MD students: Masters before medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Did any of you do a Masters program in physiology, biology etc to gain acceptance to your medical school? If so, how was your experience, and did any particular classes in the Masters program help you for your medical school classes?

Any advice for somebody who will be pursuing such a program and wants to make the most of it in terms of preparation for medical school and beyond? Many of these programs have basic science research components which I feel could be really helpful for future research as a medical student and residency applications. I also think that these programs are good exposure to medical school level work before actually starting one.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Did any of you do a Masters program in physiology, biology etc to gain acceptance to your medical school? If so, how was your experience, and did any particular classes in the Masters program help you for your medical school classes?

Any advice for somebody who will be pursuing such a program and wants to make the most of it in terms of preparation for medical school and beyond? Many of these programs have basic science research components which I feel could be really helpful for future research as a medical student and residency applications. I also think that these programs are good exposure to medical school level work before actually starting one.

This is a question for the pre-allopathic forum.

I did a master's program in kinesiology.

I think the best master's program you can do is an SMP, one where you take medical school classes. Other than that I think you waste time. In my opinion, anyway.

Yeah, agreed. SMP's are helpful, everything else is a waste of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I did a research based master's degree in biomedical engineering due to deciding on medical school right before I graduated with a bachelor's degree. The research I did in grad school gave me a lot of talking points at interviews. To get the most out of it be sure to continue volunteering as well as shadowing. Don't go into it thinking you can be finished in a year, though, especially if it's research based. Your timeline is dependent on the research. Schools will typically admit you on the condition that you finish your current degree before matriculating.

The coursework is also nothing like medical school (unless it is a SMP or you're taking courses with medical students). I took grad level biochem/molecular biology/cell biology courses, and they were way more in depth while covering a lesser breadth of material compared to similar courses in med school.

Overall having a research based master's degree served as a very good EC, and if you don't mind taking 2 years it is a very rewarding experience.

This is a question for the pre-allopathic forum.
This. Allo is a forum for medical students, not for pre-meds to ask questions to medical students. Med students frequently post in pre-allo and I'm sure you'll get some responses there too. So I'm going to move this thread.

Yeah, agreed. SMP's are helpful, everything else is a waste of time.
I totally disagree. Only some SMPs are even marginally helpful (EVMS, Georgetown, and Tulane's phys program come to mind), but all of them are potetnial death knells to your candidacy. If your performance is anything less than excellent, you're basically done. On the other hand, a regular master's degree is useful for things other than getting into med school (which a SMP really couldn't be more worthless for) and can also bolster your credentials significantly.

Reactions: 1 user
I totally disagree. Only some SMPs are even marginally helpful (EVMS, Georgetown, and Tulane's phys program come to mind), but all of them are potetnial death knells to your candidacy. If your performance is anything less than excellent, you're basically done. On the other hand, a regular master's degree is useful for things other than getting into med school (which a SMP really couldn't be more worthless for) and can also bolster your credentials significantly.

This.

a response so nice it needs to be quoted twice

I think LizzyM and Catalysk said more than one occasions that a master degree is a nice EC. I personally wouldn't shell out that much money just for a nice EC.

If you are certain that you are going to complete the first year of medical school with an extraordinary gpa (3.9 or higher), take a chance and do the SMP. However, be aware that doing poorly is a death knell for your candidacy, it is very expensive and it has no value in the marketplace. (Employers aren't lining up to hire people with graduate level classes in anatomy, physiology and histology.)

If you are doing something to expand your skillset (skills that will be useful in your medical career) and make you more marketable in the event that you end up in something other than medicine.

For research, I think that biostatistics, epidemiology or biomedical engineering (depending on your undergrad preparation) are useful fields that are useful in medicine and marketable outside of medicine, too.

How does one differentiate useful vs useless SMPs? What might be useless about them?

Hmmm? So doers that mean that my dual program in biology and healthcare administration is useless?

Hmmm? So doers that mean that my dual program in biology and healthcare administration is useless?

A degree in healthcare administration is marketable even if you don't have an MD and for a physician some knowledge, skills and ability in administration is not a bad thing either. The challenge is keeping those skills sharp while you spend 7 years in settings where you don't have much chance to use those skills (unless you find yourself a volunteer gig helping with a free clinic on the administrative side although if you are in med school you may be itching to develop your skills on the clinical side instead).

I'm getting an MS in Physiology (SMP) right now, and I'd recommend it to anyone. Not only am I getting a first-year medical school education, but the fact that I'm doing extremely well in it (you're graded against the med students) gives me a ridiculous amount of confidence for next year. It's expensive though, so don't do one if you plan on going into primary care haha

How does one differentiate useful vs useless SMPs? What might be useless about them?

The only thing a SMP proves is that you can, or cannot, handle the material in the first year of medical school. If you can handle it, odds are good that you will get into medical school and become a physician. So, in that regard it is useful. If you can't handle the first year med school classes all you have at the end of the program is proof that you can't cut it in medical school, a big tuition bill, and no skill for which an employer hire you. Learn to say, "Do you want fries with that?"

Thanks for the replies! My main intention is to improve my gpa which is 3.5 cum and 3.3 sci right now. I took the MCAT and got a mid 20 score last summer. Obviously that will be a retake early summer 2012. I am debating an instate physiology program, which has some classes medical students take. I am hoping to do well to improve my candidacy for my instate school with which the physio program is affiliated.

Thanks for the replies! My main intention is to improve my gpa which is 3.5 cum and 3.3 sci right now. I took the MCAT and got a mid 20 score last summer. Obviously that will be a retake early summer 2012. I am debating an instate physiology program, which has some classes medical students take. I am hoping to do well to improve my candidacy for my instate school with which the physio program is affiliated.
A master's degree won't help your GPA. The GPA from a master's will be considered your graduate GPA which isn't combined with your undergraduate GPA. Do a postbacc if you want to improve your GPA