• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

MD/DO applicatns regarding essay

akzeno

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
WI
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if the AMCAS and the AACOM essay question for the primary application is the same and if so, should I just copy and paste the same essay for both applications?

username313

bilateral gynandromorph!
    10+ Year Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    1. Pre-Medical
      amcas is 5300 characters (including spaces, etc.) and asks why you want to go to medical school..the osteopathic one is fewer characters and asks pretty much the same question..i copied and pasted my essay from amcas to the aacomas and had to adjust it quite a bit to get it down to the specified number of characters.

About the Ads

username313

bilateral gynandromorph!
      10+ Year Member
      Mar 3, 2008
      1. Pre-Medical
        i didn't change it a bit besides shortening the length..i think the aacomas is more of a "why do you want to be a doctor" sort of question, but i used the same essay for both and got acceptances to both allopathic and osteopathic schools..must have done something right. :)

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
        10+ Year Member
        Dec 22, 2007
        1. Fellow [Any Field]
          Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if the AMCAS and the AACOM essay question for the primary application is the same and if so, should I just copy and paste the same essay for both applications?

are you referring to the personal statement? or is this something different.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
          Moderator Emeritus
          15+ Year Member
          Platinum Member
          Nov 2, 2004
          SOCMOB
          1. Attending Physician
            For some reason the character limit of 3000 pops into my head for AACOMAS. It is available today at 9:30 a.m.

2 years ago these were the limits, don't know if they've changed:
            AACOMAS was 4500 (w/spaces)
            AMCAS was 5300 (w/spaces)

I was able to trim my AMCAS down to fit into AACOMAS, the topic matter is sufficiently open to interpretation that you may use the same essay.

p30doc

Ever true and unwavering
            10+ Year Member
            Aug 22, 2007
            1. Attending Physician
              2 years ago these were the limits, don't know if they've changed:
              AACOMAS was 4500 (w/spaces)
              AMCAS was 5300 (w/spaces)

I was able to trim my AMCAS down to fit into AACOMAS, the topic matter is sufficiently open to interpretation that you may use the same essay.

these numbers are still the same

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.