MCPHS Worcester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The school's main point is to make sure you are able to handle the work overload, so your main goal is to prove to them you can do it. You have a BA, which is good, GPA is so-so, make sure you got strong rec letters, they DO read them. and Good Luck! Once you get an interview, you are 70% in (my opinion)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone.

I'm going to be applying to MCPHS Worcester soon, but I have some concerns about my strength as an applicant.

I have a B.A. in Biology-Psychology form Tufts University. That is my strongest attribute.

My cumulative GPA is around 3.05, but my GPA in the prerequisite courses is lower (closer to ~2.5). The reason for this is because I got a D, a C-, and a couple of C's. I am retaking the D course next semester.

Do you think MCPHS adcom will overlook my poor grades in those prerequisite courses considering I completed them at a top tier university ? I'm not trying to sound pretentious, but I could have easily gone to a community college and maintained a 4.0.

Thoughts?

Probably not. What are your other stats. You probably have a better shot than I did though. Had a 2.7 from Berk and didn't get interview invite. Got accepted to many good programs with good pcat.

Hey everyone.

I'm going to be applying to MCPHS Worcester soon, but I have some concerns about my strength as an applicant.

I have a B.A. in Biology-Psychology form Tufts University. That is my strongest attribute.

My cumulative GPA is around 3.05, but my GPA in the prerequisite courses is lower (closer to ~2.5). The reason for this is because I got a D, a C-, and a couple of C's. I am retaking the D course next semester.

Do you think MCPHS adcom will overlook my poor grades in those prerequisite courses considering I completed them at a top tier university ? I'm not trying to sound pretentious, but I could have easily gone to a community college and maintained a 4.0.

Thoughts?
You don't have a very big chance to be honest. My friend had a 3.6 cumulative GPA and had an interview here but was rejected simply because they didn't feel he could handle the workload. I had a similar GPA but was working 32 hours a week at a pharmacy my whole academic career. I feel they emphasize workload and experience at this school along with a decent GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone.

Thoughts?

Also apply for Touro NY...their competitive GPA is below 3.0..Good luck

Do you think MCPHS adcom will overlook my poor grades in those prerequisite courses considering I completed them at a top tier university ?

i think the prereq gpa is more important than your cumulative, which only works against your stats. figure out waht you did wrong and retake waht you can. they give you a chance to explain the gaping holes in your application (low grades, etc). although not required at MCP (yet), my advisor said they definitely consider the PCAT too.

Last edited:
You don't have a very big chance to be honest. My friend had a 3.6 cumulative GPA and had an interview here but was rejected simply because they didn't feel he could handle the workload. I had a similar GPA but was working 32 hours a week at a pharmacy my whole academic career. I feel they emphasize workload and experience at this school along with a decent GPA.

Sure, but where did your friend go to school? State school or CC I bet. I went to one of the top three colleges in Massachusetts. After Harvard and MIT comes Tufts. Im pretty sure this will count for something .

Sure, but where did your friend go to school? State school or CC I bet. I went to one of the top three colleges in Massachusetts. After Harvard and MIT comes Tufts. Im pretty sure this will count for something .

Last edited:
My friend went to UCLA and majored in psychobiology. I also went to UCLA and got accepted to mcphs. My major was sociology. Sorry for the double post the site went unresponsive while i was posting a reply.

Last edited:
Anybody knows how the lectures are going to be, are going to be given power point handouts or it depends on a professor? I am also hearing that books are barely used, is it true? Also, do we need to bring laptop to classes?

I am also wondering if we need to buy/ not buy certain books. They sent out the list but can any p2/p3 confirm this? Also is there anyone selling p1 books? Thanks in advance

Anybody knows how the lectures are going to be, are going to be given power point handouts or it depends on a professor? I am also hearing that books are barely used, is it true? Also, do we need to bring laptop to classes?

You will be given power point handouts or lecture outlines for all the lectures. Books are barely used. For P1 fall, the only book you should only consider buying is the US healthcare book. Other textbooks are probably good for reference purposes only. You don't need to bring a laptop to class but you can if you want to. The laptop will help for the US healthcare class.

thanks yan yan,

what labs do we have to take? are there many labs?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks yan yan,

what labs do we have to take? are there many labs?
For P1 spring, you will have pharmaceutics lab. In this lab, you will be making suppositories, suspensions, troches, gummy bears, capsules, tablets, etc. For P1 summer, you will be placed in PPP lab (professional pharmacy practice lab) where you will be playing the role of a retail pharmacist. Each week you will get 3 prescriptions to fill, a self-care activity and either IV/Rx verification or patient counseling. Both labs are once a week and will last 2 hours and 50 minutes.

