Me? Start a gun thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cchoukal

Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm not a prepper or anything, but I was watching this Netflix movie last night, "How it Ends." Basically, something happens, people flee the cities, and otherwise normal, functional people are left to navigate the post-apocalyptic hell-scape that is rural America after whatever the event was. Social norms devolve quickly when everyone's competing for the same scarce gas, water, food, and the people that have those resources also seem to have a lot of guns. Was it a great movie? Eh... Not so much, but as the credits rolled, my immediate instinct was: I need to get a gun. There just doesn't seem to be any way to successfully navigate such an environment without it.

So, my dear SDN compatriots, what is the best gun for this purpose? I'm thinking handgun that's easy to use for me and a very small woman, holds a lot of bullets, and doesn't mind being stored out of access for long periods of time without maintenance.

Shoot! I mean, Go!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell if the OP is working on satire or not...

Is she really asking what gun she should buy today in case she ends of in a rural area after a fictionalized apocalyptic catastrophe tomorrow?

HH

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Is she really asking what gun she should buy today in case she ends of in a rural area after a fictionalized apocalyptic catastrophe tomorrow?

HH

Definitely serious, and male, but my wife needs to be able to shoot the gun as well, in case I’m driving at high speeds and she needs to shoot the tires of the bandits chasing us for our food.

Reactions: 2 users
In all seriousness, assuming your state still allows people to own guns :), I would go to a range that has rentals, shoot some, see what you and she like. Most places offer familiarization classes that are informal and fun, sometimes combined with concealed carry classes that spend some time talking about relevant laws.

For a small person I would suggest looking at a compact semi-auto 9mm with a single stack magazine. My wife is 5'0" and likes her Sig P239. But there's no substitute for just trying different guns. The smallest gun I own is a Ruger LCP .380 ... she hates firing that one, even though it fits her hand well. It's so light that the felt recoil is unpleasant.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely serious, and male, but my wife needs to be able to shoot the gun as well, in case I’m driving at high speeds and she needs to shoot the tires of the bandits chasing us for our food.

;)o_O

In all seriousness, assuming your state still allows people to own guns :), I would go to a range that has rentals, shoot some, see what you and she like. Most places offer familiarization classes that are informal and fun, sometimes combined with concealed carry classes that spend some time talking about relevant laws.

For a small person I would suggest looking at a compact semi-auto 9mm with a single stack magazine. My wife is 5'0" and likes her Sig P239. But there's no substitute for just trying different guns. The smallest gun I own is a Ruger LCP .380 ... she hates firing that one, even though it fits her hand well. It's so light that the felt recoil is unpleasant.
Why are you posting this question in an anesthesiology forum? Isn’t there some NRA forum online that would be more helpful?

This form has an LONG history of threads on topics not necessarily related to Anesthesiology. Long time users have shown themselves to have excellent advice on a range of topics from bourbon to investing to guns.

Reactions: 2 users
Unknown.jpeg

My wife is on the smaller side and she likes a Glock 19. I like it as well. Very little recoil, easy to clean and maintain.

The best gun for self defense after the collapse of society would be an AR-15 223, keep alot of cheap ammo on hand and hope you never need it. Also consider a smaller pump action 20 gauge shotgun. The semi auto handgun is going to require more practice to be effective.

Ruger 10/22. Tons of cool mods (even a gatlin gun one), cheap and portable ammo, no learning curve to using.

Agree with @CommonMan . An AR-15 in .223 is the best bet for the scenario you describe. It's also gonna be easier to fire and control than a handgun. A pump action shotgun (the universal sound of justice) is also a good idea and can be had for very cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with @CommonMan . An AR-15 in .223 is the best bet for the scenario you describe. It's also gonna be easier to fire and control than a handgun. A pump action shotgun (the universal sound of justice) is also a good idea and can be had for very cheap.
The shotgun sounds ideal on all fronts except the need for frequent reloads. Could be a deal-breaker.

I would agree that in a free state, if cost is not an issue, a suppressed short barrel AR15 is the ideal choice for lots of reasons. But there are a number of states that restrict semi-auto rifles in one way or another.

I've never been a big fan of shotguns. Contrary to the movies, they still have to be aimed. Recoil can be significant. Magazine capacity is low. People have a tendency to short stroke pump action shotguns under stress.

Compared to a rifle or shotgun, it's also a lot easier to find a range where you can learn to shoot a handgun, and maintain proficiency. For new gun owners, I think handguns are usually the better choice.

There's a lot of situational and environmental variables, but if I'm interpreting your scenario correctly, you want something:

1) reliable and not needing frequent lubrication or cleaning
2) high capacity
3) easy to carry and transport, but not necessarily concealable
4) relatively low recoil
5) in a setting of post-apocalyptic and scarce resources

In no particular order I recommend a 9mm pistol as this round will able to be high capacity, plentiful, cheap with adequate stopping power for self defense:

Glock 19
Beretta 92 FS series
Sig 320 (which is the gun used in the movie you mentioned above)

There are magazines for the above that can allow for up to 20 rounds, all work well with minimal tuning. They're all tried and true with military and LE to back them up. The beretta is the only one with a manual safety if that's a perk you're looking for.

