MD/PhD Chances? What do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oxalis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first thread as I was really hoping to get some advice. I'm in my senior year and looking to apply this Spring to MD/PhD programs. I was originally gearing for an MD program, and I'm still open to it, but I've had some incredible experiences with research (2+ years and tough to go into super detail about it on a thread) and after reading a ton about the differences between the two degrees I feel that the MD/PhD route lines up more with my interests. (I'm also looking at a year's worth of additional research in a specific post-bac program outside of my university to fill the gap between my undergrad and med school entry). However, I'm not sure what schools to specifically look at or if I'm really all that competitive for an MD/PhD program. My general stats (without getting too far into specifics) are:

3.9 GPA at a public university (science and non-science both hover pretty much at this).
514 MCAT (130, 126, 130, 128 with an overall 91st percentile) - I think this score is the biggest dent in my application to an MD/PhD, although I did still score 130s in the chem/phys and bio/biochem sections.
500+ hours of volunteering at a hospital over the course of a few years (I've also done some volunteering outside of a healthcare setting).
100+ hours of shadowing.
2 academic years of TA'ing and tutoring.
2 years of student government.
A little over 2 years of research - no publications yet (prospect of a published paper are high though) but multiple presentations and a conference. Again, will be spending a year in a one-year post-bac program geared towards research.

I'm not sure what all else might be helpful to gauge my chances but any experienced insight would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

With the 1 gap year in full-time research you will be competitive for MD/PhD. Read up on the Physician Scientist forum about the process / how to know if you're competitive. It's really much simpler than MD-only. Research experience / accomplishments / letters from research mentors > MCAT/GPA >>> all other ECs.

No more clinical experience is necessary. Just focus on research.

Good (rough) way to know if you should apply MD/PhD, ask yourself, Do you want to run a lab? Do you want to be a PI? If yes, MD/PhD provides really good preparation for that. Do you want to do basic science or clinical research? The closer you are to the bench, the more appropriate the dual-degree is. Do you want a primarily research career, moreso than clinical? MD/PhD is a good option if yes. etc

You'd be competitive at many schools. Might have a tougher time at programs with really competitive medical schools but I have had a lot of success with only a marginally better MCAT score (516).

Reactions: 1 users