For P1 spring, you will have pharmaceutics lab. In this lab, you will be making suppositories, suspensions, troches, gummy bears, capsules, tablets, etc. For P1 summer, you will be placed in PPP lab (professional pharmacy practice lab) where you will be playing the role of a retail pharmacist. Each week you will get 3 prescriptions to fill, a self-care activity and either IV/Rx verification or patient counseling. Both labs are once a week and will last 2 hours and 50 minutes.

Thanks a lot,

no lab for P1 fall? just lecture classes?

Thanks a lot,

no lab for P1 fall? just lecture classes?
Yes, there will be no labs during P1 fall, only classes. For the service learning class (1 unit, P/NP), in addition to lecture once a week, you will also be volunteering at a specific site for 2 hours a week for 10 weeks.

You will be given power point handouts or lecture outlines for all the lectures. Books are barely used. For P1 fall, the only book you should only consider buying is the US healthcare book. Other textbooks are probably good for reference purposes only. You don't need to bring a laptop to class but you can if you want to. The laptop will help for the US healthcare class.

hey, are you a current MCPHS student? if so, how is it? any tips on doing well?

Yes, there will be no labs during P1 fall, only classes. For the service learning class (1 unit, P/NP), in addition to lecture once a week, you will also be volunteering at a specific site for 2 hours a week for 10 weeks.

What kind of site did you volunteer? Is it relating to pharmacy experience?

Thanks, Yan Yan:) ur very helpful.

Hello everyone. I was accepted to the Worcester PharmD program in April and since then I have been going back and forth as to whether or not I should attend the program. I have a friend who is a p1 there and he has told me that the program is not very good and that he will be dropping out. He told me that there were 330 students in the class at the beginning of the year and after the first semester it was down to 270. Furthermore, he told me that a lot of other students are seeking to transfer, even those who are doing well. And the second year is supposed to be 10x harder. Also, when I interviewed there, one of the p3 students told me that it would be a better idea to reapply next year rather than attend this school because the program only wants your money and doesn't care whether you succeed or fail. I really don't know what to do at the moment and any honest advice from p1s p2s and p3s would be extremely helpful to me. $60,000 a year for three years is a lot to invest and I want to make a wise decision. I don't want to attend a program that does not provide a positive academic environment. Thanks.

Hello everyone. I was accepted to the Worcester PharmD program in April and since then I have been going back and forth as to whether or not I should attend the program. I have a friend who is a p1 there and he has told me that the program is not very good and that he will be dropping out. He told me that there were 330 students in the class at the beginning of the year and after the first semester it was down to 270. Furthermore, he told me that a lot of other students are seeking to transfer, even those who are doing well.

im starting in the fall so i cant answer your questions, but i was wondering if your friend was doing well in class and why he wanted to drop out.
also, why did the 60 people drop out?
-hopefully something more specific than "he didnt like it"

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I was accepted to the Worcester PharmD program in April and since then I have been going back and forth as to whether or not I should attend the program. I have a friend who is a p1 there and he has told me that the program is not very good and that he will be dropping out. He told me that there were 330 students in the class at the beginning of the year and after the first semester it was down to 270. Furthermore, he told me that a lot of other students are seeking to transfer, even those who are doing well. And the second year is supposed to be 10x harder. Also, when I interviewed there, one of the p3 students told me that it would be a better idea to reapply next year rather than attend this school because the program only wants your money and doesn't care whether you succeed or fail. I really don't know what to do at the moment and any honest advice from p1s p2s and p3s would be extremely helpful to me. $60,000 a year for three years is a lot to invest and I want to make a wise decision. I don't want to attend a program that does not provide a positive academic environment. Thanks.

isn't the max capacity 250?

What kind of site did you volunteer? Is it relating to pharmacy experience?

I volunteered at the Worcester Senior Center teaching English to Chinese immigrants. It is not related to pharmacy at all but it exposes you to different populations you may be serving once you become a pharmacist.

hey, are you a current MCPHS student? if so, how is it? any tips on doing well?

