MD MD Class of 2022 How we feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm excited to start and kind of ready for this weird transition period to be over (I'm sure I'll regret saying that in a couple months lol).

In the meantime I'm quitting my job June 15th and I'm going to spend as much time with family/friends as possible, hit the gym, hit the beach, drink as much apple pie cider as I can, and go to Disney World since I'll be moving away for med school. I wanted to backpack Europe but this application cycle/moving got me broke af +pity+, so instead I'll probably drink around the world at Epcot a few times and pretend I'm actually traveling.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 19 users
Was riding in the car with an uncle this weekend. He asked me when classes start. I told him in August.

He followed with a what are you doing in the meantime. I told him initially I wanted to visit Australia for 3 weeks, but applying tapped me out of $$, so I am just chillaxing.

Without a word, he gave me a look that implied I was being lazy.

LOL. Can't choose one's family...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm excited to start and kind of ready for this weird transition period to be over (I'm sure I'll regret saying that in a couple months lol).

In the meantime I'm quitting my job June 15th and I'm going to spend as much time with family/friends as possible, hit the gym, hit the beach, drink as much apple pie cider as I can, and go to Disney World since I'll be moving away for med school. I wanted to backpack Europe but this application cycle/moving got me broke af +pity+, so instead I'll probably drink around the world at Epcot a few times and pretend I'm actually traveling.
My situation is almost exactly the same, except I’ll be going to Disneyland all the time instead of Disney World! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm daily counting down the days left of work I have (26 after today!) and wishing I could quit every day lol. However, I paid for an expensive month long trip abroad I'm taking in July so I need to keep working to pay that off! I'm going to use that month to relax, catch up on some reading, and hopefully improve my foreign language.

Still super excited to start though, but right now I'm excited to have so much time off for the first time in years lol

Recently finished my first pass of uworld (83%correct), hoping to mature Zanki before orientation

Reactions: 9 users
I'm jealous of those who are traveling before medical school :( I totally wish I could. The application process + a period of unemployment has seriously put me in some major CC debt. I'm scratching my head over how I'm going to pay it off with the tiny amount of money my med school is giving me for living expenses.

The struggles of being low/middle income :(

Reactions: 1 users
I'm looking forward to quitting and hopefully lowering my CC debt (oh hell did this cycle increase it). Other than that will be taking about a month off while I finish planning my move somehow

ALSO! Trying to deal with the imposter syndrome!

Feeling SO excited and grateful to even be in this position!

.....annnd scared to my core that I won't be able to hack it because my MCAT score was sub-par :/

Reactions: 4 users
Was riding in the car with an uncle this weekend. He asked me when classes start. I told him in August.

He followed with a what are you doing in the meantime. I told him initially I wanted to visit Australia for 3 weeks, but applying tapped me out of $$, so I am just chillaxing.

Without a word, he gave me a look that implied I was being lazy.

LOL. Can't choose one's family...

This is my parents. When I told them I was quitting my job this month so I can relax for the next two before school starts, they both sorta rolled their eyes and commented that I am a bum. My dad wants me to come over and mow his lawn because of all the free time I will have this summer. I'll surprise him a few times, but I stopped being the full-time lawn care team when I moved out of the house.

All these comments about long trips is exhibit A of the average wealth of the medical school matriculant.

Anyone else not going on some month-long european excursion because they have 500$ in their account before loans kick in?

Reactions: 28 users
All these comments about long trips is exhibit A of the average wealth of the medical school matriculant.

Anyone else not going on some month-long european excursion because they have 500$ in their account before loans kick in?
Me! I am praying i get a day trip at this point lol

Meeeee lol this application cycle got my bank account STRUGGLIN'

Still gonna quit my job in 3 weeks tho because yolo

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Nah Im only rockin like $250 in my account, plus a Burger King gift card

Reactions: 10 users

ehh ive been working for two years, I am not ashamed to have some savings. Not using all on a trip though (not because I think its a bad idea) but will probably put towards loans day 1

-$.50 here! Plus I just found out how much all of these 3rd party study materials cost, so I'll be working all summer so that I can study when it's the "proper" time ;-) I do have plans to vacation once school is done, though. I promised my kids Disney World.

Leaving my job next week and gonna just chill until August. So excited!!

I've gotten so used to working that the idea of being off for weeks at a time, as well as not having the different environment to escape to during med school kind of freaks me out. I think I may have a problem....

