MCW v Minnesota Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogetter898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done my research on both schools but dont want my own reasons to affect the opinions received (hoping for some objective input) which is why I am forgoing supplying my own reasons and insights.

more detail but also want some general comparison input - which is the better school in terms of a program that will get me matched into a competitive speciality outside of the midwest? and financial aid as i think mcw is only need-based and i am OOS for both

thank you! i really appreciate it and good luck to all this cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Minnesota is a bit better funded, since it's under the umbrella of a larger healthcare system/university, so for hyper competitive specialties that would want you to have lots of research exposure, MN will probably be the better bet, but only by a slim margin: the bigger determinant will probably be your letters of recommendation, rotation grades, and Step 2 score. I would really focus more on which school felt like a better fit in terms of mission, student body, patient population, hospital affiliates, etc.

I think MCW May be better since at least it puts the Chicago programs on the table for residency. Honestly, to do better in terms of class rank AOA, go to the lesser competitive school (easier to be a big fish). It may be hard to match out of the Midwest but possibly back to your home state. For competitive specialties you actually have best chance at your home school so pick one you wouldn’t hate to stay at. I think they are similar overall in terms of research. Sometimes state universities tie in basic science research and things to boost their numbers but clinical research is what most students do and you should look for academic departments and home residency program for that. I think there are likely academic superstars at both schools! MCW is so convenient with the hospital all in one place versus traveling all over with no parking in Minnesota; every study minute counts! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user