Yes I am a current P1 student. This program is very fast paced and difficult so you will need to work really hard. I think everyone has their own studying style so you can use the same technique at MCP and if it doesnt work after the first exam, you will need to adjust your studying habits. Time management is the key! Attend all lectures, and study ALOT. You will get 2-3 exams each week so be prepare for that. Also, the finals are cumulative and in the P1 fall, you will have 6 finals in 5 days and for P1 spring, you will have 7 finals in 5 days. The week before finals, professors will still be teaching new material and there are no dead days like undergrad.

Why is there so much negativity? I love MCPHS so far and am very excited for the fall.

I volunteered at the Worcester Senior Center teaching English to Chinese immigrants. It is not related to pharmacy at all but it exposes you to different populations you may be serving once you become a pharmacist.

Thanks Yan!

As a former graduate, I can offer my opinion about MCP. There are only 2 good things about this school:
1) a pharmD degree in which you absolutely have to earn by yourself with very minimal help from the professors (especially the ones in pharmacy practice)
2) be done with school in 2 years and 10 months

If you are going to spend a total of $180,000 for 3 years, might as well going somewhere where you can enjoy and really learn pharmacy. I heard the number of students for this coming fall is at least 350. This includes new students as well as students who failed to advance last fall. How can you expect to have a decent education with a class size like that?? The sad thing is that it will only get bigger.

Congrats on your completion in the Pharm D program! :highfive:

I just has a couple questions,

If you could do it all over again would you choose this school? Explain why?

Also after your graduation did you or your classmates get any offers? where?

And if not, what are your plans for the future?

Thanks. :highfive:

As a former graduate, I can offer my opinion about MCP. There are only 2 good things about this school:
1) a pharmD degree in which you absolutely have to earn by yourself with very minimal help from the professors (especially the ones in pharmacy practice)

If you are going to spend a total of $180,000 for 3 years, might as well going somewhere where you can enjoy and really learn pharmacy. I heard the number of students for this coming fall is at least 350. This includes new students as well as students who failed to advance last fall. How can you expect to have a decent education with a class size like that?? The sad thing is that it will only get bigger.

It seems like the only students who post replies are the ones who have smth negative to say about the school. Where are the students who actually have smth positive to say, we do know its going to be HARD, accelerated program. Where are you guys?

It seems like the only students who post replies are the ones who have smth negative to say about the school. Where are the students who actually have smth positive to say, we do know its going to be HARD, accelerated program. Where are you guys?

Agreed!!! :thumbup:

I am a current Manchester P1 and I love it here. I have answered questions in this forum before so ask away!

I am a current Manchester P1 and I love it here. I have answered questions in this forum before so ask away!

Hey, do you have any tips to succeed in this program? How was your first semester, studying 24/7? Anything u wish you knew before starting the program? Thank u

Congrats!!!! what are u doing now? working? how is the job market after graduating?

Hey, do you have any tips to succeed in this program? How was your first semester, studying 24/7? Anything u wish you knew before starting the program? Thank u

My first semester wasn't too bad. I expected it to be a lot of time management and it was. The material wasn't too challenging, there was just a lot of it and you can't get behind. You should always prepare for every class to get the most out of the time you have.

I will be a peer mentor in the fall in Manchester so I will be giving my mentees plenty of specifics for how to succeed. Manchester is very different from Worcester so I really can't speak for their classes even though they are the same, the learning environment is completely different. Every new student will have a peer mentor so make sure to utilize their knowledge well.

I will be a peer mentor in the fall in Manchester so I will be giving my mentees plenty of specifics for how to succeed. Manchester is very different from Worcester so I really can't speak for their classes even though they are the same, the learning environment is completely different. Every new student will have a peer mentor so make sure to utilize their knowledge well.
pharms if you dont mind, could you post some of that advice on here? obviously you cant tell us about stuff around the worcester campus but any tips for specific classes, etc.
thanks for all the help!

Congrats to your acceptance guys, this school is doable no worry!!!!!.
If you are new student looking for apt near school, 2 mins walk, $420, includes gas, heat, water, internet. Cheapest place i know around Worcester. my contract ends next month, 6 months contract, and Im going on rotation. I do this in favor of the landlord since he is really nice guy.
let me know
thanks

Last edited:
[deleted]
-figured it out, thanks

Last edited:

Hey, Is attendance mandatory at the Manchester campus? or can you view the lectures online/live from home? Thank you :)

Hey, Is attendance mandatory at the Manchester campus? or can you view the lectures online/live from home? Thank you :)

I have never missed a class. Some people always do. Usually there are participation/attendance points associated with your final grade in P1 year. It's rare but sometimes the professors forget to press record so you can't always rely on the recordings. Don't miss an opportunity for free points.

just looked at our schedule and we're in the same class room for about 8 hours some days. do any current/former students trouble finding outlets for their laptops? are you forced to use pen/paper?
im asking about worcester, but manchester students might want this answered as well.

