MD Shadowing - Provide a Resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestrokes14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When asking doctors if you could shadow, would you provide a Resume for their convenience. Normally I would just go ahead and do it, but it would be kind of odd to dish out my Resume multiple times (since I will surely have to contact many doctors). How would you guys introduce yourselves to the doctors?

Members don't see this ad.

Most college students don't have a resume.

Members don't see this ad :)
A resume is used when you're looking for a professional job. Why you would have one while you're in undergrad is beyond me.

When asking doctors if you could shadow, would you provide a Resume for their convenience. Normally I would just go ahead and do it, but it would be kind of odd to dish out my Resume multiple times (since I will surely have to contact many doctors). How would you guys introduce yourselves to the doctors?
You need a resume. Oh and don't forget a cover letter and a bribe to accompany your resume!

Good question. Some actually do want one. I just asked them if they'd like to see a CV before allowing me to shadow them.

You're premed, you don't have any qualifications for anything. Best to avoid the issue.

Good question. Some actually do want one. I just asked them if they'd like to see a CV before allowing me to shadow them.

Finally someone who responded nicely to a legit question:thumbup:

If you've ever had an education, a job, done research, won any kinds of awards or recognition, and maybe even volunteer work or community service, then you have a resume. Why not include it? The doctor probably won't look at it but if (s)he does, it'll give him/her the chance to get to know your background and interests. It can't hurt, right?

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to include my resume not to show off, but to give them some evidence that I have done legitimate research and am actually interested in their specialty. I am not trying to shadow just any old doctor.

To the OP, if you have something decent on your resume, absolutely send it along. It shows that you're serious about what you're asking for. The worst case scenario is that they don't care about your resume - if that is true, they just won't read it.

To the posters saying undergrads shouldn't/don't typically have resumes, I have to disagree. You should be maintaining a resume during your undergraduate years with your education, work, and volunteer experience on it. There are two reasons for this: it saves you from having to come up with one on the spot when you graduate, and it is really useful to have some information about yourself available for situations like the one the OP is referring to. And you'll need one for many of the jobs you might apply for during school, as well.

To the OP, if you have something decent on your resume, absolutely send it along. It shows that you're serious about what you're asking for. The worst case scenario is that they don't care about your resume - if that is true, they just won't read it.

To the posters saying undergrads shouldn't/don't typically have resumes, I have to disagree. You should be maintaining a resume during your undergraduate years with your education, work, and volunteer experience on it. There are two reasons for this: it saves you from having to come up with one on the spot when you graduate, and it is really useful to have some information about yourself available for situations like the one the OP is referring to. And you'll need one for many of the jobs you might apply for during school, as well.

correct. beavis and butthead, peter pan and b-wrong are just keeping the sdn pre allo tradition of bashing OP's.

Yeah, this is completely correct.

What premed doesn't have a resume? If you don't, you should make one asap.

And to the OP:

Send it along for sure. If possible, you may want to ask first. At least in my experience, docs don't care as much about a resume (though again, you should still have one anyway). Some might, to at least see that you've shown an interest in medicine.

correct. beavis and butthead, peter pan and b-wrong are just keeping the sdn pre allo tradition of bashing OP's.

What little the typical pre-med could put on a resume/ CV (research or academic awards) is irrelevant to standing in a corner and watching.

Although I didn't provide a resume I don't see how it could hurt. If you have a resume why not provide it ahead of time? It probably won't matter but at least the physician will have access to the info if he/she wanted or needed it.

The others are right though, as far as resume quality is concerned, it probably won't be stunning....you never know though.

I've shadowed 4 different times now and never felt the need to send one along because all I'm doing is observing for a day. If you're going to shadow somewhere long enough to try and get a LOR from them then I would make a CV available at some point, but if you're just going in for a day or two and observing, I wouldn't feel the need to provide one unless they ask (which is highly unlikely).

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to include my resume not to show off, but to give them some evidence that I have done legitimate research and am actually interested in their specialty. I am not trying to shadow just any old doctor.

Mention your specific interests in their specialty and your research in the body of the letter and attach the resume. Some will just ignore it, but others might be interested. What could it hurt?

One of the doctors I shadowed asked to see one. Then he didn't even look at it when I brought it in. lol.

I had one doctor ask me for a resume, so he got one.

I had another doctor ask me for a CV, so he got one.

If they don't ask, I won't give them one.