MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen that a lot of people say they have their interviews scheduled but they're taking their MCAT in a couple weeks or something. Can you register for school without taking it or are these people taking it for a second time? Will this influence the schools much, will they wait to accept or deny you, or is it just for scholarship purposes? Can you take the test after your interview or before?

Also, random question, is there summer break in podiatry school or is it year round with just a winter break? I'm just curious about this to know.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

DMU has a summer break first year. Second year they have a first and second summer clinic so you'll have one or the other "off", but will be studying for boards. First and second year also have spring break - there is no spring break third year.

The answer to your MCAT questions is "a bit of everything". You can submit your application without an MCAT. You can tell them you are taking it again. Depending on your score they may want you to retake it. They may choose to wait or they may move ahead with you. Remember, the schools are all different - the only thing they really share is a common application service.

Improving your MCAT is a great way to get a larger scholarship.

I've seen that a lot of people say they have their interviews scheduled but they're taking their MCAT in a couple weeks or something. Can you register for school without taking it or are these people taking it for a second time? Will this influence the schools much, will they wait to accept or deny you, or is it just for scholarship purposes? Can you take the test after your interview or before?

Also, random question, is there summer break in podiatry school or is it year round with just a winter break? I'm just curious about this to know.

Thanks.

You can submit applications in without taking the MCAT. However, some schools will look at your file as incomplete and will not grant you an interview. Some schools will look at your file and grant an interview, which they may accept you after with pending MCAT scores and complete transcripts, etc. In my experience, taking the MCAT and getting it out of the way is best so that you do not delay anything, and also miss any chances with the school of your choice. Students who take the MCAT again are either trying to meet the required score, or to boost their scores in hoping to attain a scholarship. The problem with taking the MCAT later (i.e. after interviews and acceptance letter pending score) is that the school may deny you if you get a score that's not met. So my suggestion is to take the MCAT sooner than later.

I think most schools let first and second years have summer break (1-2 weeks), winter break (2-3 weeks), and spring break (1 week). This will vary depending on the school though. Third year usually will not have breaks since they have clinics and the schedule is very tight (i.e. clinics up to the day before Christmas with Christmas off, and returning to clinic after the holiday). Don't expect to have many breaks or long breaks while in podiatry school. Even second years may have a short summer break, but they will be studying for boards and time is of the essence.

I think only 1 or 2 schools will grant an interview even before seeing your MCAT score, but I would imagine only in the case that your GPA is pretty high. Most schools will not consider it complete until they see a score.