Hey everybody,

I am a current P1 at Worcester. I'm a little bored so might as well help out prospect student pharmacists.

First off, a lot of people will tell you this program/school is incredibly difficult and the professors don't care about students....well I can see their point at times. We have lost quite a few students, but the program is definitely do-able.

To be honest, I don't think the material is all that difficult, bland at times, the tests are k type multiple choice questions, and you have many exams per course, which means you can definitely bomb one and still recover. You only need a 2.2 cumulative gpa to be in good academic standing here so the bar is set low.

Personally, I don't go to many classes except where attendance is absolutely mandatory. They are pretty good about uploading the lectures online either later that day or early the next so I just dl them and 1.5-2.0x speed through them.

My advice, learn what works for you, we aren't all cookie cutter students. Effectively manage your time. But also, have some fun, stick to your hobbies, or you are going to get burnt out.

What else...I'm sure MCPHS has made a fb group for you all. My advice, make another one, student run and add them to that. Because do you honestly want the school to know what all of you all are talking about? Especially if you had a terrible exam that you though was really unfair? So when you guys make that one, add me to that one.

I know you all have lots of questions, but seriously, just chill, breathe and relax. I'll see you at Orientation and Move-in and hope you get me as your peer mentor haha

Hey everybody,

I am a current P1 at Worcester. I'm a little bored so might as well help out prospect student pharmacists.

First off, a lot of people will tell you this program/school is incredibly difficult and the professors don't care about students....well I can see their point at times. We have lost quite a few students, but the program is definitely do-able.

To be honest, I don't think the material is all that difficult, bland at times, the tests are k type multiple choice questions, and you have many exams per course, which means you can definitely bomb one and still recover. You only need a 2.2 cumulative gpa to be in good academic standing here so the bar is set low.

Personally, I don't go to many classes except where attendance is absolutely mandatory. They are pretty good about uploading the lectures online either later that day or early the next so I just dl them and 1.5-2.0x speed through them.

My advice, learn what works for you, we aren't all cookie cutter students. Effectively manage your time. But also, have some fun, stick to your hobbies, or you are going to get burnt out.

What else...I'm sure MCPHS has made a fb group for you all. My advice, make another one, student run and add them to that. Because do you honestly want the school to know what all of you all are talking about? Especially if you had a terrible exam that you though was really unfair? So when you guys make that one, add me to that one.

I know you all have lots of questions, but seriously, just chill, breathe and relax. I'll see you at Orientation and Move-in and hope you get me as your peer mentor haha

are there many projects/presentations or just exam based?

are there many projects/presentations or just exam based?

Mostly just exam based, again, relax, knowing this info 1.5 months early isn't really gonna help you, nor do you need it.

Another piece of advice, get involved! There are like 30 clubs on campus including professional, cultural, and recreational clubs. Join stuff that you actually like doing, don't do things simply to put it on your resume cuz that's lame sauce. boss

Mostly just exam based, again, relax, knowing this info 1.5 months early isn't really gonna help you, nor do you need it.

Another piece of advice, get involved! There are like 30 clubs on campus including professional, cultural, and recreational clubs. Join stuff that you actually like doing, don't do things simply to put it on your resume cuz that's lame sauce. boss

Hi, I will be on rotation in San Diego in September. I was looking to sublet my room at Skymark for the month. The building is about an 8 minute walk to MCPHS and one block away from a grocery store. I am asking $550 flat including utilities, internet, etc.

Please let me know if you're interested - you can email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Hi everyone, where can I find our incoming fall 2013 P1 class schedule? I don't know why I can't find it anywhere but I've heard that it is posted somewhere on the MCPHS site.
Thanks in advance;)

Hi everyone, where can I find our incoming fall 2013 P1 class schedule? I don't know why I can't find it anywhere but I've heard that it is posted somewhere on the MCPHS site.
Thanks in advance;)

Never mind, I found it.