MD-PhD: University of Michigan vs. University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pBar

MSTP c/o 2028
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been very fortunate thus far regarding my MD/PhD application cycle and have been provided offers at two of my top choice programs, UF and U. Mich. For some context, I'm a non-traditional, social-science MD/PhD degree seeker, and will be focusing my research on implementation science and health-policy. I grew up for the most part in Florida, went to undergraduate at a large, state, institution in Florida, and all my family, friends, and long term significant other are all in the same state.

University of Florida (PhD in Health Implementation Science)
Pros
  • Staying close to family, friends, and support system (This is very important to me)
  • Warm weather year round (my Floridian blood is thin)
  • MD-PhD program very willing to work with me to ensure that I can pursue a dissertation in what truly interests myself
  • I felt like I could really see myself with the student body at UF, student during interview as well as other interviewees seemed like a really good fit
  • Cost of living in Gainseville is extremely affordable and the stipend offered goes a long way
  • Program has a strong focus on inter-professional team building in research
  • Small MD-PhD class cohort (4-5 students)

Cons
  • MD-PhD program is only ~10 years old, only two classes have so far matched into residency (however the match list from those two classes has been very good, with about half of students matching in-house and the others matching to top tier programs)
  • Program definitely does not have the name recognition like U. Mich
  • Gainseville, while close to home, is honestly not my top choice in places to live
  • While many research faculty are working on projects that are in a derivative nature to what I would like to focus on, there are currently no faculty directly focusing on what I am most keen with.
  • Only one other student has so far completed the MD-PhD program in health implementation science through UF's COM, so I would have to worry about trail blazing a little bit

University of Michigan (PhD in Health Infrastructure and Learning Systems)
Pros
  • Program is better recognized at national level and been established much longer, which may lead to better opportunities down the road
  • There are faculty members in the Health Infrastructure and Learning System program who are directly working on research areas that I'm specifically interested in
  • While part of me wants to stay in FL, part of me wants to be able to go somewhere to experience seasons
  • I really liked Ann Arbor, while it has a college town feel like Gainseville, something about it was much more "liveable"
  • Multiple students have completed the selected PhD program from the COM, therefore I would not have to worry about establishing president as much

Cons
  • Winters! While I feel like I could learn to live in Michigan winters, growing up in Florida, the prospect does sound a little crazy. Definitely something I'm unsure of if I would want to put up with for 8 years...
  • Would be pretty far removed from my support system
  • Larger MD/PhD class size (8-15 students)
  • I felt like somewhat of an outsider with the other students interviewing. Coming from a large-state, non T20 university, I felt a little uncomfortable around so many applicants coming from top tier programs. I figure these attitudes would diminish after matriculating, however it did not leave a good taste in my mouth with most of the people I interviewed with...
  • More expensive cost of living

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptances!

I really think Michigan is the better choice for your professional goals. You’ll get used to the weather and will be able to form a support system during your time there. Imposter syndrome is real, but you deserve to be there just as much as anyone else and you’ve worked hard.

For the PhD, make sure you find a mentor who not only does research you like, but is also someone you can get along with for several years. Don’t underestimate the importance of finding a PI with a good personality. Congratulations again.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.