MD MD Class of 2022 How we feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a rising M3, knowing there will soon be 2 classes with even greater debt loads and reduced earning potential than mine provides a small measure of solace. Class of 2022, thank you for your service.

Where are you getting the reduced earning potential from lol

Members don't see this ad.

What are you like actually studying? Like what could you possibly study for medical school that will prepare you? Especially since you don't even know what you need to learn?

Board prep? Like, most schools teach for Step 1? I think that sounds like a good place to start?

I mean.....

I'm interested in ortho, but I'm pretty sure M1 is going to kick my butt regardless of my interest in ortho/whether or not I prestudy/how much I cry during the first month, so it's all about perspective I guess
Haha. What I’m referring to is different than being interested in ortho (or whatever specialty). It’s fine to be interested. But some are so ridiculous that they work it into every sentence how they’re going into a competitive field.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning to just skim through it; definitely not reading the whole thing. A friend of mine did the same and found it really helpful. Not planning to spend too much time on this though. 1-2 days max :)

Do you understand that FA will literally make no sense to you without having learned your preclinical classes in a more formal setting? First Aid is literally just a ton of word associations with no context. You don't learn the basis of any of the topic material in that book, it expects you to already know that before through your classes. It's just a bunch of high yield factoids.

Reactions: 1 user
Many of you will fail your exams, struggle with mental health, confidence and contemplate dropping out numerous of times during first year. Just letting you know that it will get better and you will rise above it. But this is going to be a **** storm for some people and its important to have a good network around you to help you get through.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you understand that FA will literally make no sense to you without having learned your preclinical classes in a more formal setting? First Aid is literally just a ton of word associations with no context. You don't learn the basis of any of the topic material in that book, it expects you to already know that before through your classes. It's just a bunch of high yield factoids.
This is exactly why I won't be pre-studying for med. I looked at some prep books and it was just filled with words and no context

let them be try hards, it doesnt hurt any of us so why does everyone care or go out of their way to let them know how idiotic prestudying is good lord were all gunna be doctors in 4 years

Haha. What I’m referring to is different than being interested in ortho (or whatever specialty). It’s fine to be interested. But some are so ridiculous that they work it into every sentence how they’re going into a competitive field.
Yeah I gotcha, it's just unfortunate that my first medical interest is a gunner field :unsure::laugh:

How can you say with so much certainty that pre-studying won't help, if you didn't do it yourself?

I can tell you with 100% certainty it won’t help. At all. But if you feel like you know best without ever actually being a medical student then go ahead, I really couldn’t care less if you waste the last free summer of your life.

Not everyone feels that studying pre-clinical material is a job- some people actually enjoy it (masochists probably)

Just because it’s a job doesn’t mean people can’t like it. I love it, doesn’t change the fact that it’s a job. The whole “life long learning” line doesn’t mean anything in this context.

Board prep? Like, most schools teach for Step 1? I think that sounds like a good place to start?
:rofl:

2) Not everyone feels that studying pre-clinical material is a job- some people actually enjoy it (masochists probably)
tumblr_ovdhhyAZ141r6u871o7_400.gif

This is the only thing I’d be a masochist for.

Last edited:
I've been finally catching up on the MCU, gonna see Infinity War in theatres at the end of this week!

Reactions: 1 users
Sooo.... all this discussion of studying aside, to respond to the original question:

I'M FEELIN' GOOD BABY! FEELIN' GOOD!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am SO excited!!! a little nervous but just so ready to get this show on the road. Been dreaming of this for so long. Doesn't really seem real.

Reactions: 6 users
I can tell you with 100% certainty it won’t help. At all. But if you feel like you know best without ever actually being a medical student then go ahead, I really couldn’t care less if you waste the last free summer of your life.

Just because it’s a job doesn’t mean people can’t like it. I love it, doesn’t change the fact that it’s a job. The whole “life long learning” line doesn’t mean anything in this context.

:rofl:

A lot of this varies on a person to person basis. My situation is a lot different from other people- non trad applicant who was accepted in the fall and finished grad school already. I’ve been on break for 6 months up to this point, but please keep telling me all about how to live my life when you know nothing about it

I'm trying to get German vocab to stick in my head, visiting family abroad and praying a recently Tuberculosis-diagnosed relative didn't infect me.

Enjoy your last Summer of George, class of 22!

Last edited:
A lot of this varies on a person to person basis. My situation is a lot different from other people- non trad applicant who was accepted in the fall and finished grad school already. I’ve been on break for 6 months up to this point, but please keep telling me all about how to live my life when you know nothing about it
In every one of these threads, theres that die hard pre-study person who explains how theyre different from everyone else. Classic!

