md only practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastosprintini

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
after 10 years of supervising crna's i finally saw the light and moved to an all physician group.....
i know there are several threads regarding the subject , so here my $0.02 :
the difference is amazing, i actually provide anesthetic care on my own instead doing non stop pre/post op crap and bailing out crna's who did not have the sense to plan further than "pent/sux/tube" without any plan b
(dr. sprintini to room 5 stat!) . i am treated as a physician and am a member of a well respected group . the techs and the or nurses have a clear understanding that their job is to support the docs and do so eagerly.
yes, we do work, and yes, the salary is a little lower than in a crna mill , but the payoff in gross domestic happiness is priceless...
regards to all of you (pod , noyac etc.) who do the same , it is obviously possible to work as an anesthesiologist without "midlevels".
fasto

Members don't see this ad.

Going on 15 years working 1:1 . Solo practice most of the time interspersed with a couple year alliance with a gentlemen who decide he could steal from the groups profits. I've only met a few MD's locally that I respect enough to partner up with, if it was needed. Otherwise , yes the financial rewards are fewer solo, but my job satisfaction has been greater than I EVER expected while learning the craft. As long as I have good night sleep behind me , I really love my work. I answer to no-one (almost) and work with a great crew of nurses. The other local solo MD who picks up the slack has been an invaluable resource in helping me develop my own comfortable style. I didn't know a practice like mine existed upon graduation. It's simple to begin. State license, malpractice, DEA cert., Medicare billing #'s if you so choose and a smile can be the start of a nice career. You kids on the forum here talking about achieving these crazy high salaries need to hear more stories like ours. Once you bury your first buddy with millions in the bank you'll hopefully understand what I can't express here all that well, cause I can't write for sheet. It really is the JOURNEY and not about the destination. Have a great day everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
after 10 years of supervising crna's i finally saw the light and moved to an all physician group.....
i know there are several threads regarding the subject , so here my $0.02 :
the difference is amazing, i actually provide anesthetic care on my own instead doing non stop pre/post op crap and bailing out crna's who did not have the sense to plan further than "pent/sux/tube" without any plan b
(dr. sprintini to room 5 stat!) . i am treated as a physician and am a member of a well respected group . the techs and the or nurses have a clear understanding that their job is to support the docs and do so eagerly.
yes, we do work, and yes, the salary is a little lower than in a crna mill , but the payoff in gross domestic happiness is priceless...
regards to all of you (pod , noyac etc.) who do the same , it is obviously possible to work as an anesthesiologist without "midlevels".
fasto
:laugh::laugh::laugh: "Sprint"... ini. :laugh::laugh:

Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

yep been doing my own cases for 7 years now.

do everything from hearts to neuro to big backs to some kids..

still cant get out of the 300-350 range.

Better mental health benefits though. We are 95% ACT practice. My best days are in a room by myself. Although I know I'd be happier and healthier, I am not sure it was a bad choice to go for the bucks. I can pay for my kid's private school without breaking a sweat and I can see the white's of the eyes of FU money...not quite there yet though.

FU money... living the dream...

Funny you posted this. A job I have lusted after in the past is available now. I'm seriously considering giving up academics for a MD only gig in a nice city. I love teaching, but my best days are on my own, ass in the chair. It's a fair practice as well. Tough decision, they don't hire often, though it will be open again I'm sure in a few years. A significant number of the partners are approaching retirement.

FU money, by the standard of:

1. not having to ever worry about my kids education, living simply, paid for house, having health insurance, driving low end cars without ever working.
2. living large, and traveling without having to earn an income.

I am almost at #1. #2 is still a long way off.

I am in an MD-only private practice. I have never had to supervise anyone (except for residents when i was working in an academic practice.) I enjoy 99% of my days at work.

I make more than my simple lifestyle will ever need. Furthermore, I am lucky to enjoy my job enough that I wouldn't want to be sitting at home, without work.

1. not having to ever worry about my kids education, living simply, paid for house, having health insurance, driving low end cars without ever working.

I always thought FU money was enough to be out of work for a year at your current standard of living, able to pay your tail, etc. As in, go to work one day, say "FU bastards! I'm out of here", and go home. Take a break and than think about looking for a new job. I guess I set my sights too low.:laugh:
I suppose now that many new guys would have to include enough to get out of an upside down mortgage.

I'm in academics and supervising 95% of the time (CRNAs and residents) and I can't imagine ever getting even to #1, much less #2. What's your secret?

I'm in academics and supervising 95% of the time (CRNAs and residents) and I can't imagine ever getting even to #1, much less #2. What's your secret?

what does supervising 95%of time mean? 5 percent is that giving breaks?

My full time gig is working in a MD only department. I have experience supervising because I spend about 10% of my time doing locums. My happiness factor is so much higher when I'm doing my own cases. Residents, please choose MD only practice for the good of the specialty and for your own happiness. It's a great lifestyle balance with job satisfaction.