Also, if you're able to carry something larger, obviously a .223 AR platform, or even a 9mm AR platform short barrel would be superior, but I'm not sure what you're looking for in transport ease in post-apocalyptic times.

Hope this helps!

The problem with handguns in the scenario presented by the OP, is that it's very hard to actually hit anything with one until the threat is basically on top of you. Look at all the police shootouts where they are literally just feet apart and very few rounds find their mark - and this is with a cop behind the trigger who shoots more than the average Joe. Not exactly what I want to be reliant upon in a post-apocalyptic Mad Max world.

Magazine capacity is low. People have a tendency to short stroke pump action shotguns under stress.

Benelli M1 solves the short stroke problem.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need more than 7 rounds you're dead anyways.

Been in the market, and I've rented a few, a a beginner, I'm a fan of the polymer striker-fire handguns. So, the Glock 17/19, SIG 320 where nice.

That's not what I would rely upon either in a Mad Max world, but the OP is looking for that set of circumstances, so it was my best advice.

Personally, my SHTF setup is AR platform 10 inch barrel .556, my wife with an AR platform 9mm short barrel (33 rnd glock mag clips), Beretta 92G for me, Glock 19 for wife (which can share her rifle clips).

Salty brings up a good point in Mad Max world. Today's firefights happen very close usually within 5 feet (muggings, self defense) but in an apocalyptic scenario your circle would be very tight and threats would likely come from much farther than 5 feet and engage you quickly with intent on your resources. Being accurate from longer distances would matter more IMO. This is all of course if you're comfortable carrying a rifle everywhere you go :)

The best gun for self defense after the collapse of society would be an AR-15 223, keep alot of cheap ammo on hand and hope you never need it. Also consider a smaller pump action 20 gauge shotgun. The semi auto handgun is going to require more practice to be effective.
Yeah you need a good spread!

Buy a glock 19 and an AR 15. Then spend money training. Shooting is not something you're going to learn to be "good," at in the combative sense practicing in your back yard. you can maintain skill that way, but this isnt something that just owning the kit solves.

HH

With all the crazy stuff I hear in the news which isn’t near apocalyptic but still, I’m not mad at someone inquiring about protection. Im not a gun owner but the thought of protecting my family has crossed my mind and it realll shyte ever did hit the fan, the most armed probably will succeed. Im just holding off on gun ownership for now and I’ve explained that reason on other gun threads

Yeah you need a good spread!
Post-apocalypse you would be able to saw a shotgun down nice and short to make it easier to carry and get that good spread you need. You’d need another intact shotgun for hunting though.

So you need 2 shotguns, at least one pistol, an AR-15, and maybe a .30-06. This is starting to look expensive.

Post-apocalypse you would be able to saw a shotgun down nice and short to make it easier to carry and get that good spread you need. You’d need another intact shotgun for hunting though.

So you need 2 shotguns, at least one pistol, an AR-15, and maybe a .30-06. This is starting to look expensive.

Damn, you sound like Kevin Garnett ...lol

Don't bother. In a post-apocalyptic world, you aren't even going to make it to real rural America. Even if you do, a gun isn't going to save your a**. Unless you have already spent years living off the grid, and know what it takes to live a subsistence lifestyle, and have somehow maintained a location that is actively ready for this scenario, you're going to die.

Hell, I lived off the grid for many years, and my wife grew up 2 days boat ride from the closest neighbor and highway. No electricity, no running water, no outside support. Unless we could kill it or grow it, we pretty much didn't have anything to eat. We know what it takes to live in a post apocalyptic world because we lived that way for many years. Even with that depth of experience, we agree that we would almost certainly not survive a true societal collapse now. Unless you are actively living a true subsistence lifestyle when the apocalypse comes you are going to die. Even then, you are probably going to die.

So, like my wife and I did, ignore that B.S. Live and enjoy life now. Get a gun because they are fun to shoot, and good for self defense, but screw prepping it's stupid, and 99% of the preppers I run into don't even have a f'n clue what it really takes to live outside the system. Seriously, just accept that you are going to die if this happens, and enjoy life now. Don't waste it worrying about something that is almost certainly not going to happen, and about which you can't really do anything anyway. 6-months supply of food HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH

Don't bother. In a post-apocalyptic world, you aren't even going to make it to real rural America. Even if you do, a gun isn't going to save your a**. Unless you have already spent years living off the grid, and know what it takes to live a subsistence lifestyle, and have somehow maintained a location that is actively ready for this scenario, you're going to die.

Hell, I lived off the grid for many years, and my wife grew up 2 days boat ride from the closest neighbor and highway. No electricity, no running water, no outside support. Unless we could kill it or grow it, we pretty much didn't have anything to eat. We know what it takes to live in a post apocalyptic world because we lived that way for many years. Even with that depth of experience, we agree that we would almost certainly not survive a true societal collapse now. Unless you are actively living a true subsistence lifestyle when the apocalypse comes you are going to die. Even then, you are probably going to die.