Congrats to the incoming class! A tip for accessing different 3rd party resources. If you guys have a student government or some really gung-ho leader-types that are good in organizing things for your class, you should be able to get a decent group discount for pathoma, sketchy, etc. if enough people are interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

Im not going on a trip sadly due to being low on money :(. Gotta use that money to fly to my school and get settled in. All these pics I see on IG of friends going to Europe, etc. are not helping :(

Debating on whether I should break up with my boyfriend of 7 years before school starts or after....( I need him to help me move up there lol)

damn ur cold

If I stay with him in med school, it'll be a long distance relationship. Also, after 7 years he hasn't proposed...so I honestly don't see where this relationship could go.

If I stay with him in med school, it'll be a long distance relationship. Also, after 7 years he hasn't proposed...so I honestly don't see where this relationship could go.

How old are you guys? 22? 23? Have you talked to him about marriage or long distance?

How old are you guys? 22? 23? Have you talked to him about marriage or long distance?
I’m closer to thirty and he’s 5 years older than me. He says he doesn’t know if marriage is for him but that IF he would get married, he’d choose to marry me...whatever that means.

He said he will come visit once a month but he’s known to be sort of unreliable when it comes to things like that. I probably would only see him once every couple of months if that.

I’m closer to thirty and he’s 5 years older than me. He says he doesn’t know if marriage is for him but that IF he would get married, he’d choose to marry me...whatever that means.

He said he will come visit once a month but he’s known to be sort of unreliable when it comes to things like that. I probably would only see him once every couple of months if that.

Sounds like maybe you're making the right decision then.

Reactions: 2 users

It sounds like he’s just not that into being in a relationship. You could let him help with the move and then the relationship will likely fade over time with the distance. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

It sounds like he’s just not that into being in a relationship. You could let him help with the move and then the relationship will likely fade over time with the distance. Best of luck!

So actually end it or let the relationship fade?

Why have him help her move? Man u girls are cold.

Gonna have him spend a day moving stuff then dump him after the last suitcase is moved?

Why have him help her move? Man u girls are cold.

Gonna have him spend a day moving stuff then dump him after the last suitcase is moved?
Lmao ya’ll making it sound like I’m emptying his bank account and stranding him on an island.

Tough call. I’d personally feel weird planning to end it, but waiting until a specific time. I’d probably end it sooner - before moving - and have less ambiguity going into school (fewer expectations, the feeling of freedom, not feeling like I was waiting for him to visit, etc.). But in all likelihood, even if you decided to stay together, it sounds like it would kind of just end over time regardless - which might be easier, depending on the situation. What’s your gut feeling? There’s always a small chance that a breakup could suddenly help him realize how much he likes you and wants to be together. Or you may find out in two years that he’s suddenly married to someone else despite what he has always said. You will have to be prepared for both possibilities. I would do what will be best for you emotionally and set you up for success in school. That might look different for you than someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

He says he doesn’t know if marriage is for him but that IF he would get married, he’d choose to marry me...whatever that means.

41-Qq6SLCXL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

End it with maturity for a clean slate in the next chapter of your life...

Reactions: 11 users

I am backpacking for two months and have been self-supporting since I graduated from college with $50k+ in debt. Paid off my undergrad debt and was smart with my money the past 3 years so I could afford applications and a life.

Open up your brain tanks brahs.

I am backpacking for two months and have been self-supporting since I graduated from college with $50k+ in debt. Paid off my undergrad debt and was smart with my money the past 3 years so I could afford applications and a life.

Open up your brain tanks brahs.

*slow claps*
Congrats. Everyone is different

*slow claps*
Congrats. Everyone is different
That is exactly my point - I am not wealthy nor from a wealthy family, and I am traveling. I think it's single-minded to chalk up people's financial stability to their parents' income.

Update: Suddenly decided I'm bored with life and am going to buy a keyboard and teach myself to play piano.

wtf am I doing :eek::wtf:

Update: Suddenly decided I'm bored with life and am going to buy a keyboard and teach myself to play piano.

wtf am I doing :eek::wtf:

FYI it's pretty hard to learn piano as an adult because of the two independent hands thing. But if that doesn't sound discouraging, then be sure to get a keyboard with weighted keys.

41-Qq6SLCXL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

End it with maturity for a clean slate in the next chapter of your life...

I agree with this - fewer questions going into medical school. Clean slate. But HOW the relationship is ended could make a pretty big difference - and that is more along the lines of straight breakup vs fading the relationship out. The conversation could be along the lines of, “I don’t think I can make this relationship work long-distance. So once I move, I think we should consider seeing other people, etc.” It’s a tough call on exactly when you consider the relationship over. Break up now and never see each other again while living in the same city? Or do you say that this starts when you go to medical school? I haven’t done this before, so I can’t say what option is best for this relationship. It sounds like having a conversation now about the status of the relationship in medical school may be an option. Or having a conversation now that is basically breaking up from this point forward could be an option. OP will have to make that decision. I’m not sure either is “more mature” or better - each has a benefit and a drawback.