FFS.

Pre-Study, don't pre-study. Do whatever the hell you want, there's no need to boast about it on an anonymous thread.

In every one of these threads, theres that die hard pre-study person who explains how theyre different from everyone else. Classic!

What are you getting out of picking a fight with someone who isn't going change their minds? Let them do them. If they think they're a special snowflake and are above taking your advice, shrug and move on.

Yea but just, like, make $hit up though?
I’m not. You can do a search yourself. In fact, in one thread, I was that non-trad with special circumstances who tries to explain how I would benefit from it. I’m really glad I didn’t. I mean, watching sketchy wouldn’t have been terrible I guess. But it wouldn’t have put me ahead of the game really.
FFS.

Pre-Study, don't pre-study. Do whatever the hell you want, there's no need to boast about it on an anonymous thread.

What are you getting out of picking a fight with someone who isn't going change their minds? Let them do them. If they think they're a special snowflake and are above taking your advice, shrug and move on.
You’re right. Just trying to avoid studying for finals because I’m so burnt out. I’ll leave it alone.

FFS.

For the record, I wasn’t boasting. I just saw everyone talking about how pre studying is stupid and wanted to give my input.

But I agree with the rest of your post. I’m a special snowflake who cannot be deterred

Great :)
Now that everyone on both sides of that debate is putting away their dicks and rulers....

I REALLY want to do this breweries across America road trip, but all my friends are either MS2's and studying for STEP or real adults with jobs that can't take a month off to do this with me :(

1496936555635564838.png

I'm working out a lot but in between the workouts I'm turning into a sloth who eats a lot of fruit snacks.
SAME! except extra toasty cheese its instead of fruit snacks
Now that everyone on both sides of that debate is putting away their dicks and rulers....

I REALLY want to do this breweries across America road trip, but all my friends are either MS2's and studying for STEP or real adults with jobs that can't take a month off to do this with me :(

1496936555635564838.png
OMG I would love to do this!! One of the things Im going to miss most about my hometown is the brew scene! (Beer City USA!)

Lol, sure man. Knock yourself out with as much “board studying” as you want. There is literally someone just like you every year, who thinks all the medical students here are wrong and they know best without having ever done anything.

For the record, half my class is non-trad, myself included. You aren’t as different as you think.

Because it revs my engine.

Lol jk, I just have nothing better to do and find the stupidity of it all mildly entertaining.

I'm not pre-studying, but I am enjoying ordering a book here and there (FA, and I just ordered my anatomy atlas because it was discounted on Amazon)

Been traveling, working, and I'm currently visiting my sister. Need to plan a trip to visit my other sister before all the craziness of M1 begins.

I'm excited, nervous (imposter syndrome, anyone?). Sometimes I think I'm ready, and others I'm thinking "what have I gotten myself into???" Gonna find out in a few short month! :D

I'm not pre-studying, but I am enjoying ordering a book here and there (FA, and I just ordered my anatomy atlas because it was discounted on Amazon)

Been traveling, working, and I'm currently visiting my sister. Need to plan a trip to visit my other sister before all the craziness of M1 begins.

I'm excited, nervous (imposter syndrome, anyone?). Sometimes I think I'm ready, and others I'm thinking "what have I gotten myself into???" Gonna find out in a few short month! :D

Lol... This guy! :whistle:

1496936555635564838.png

Do the bourbon trail instead.

Less traveling, stronger -OH

Looking forward to quitting my job! :clap:

Reactions: 14 users
Well I have kids so that’s what I’m doing. And packing to move them and all their millions of legos over 2300 miles. Drink for me.

Reactions: 22 users
Well I have kids so that’s what I’m doing. And packing to move them and all their millions of legos over 2300 miles. Drink for me.
I have no idea how you guys with kids do it

Reactions: 5 users
Same here!!! July 1st is my last day yay
June 15th! But I'm unfortunately in a physics 2 class doesn't end until june 21st :/ last requirement I need, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't take it earlier cause my school starts SO early.

Lol jk, I just have nothing better to do and find the stupidity of it all mildly entertaining.
Don’t ya love how the med students have nothing better to do but the pre-meds are trying to study for boards?

Don’t ya love how the med students have nothing better to do but the pre-meds are trying to study for boards?