So, like my wife and I did, ignore that B.S. Live and enjoy life now. Get a gun because they are fun to shoot, and good for self defense, but screw prepping it's stupid, and 99% of the preppers I run into don't even have a f'n clue what it really takes to live outside the system. Seriously, just accept that you are going to die if this happens, and enjoy life now. Don't waste it worrying about something that is almost certainly not going to happen, and about which you can't really do anything anyway. 6-months supply of food HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH
Well, societal collapse comes in many forms, short and long term. In the last 100 years we've had a couple world wars, regional economic collapses, civil wars, tsunamis and hurricanes, crime sprees, revolutions, and more. No one's seriously planning for the zombies of course, it's just a joke. The doomsday prepper clowns on TV are just clowns. But there's something to be said for having a modest level of resilience to get through events that have actually happened in living memory.

The alternative to doing something is to do nothing and just wing it ... and then you may find yourself joining the mob at the Superdome.

160217141215-new-orleans-superdome-exlarge-169.jpg

That true except it’s probably even worse than that. Even if you can live ‘off the grid’ you don’t REALLY live off the grid. There’s probably almost nothing you have that you made from scratch. Even if you can feed yourself someone is likely to come along and kill you in the night and take your stuff.

Nobody is commenting on the video, so I will.

It was comic genius. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I agree with the idea of getting a gun just for shooting fun, not for zombies or apocalypse scenarios. Also, it’s important to use your second amendment rights.

Glocks are low maintenance, less expensive than some, good magazine capacity, and always go bang when you pull the trigger. Revolvers always go bang also, but capacity is low.

My favorite shooter is a 9 round Springfield 9mm Range Officer Elite. Fits my hand like a glove, my neighbor lady (my shooting buddy), doesn’t like the way it fits her hand though, so go to the range and try some different weapons with an expert guiding you.

I have a 13 round 45cal Glock (Glock 41), but there is some extra recoil in return for the added power of 45cal.

9mm is a good choice. Less recoil, but sufficient stopping power. Get cheap practice ammo, but keep a magazine filled with high quality hollow points for when a bad man needs dealing with. Hopefully never, but...

Shooting is a perishable skill, so be serious about practicing with whatever you buy.

Also, then I’ll yield the floor, shotguns have, maybe, a spread of only 4”, at common self-defense distances, with anything bigger than birdshot. A quick few minutes on YouTube will show you that.

Welcome to the shooting world. Thanks for listening.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be prepared for short-term emergencies/ natural disasters, and a gun might be a small component of that plan, but the gun being the answer to apocalyptic fear is laughable. In a true societal collapse, I suspect that >90% of Americans would die, including myself. Starvation, disease, and murder would be rampant. I don't spend time worrying about it anymore, because I wasted too many years of my youth preparing to survive the apocalypse that never came. Worrying about it is akin to worrying about dying in a plane crash, while blissfully driving to work every day. It's ignorant of the real risk.

Prepare for short term emergencies like hurricanes, earthquakes, power outages, etc, but a real apocalypse isn't going to be a survivable event for most of us, no matter our preparations.

Where my wife grew up, they made everything they used. Their houses were built from whatever local materials were available (hand hewn logs, moss, etc). The only thing they got from the outside world were unnecessary treats like sugar. If the system collapsed while they were out there, they wouldn't even know it happened for months, and then it wouldn't effect their life for years. She knows exactly what it takes to live in that kind of world, and the reality that the knowledge alone is insufficient to survive.

I’ve been in a pure state of depression without my laptop for two weeks. So I’ll just call it a life when it hits the fan

Roughly here.

Twoish Days boat ride up the Stewart River then the MacMillan from Pelly Crossing, YT.

She grew up on a trapline with the closest neighbors being about two days travel away.

Must be a badass chick for sure.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the best option in the event in the of a zombie apocalypse/societal meltdown is a sailboat. Peace out and park yourself amidst some remote atolls in the South Pacific eating reef fish and lounging in your hammock while everyone else devolves and shoots each other over the last remaining box of twinkies.

Plus, everyone knows Zombies can’t swim.

fwiw....My hubby has a glock 9mm in his nightstand, I have the smaller version (still 9mm, and a glock, it just is a little smaller) in my nightstand. There is a 22 with a tripod in the closet, and I have a 20 gauge pump shotgun under my side of the bed. the barrel on it is 1/4" longer than legal. It holds 4 shells. currently, loaded with buck shot, slug, buck shot, slug...in that order. I don't have to really aim it, I can shoot it from the hip. have had lots of practice. (and while I am not dainty and petite, I am only 5'3"...) I love my shotgun! We live out in the middle of nowhere, so it is nice to be able to take care of what may be crawling around.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the best option in the event in the of a zombie apocalypse/societal meltdown is a sailboat. Peace out and park yourself amidst some remote atolls in the South Pacific eating reef fish and lounging in your hammock while everyone else devolves and shoots each other over the last remaining box of twinkies.

You don't have to wait for the zombies to be a sailboat beach bum. :)

CB2BFCE5-7253-4704-A608-7F764577A5FB.jpeg
Must be a badass chick for sure.

Careful Salty

You don't have to wait for the zombies to be a sailboat beach bum. :)

The funny thing is, it’s my 3 little zombies at home that keep me from being a sailboat beach bum now.