MD/DO applicatns regarding essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akzeno

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if the AMCAS and the AACOM essay question for the primary application is the same and if so, should I just copy and paste the same essay for both applications?

Members don't see this ad.

they are different but i dont have specific numbers. Wish i did i need to know too.

amcas is 5300 characters (including spaces, etc.) and asks why you want to go to medical school..the osteopathic one is fewer characters and asks pretty much the same question..i copied and pasted my essay from amcas to the aacomas and had to adjust it quite a bit to get it down to the specified number of characters.

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically, it's the same question so you don't have to change the plot of the essay other than cut it down by a few characters?

i didn't change it a bit besides shortening the length..i think the aacomas is more of a "why do you want to be a doctor" sort of question, but i used the same essay for both and got acceptances to both allopathic and osteopathic schools..must have done something right. :)

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if the AMCAS and the AACOM essay question for the primary application is the same and if so, should I just copy and paste the same essay for both applications?

are you referring to the personal statement? or is this something different.

AACOMAS was just shorter character limit. i just cut out a few sentences from my AMCAS essay.

For some reason the character limit of 3000 pops into my head for AACOMAS. It is available today at 9:30 a.m.

2 years ago these were the limits, don't know if they've changed:
AACOMAS was 4500 (w/spaces)
AMCAS was 5300 (w/spaces)

I was able to trim my AMCAS down to fit into AACOMAS, the topic matter is sufficiently open to interpretation that you may use the same essay.

I wrote this on another thread but am trying here. Why does the MD application say 5300 characters "or one full page" but one full page is far less than 5300 characters?

Are you including the '5300 characters WITH SPACES'?

yes. single spaced. normal margins. half of a page is about 1700 with spaces. what am i seeing wrong?

yes. single spaced. normal margins. half of a page is about 1700 with spaces. what am i seeing wrong?

When you use Microsoft Word spellcheck to do the character count, it does NOT include spaces OR the hard returns.

2 years ago these were the limits, don't know if they've changed:
AACOMAS was 4500 (w/spaces)
AMCAS was 5300 (w/spaces)

I was able to trim my AMCAS down to fit into AACOMAS, the topic matter is sufficiently open to interpretation that you may use the same essay.

these numbers are still the same