I love how on any thread where people mention pre-studying they get pounded on, but if you go to a thread about studying for Step 1 people say “it’s literally never too early to start studying for step 1”.. and in the end people will just do what they want anyway. :shrug:

Reactions: 3 users
I got diagnosed with strep and mono and also crashed my car today. So I will be chilling sadly until I start in med school in June.

I love how on any thread where people mention pre-studying they get pounded on, but if you go to a thread about studying for Step 1 people say “it’s literally never too early to start studying for step 1”.. and in the end people will just do what they want anyway. :shrug:

Because they are referring to applying the stuff you learned in MS1 to board studying, not reading review books on information you never learned. People on those threads also say its not beneficial to pre-study stuff youll learn in MS2 as an MS1.

Also love that the class of 2022 makes up less than half of the input on this thread entitled "Class of 2022, How we feeling?" Get a f***ing life M1-3's.

Also love that the class of 2022 makes up less than half of the input on this thread entitled "Class of 2022, How we feeling?" Get a f***ing life M1-3's.

If you don’t like medical students posting on a thread in the medical student forum then do this in pre-allo, which is honestly where this thread belongs.

this thread is so toxic and its not even the premed section. classic sdn

Look, if you need to study before med school starts to score high on step 1, you’re doing it wrong.

Of the several posts I read on people scoring extremely well on the test, not a single one has ever mentioned, “yeah bro studying for step 1 two months before med school really made the difference in getting 250+”.

I don't think pre-studying would make much of a difference (from what I gather from others, obviously) but I have read several threads where people advise starting to study for step1 from day 1 of first year. I'll probably get my First Aid spiral bound and have every intention of annotating it throughout MS1 and 2 and compiling resources.. and then not do any of that and just dust it off March of second year in a frenzy. Should be fine.

Fact: every year around this time, invariably, multiple threads pop up with MS0's asking about about pre-studying
Fact: every one of those pre-studying threads become toxic because MS0's don't understand what med school is actually like, while current med students are incredulous as to why naive, inexperienced pre-meds don't take their advice
Myth: pre-studying will help you
Myth: you should not pre-study under any circumstances
Fact: you should not pre-study with the intention of getting ahead on MS1 or boards
Fact: it's fine to pre-study if you are just browsing for fun and because you are excited to see some of the stuff you will be learning
Myth: you should spend a lot of time pre-studying
Myth: First Aid is a good resource to browse ahead of time
Fact: First Aid is basically a giant collection of factoids that might as well be ancient hieroglyphics if you've not yet learned the material
Fact: if you must pre-study, the most recommended sources to browse would be Boards and Beyond or a physiology book (costanzo or BRS)
Fact: most of you MS0's will be preaching to next year's incoming class that they should not pre-study

Reactions: 10 users
I'm feeling excited to get started, but I will absolutely enjoy every second of these next couple of months by relaxing and getting into shape.

I got diagnosed with strep and mono and also crashed my car today. So I will be chilling sadly until I start in med school in June.

Honestly, good luck to both of you. I'm not sure if strep or stepping on a lego is more painful, but either way you both need the luck.

I'm excited! I ordered a copy of First-Aid today for some summer pre-studying...maybe I'm a bit too enthusiastic?

LOL please don't study preemptively! You'll be wishing you didn't have to study before you know it.

Yeaaaaaa how bout you DONT piss off the people who you’re going to be turning to for advice and recommendations for the next 4 years? Mmmmmkay?

Last edited:
I don't think pre-studying would make much of a difference (from what I gather from others, obviously) but I have read several threads where people advise starting to study for step1 from day 1 of first year. I'll probably get my First Aid spiral bound and have every intention of annotating it throughout MS1 and 2 and compiling resources.. and then not do any of that and just dust it off March of second year in a frenzy. Should be fine.

Oooh thanks for reminding me about spiral-bound texts. I used to do that all the time in college and totally forgot about it!

Since people are talking about when to start studying for step 1, I'll offer this advice: different things work for different people. Some people feel the need to start seriously studying the summer between M1/M2, and that's fine. Others don't start studying until the semester of their exam, and some don't start studying at all until dedicated. There are many people who fall into each of those categories that end up doing very well on step. So don't worry about the people who are saying that you NEED to start studying right away. If you know that that's going to be too overwhelming for you, or that you're not going to retain stuff you're studying for a test that's two years away, then don't study for step during M1. Most people don't start during M1, besides following along their courses with First Aid and Pathoma/Sketchy if necessary, and most do fine on Step.

I've realized that the sooner you stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and start doing what's best for you, the better.

Reactions: 11 users