FYI it's pretty hard to learn piano as an adult because of the two independent hands thing. But if that doesn't sound discouraging, then be sure to get a keyboard with weighted keys.

Haha yeah I actually have some experience with independent hand coordination so hopefully that helps enough to get me going. I'm honestly just bored and looking for something to challenge myself with in my spare time since I've been out of school for a few months. I'm looking into digital pianos with weighted keys! Thanks!!

I'll be in Europe for almost 6 weeks before I start school and I assure you I have less than $1,000 in my account right now. If you travel smart it can be affordable. I put back money all year to grab a plane ticket and a couple train tickets and I'll be doing a work-exchange so my cost of living over there will be essentially $0.

I'd highly recommend the sites 'workaway' or 'wwoof' to anyone who wants to take an international trip but doesn't have a lot of money to blow. If you can afford a plane ticket to your destination and some other minor costs you can stay for weeks/months all around the world if you're willing to live with people and do a little work. I've done it a couple times and I highly prefer this method over all other forms of travel now.

Just FYI...

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
It's hard to decide what to do because I don't know how I'm going to react and cope. Moving far away is a scary idea, and not having him as a support is even scarier. There are pros and cons to ending it now vs later. I'm just trying to decide what is best for me. I'm just more worried about how I'm going to react to this afterwards.

It's hard to decide what to do because I don't know how I'm going to react and cope. Moving far away is a scary idea, and not having him as a support is even scarier. There are pros and cons to ending it now vs later. I'm just trying to decide what is best for me. I'm just more worried about how I'm going to react to this afterwards.

This. I completely agree - this is not a cut and dry or easy decision. you will have emotions you cannot possibly predict now. On a forum it can sound so easy - just break up with him and move on. But seven years is a long time. It does sound like a breakup is the right thing to do, but how to do it is more complicated. However, the fact that you are thinking so seriously about it now might mean the decision will be weighing on you for the next few months, which might be more stressful than discussing it with him now. Perhaps having a discussion about where you both see yourselves in a few months and what he thinks about a long distance relationship may be in order now. This could (probably will) lead to some kind of breakup. But that might be better for your mental health during school than wondering about what you should do leading up to it. I’ve only been through two breakups. Don’t want to repeat those. But I do think wondering about what you should do might take a greater toll on you than taking that first step and moving forward sooner rather than later. Don’t be too surprised if you still talk and hang out for a while after you discuss everything. It’s hard to just cut something off with that much history.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That is exactly my point - I am not wealthy nor from a wealthy family, and I am traveling. I think it's single-minded to chalk up people's financial stability to their parents' income.

I'm able to travel because I'm a nontrad in my 30s. My financial situation, which has never been dependent on my parents, is just different.

Reactions: 7 users
I finished my AmeriCorps service and got my tax refund last week! I decided to celebrate by getting a wrist tattoo! It turned out really well and I love it! The downside is that I’m going to be living at home before school starts, so I’ll need to hide it for the next 8 weeks :)

I finished my AmeriCorps service and got my tax refund last week! I decided to celebrate by getting a wrist tattoo! It turned out really well and I love it! The downside is that I’m going to be living at home before school starts, so I’ll need to hide it for the next 8 weeks :)
I have to hold my shirts up to the window to make sure they're not see through for similar reasons...:laugh:

I would say if you’re questioning this relationship because of the long distance, then you should wait to see how you guys actually function when apart like that. Maybe he will visit once a month, or you might just like the space of a long distance relationship while in med school, or maybe it will go terribly, but I wouldn’t break up because it might go poorly. Especially after you have 7 years together. However, if the lack of a proposal is more the issue, then i think it would be time to break up, since that’s been an ongoing issue.

This. Thank you so much for pointing out that the travel abilities are part of the income disparities because of the varying backgrounds of premeds. I read some AAMC data last night from the 2017 MCQ that only like 1/4 of matriculants had loans from undergrad? That is unbelievably low to me!.. And 40% of matriculants have parents who have a Master's degree or higher. (As people have said earlier parental wealth doesn't always equal student wealth, but for the people moving from undergrad straight to MD there wasn't much time to work and save. Bravo to those pre-meds who worked through undergrad)