MCG - EDP... Do I have a chance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenn3230

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to MCG's EDP mostly because I heard I have a better change of getting in and if i happen to get rejected, i'll know early enough to study for the GRE and go to grad school

I go to Tech and was a BioMed Engr major so my GPA didn't start out great. I switched to Biological sciences and my gpa has been going up .2 - .3 a semester but I still don't think it'll be good enough in the end :( I have a 3.1 right now and instead of graduating early I decided to stay with my class for the last year to take all sorts of classes (esp. sciences) to bump up my GPA to atleast a 3.5

My list of ECs are great (20+ clubs, leaderships, years of research, clinical experience with hospitals all over atlanta etc) and I think I"ll have amazing recs because I get along with all my professors and I've done well in their classes.

I'm not taking the MCAT until a couple of months before next june and I'm shooting for a 35 (hopefully!):luck:

Has anyone had any luck with MCG's EDP with a low GPA??:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Lmao at the 20+ clubs...When are you planning on applying to MCG? cause Unless you are a frosh or Soph I dont see how it will be possible to raise a 3.1 to a 3.5.

I'm applying in 2011...
I mean, I also do research for credit too and I can do up to 12credit hrs of it and its considered as a biology course

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to the dean at MCG about this because I have similar concerns...I was waitlisted at MCG in the 2010 entering class cycle and thought about doing EDP this year. He told me that they use the same criteria as regular admissions - the higher acceptance rate during EDP can be chalked up to the fact that it is a more competitive group of people. They are confident that they can get in, they know they want MCG, bada bing.

I got scared off by that, and I'm applying everywhere regular decision. I don't want to get rejected EDP in October and then be up the creek because I haven't even started applying elsewhere. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
With a 3.1 and having not taken the MCAT, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there's no way, for you to get in to MCG with that GPA, on the first attempt. Even with that "trend", you're still going to have a real hard time convincing the committee that you are the "better" student, when they compare your grades/activities to the "typical" MCG student (3.7/31).

EDP isn't an easy safe to crack. This year's group of accepted students were above the average for last year's class...

You should be aware OP, that applying EDP to most places prevents you from applying to other programs until a decision is rendered...in the medical school application game, its better to just get your AMCAS done as soon as humanly possible to make your application early and not EDP. You need to boost your numbers and hope you get a good MCAT score. :luck: