Mcw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mont627

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just received my acceptance this weekend to MCW. Don't get me wrong - I'm THRILLED to finally know that I will become a doctor and that other people believe that I have what it takes to become one. But honestly, MCW didn't strike me as my dream school. I'm sure most of you are like this - I usually get excited about schools when I visit or interview. I don't know if its because I'm from Milwaukee and was subconsciously hoping that I could get out or if its just because I had a terrible cold the day I interviewed, but I didn't feel excited to be there. I think this may be my only MD acceptance, seeing as I haven't even heard anything from a few MD schools, whether its an interview invite or rejection (I've gotten a couple DO acceptances that I was excited about - unlike MCW - and I'm not counting on getting off the waitlist for Madison).

Anyways. Maybe you guys could help me? Is there anything that MCW has that sets it apart from other med schools that I missed on the interview day? What I really liked about Madison was that they had many electives, like medical spanish and things like that. Does MCW have anything like that? I know we all have our own reasons for choosing or not choosing a school, but seeing as milwaukee is probably where I'll end up, I might have to steal some of your reasons for choosing to be there!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to MCW and DMU. But, due to my terrible interview experience at MCW, I'm leaning heavily towards DMU. MCW is creating more research experience, built a new research building there within the last couple of years. I do think the clinical experience at MCW would be top notch due to the fact it is in Milwaukee. But, I just didn't seem to like some of the students that went there, sometimes a little too friendly for me. To many smiles, lol.

I'm also from the Milwaukee area so it will be a hard acceptance to with draw from.

I think I was at MCW the same day as you guys. I am still waiting to hear back - all the way in Maryland. Personally, I liked the school a lot. I think that what separates the school is its commitment to research, which is what attracted me to the school. They are very active, as Mr. Istwan talked about devoting a full floor to the Human Genome Project and another floor to (I think) diabetes research. If research is something that you are interested in, then it is definitely something to consider. Otherwise, you probably should start comparing schools looking for what you preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCW is on the rise, big time. Their growth in research is astounding and the private medical college itself has recovered from near bankruptcy by cleaning up the program and hospitals that were causing losses. They have an interesting history and its a beautiful campus from what I have been told. I am almost positive that those who have already visited or been accepted know about this article but I liked reading it myself

http://www.mcw.edu/FileLibrary/Groups/publicaffairs/MilwMagMCW2008article.pdf

as far as student life goes, couldn't really help you. But I know that most of them live off campus a little bit away so it wont have the dormy kind of life but that seems to be the norm. Milwaukee is actually really pretty and clean. Chicago aint far either.

One of the things I liked MCW was because it's not a big public research school (like UW) so the professors aren't feeling as much pressure to get grants and what not. One of the professors there told me he felt he was a better teacher because his first priority is his students, not his research, and the school encourages that. Also, it's right next to three great hospitals so the clinical experience is sure to be top notch.
The only reason I wasn't thrilled at my interview was because I recognized so many of the medical students from premed courses at UW. I'm ready for some new faces...

oh also, if you are into peds, they have one of the best hospitals in the nation for that. major plus

double true on that Peds info. I wouldn't mind completing a large portion of my rotations there.

it might be good to recognize that the dean is set to implement changes into the curriculum fairly soon (I have heard as soon as this entering class). He would initiate a Global Health track (this is what my interviewer told me) and begin a horizontal integration of the basic sciences and a vertical integration of the clinical sciences.

I think it's looking like a great program. I hope I get that acceptance letter from their interview this past week.

what i enjoyed about the school when i shadowed there in internal med, plastics, anesthesia, and trauma surgery is how friendly the students are. also, how knowledgeable the residents and attendings are. they truly were individuals that created a learning environment that i would excel in.

in addition, the scope of individuals that come in to froedhert hospital is vast and i think being trained there would be great.