learn a lot and know a lot, I can't seem to get the scores I want on standardized tests. I hope more people post their scores, b/c this topic really interest me.

hey tulanestudent,

I've heard around here that we generally don't kick butt on the boards (i'm not speaking about you, because I have no idea how good a 195 is)? Is this somewhat true or just LSU-NO propaganda? 'Cause our residency placements are really good, and I'm wondering how we can do it with not as great test scores. I'm just worried that I won't end up doing as well as counterparts at other schools. And how much of it is because of our school compared to how good individuals are at taking tests? I also heard that your class didn't have very much time between the end of 2nd year and the boards ... did that effect things?

It's just that I don't seem to strain here to pass (and most people don't seem to either), and I'm wondering if that lack of pressure/incentive will eventually hurt us on Step 1.

later,

Simul

Well, I posted this in some other forum at one time as well.

MCAT--32 (10V, 11P, 11B) Can't remember my letter grade.
Step I--230
Step II--259

Studied the most for Step I (about 23-25 days) and I also took some time off between the 1st and 2nd year of med school so the biochem, physio was nearly 3 years out for me for Step I. Studied for about 6 days for Step II but I think the shelf exams in all the clerkships helped a lot. Didn't study for the MCAT but had taken a lot of physics and advanced biochemistry, molecular biology classes when I did take it and I think that helped me a lot for that test.

If you go even farther back, I did very poor in high school 2.7 GPA (around there) and a 22 on the ACT test which isn't that good from what I understand.

MCAT - 34 (12,11,11)
USMLE Step I - 257
USMLE Step II - 241

I spent about two months preparing for both the MCAT and the USMLE Step 1. I did not study for Step II at all since I took it after interviews.

I recently spoke with someone on the Cornell admissions committe, and he said the following: MCAT scores really only indicate how well you will do in medical school if your score is REALLY low. i.e., really low scores (in the 6-7 range for each section) = likely to do poorly. Students at the mean and above have about equal likelihood of having no trouble passing medical school (notice I said passing, not excelling. The ad com guy also made this distinction).

I have read there is a correlation between MCAT and Step I scores, but I've also read that men tend to do better on Step I and women better on Step II. According to our dean of education, Step I scores are generally used only as a screening tool for residency. You are placed into pools according to your score--1st tier, 2nd tier, etc. But then your grades and med school activities, performance, and letters are taken into account, and these count for a lot.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by squeek:
• You are placed into pools according to your score--1st tier, 2nd tier, etc. But then your grades and med school activities, performance, and letters are taken into account, and these count for a lot.•••••Do not, I repeat, DO NOT underestimate the power of the interview! If you can't speak or come off as a turd, not even your stellar board scores can save you from the PD's mighty pen.