Mean MCAT and Mean GPAs for all DO Schools (scraped from ChooseDO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As discussed in a previous thread (Osteopathic Applicant Rating System?), I have been working on scraping the mean GPA and mean MCAT for all DO schools from ChooseDO's Explorer Tool (Choose DO Explorer Registration - Choose DO).

I have completed the code to scrape the data, and you can find the mean values I found at the Google sheet linked at the end of this post. The sheet is read-only, so you should make your own copy if you want to edit things. If you disseminate the sheet, please do leave the link to this thread intact so that the most recent version is easily accessible from a single location.

Some caveats to keep in mind:

1) I calculated the values with certain tolerances as otherwise the search would take too long (I could get it smaller, and may do so in the future, but this is just a proof of concept).
2) The mean GPA is within a range of 0.005 (that is, the real value is within 0.005 of the value in the sheet).
3) The mean MCAT is within a range of 0.1 (that is, the real value is within 0.1 of the value in the sheet).
4) The data in the sheet is up-to-date as of April 28, 2020. If you're reading this in the future and want me to update it again, PM me (though whether the data is different from year to year depends on ChooseDO).
5) These are only MEANS. DO schools are known for accepting a wide range of GPA and MCAT scores. ChooseDO does not allow me to scrape the standard deviation of these values, or I'd have also provided a rough 10th and 90th percentile.
6) This has no data for recently-opened schools or schools that aren't on ChooseDO. Please let me know if a school of interest is missing and I'll check to confirm that both of these are the case.
7) There are other subsheets (accessible through the tabs at the bottom of the linked sheet) that have the schools sorted by GPA and MCAT, respectively.

Enjoy. I sincerely hope this information helps in determining what DO schools you might like to apply to and that it hopefully fills a gap that has been missing in most DO data out there.

I plan to continue working on information for DO applications in the future, but let me know if there's anything specific you want to see!

If you have any questions or would like any information from me, feel free to post here or PM me.

Best,
Seihai

Sheet link:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_xNtmrSLYsHidZCOhOt7-9DDV9F6Qcfynbnx2T9t-ok/edit?usp=sharing

Sheet (for some reason, SDN auto-embeds it, so use the link above to navigate to it directly for better viewing):

EDIT History
28 July 2019: Made ranges narrower after figuring out how to make searching/filtering more efficient. Tolerances narrowed from 0.01 and 0.5 to 0.005 and 0.1 for GPA and MCAT, respectively. Sheet link remains the same. Also added sheets where schools are sorted by GPA and MCAT.

23 December 2019: Updated (but the data itself didn't change) the numbers by rescraping ChooseDO after getting around their login barrier.

20 January 2020: Forgot to add the edit for 23 December 2019 above, so did so on this day. No other material changes to the post.

28 April 2020: Updated all of the data from ChooseDO.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 39 users
Thank you!! This is helpful.
Hi all,

As discussed in a previous thread (Osteopathic Applicant Rating System?), I have been working on scraping the mean GPA and mean MCAT for all DO schools from ChooseDO's Explorer Tool (Choose DO Explorer Registration - Choose DO).

I have completed the code to scrape the data, and you can find the mean values I found at the Google sheet linked at the end of this post. The sheet is read-only, so if you want to sort by the GPA or MCAT, you should make your own copy so that you can sort appropriately. If you disseminate the sheet, please do leave the link to this thread intact so that the most recent version is easily accessible from a single location.

1) I calculated the values with certain tolerances as otherwise the search would take too long (I could get it smaller, and may do so in the future, but this is just a proof of concept).
2) The mean GPA is within a range of 0.01 (that is, the real value is within 0.01 of the value in the sheet).
3) The mean MCAT is within a range of 0.5 (that is, the real value is within 0.5 of the value in the sheet).
4) The data in the sheet is up-to-date as of July 28th, 2019. If you're reading this in the future and want me to update it again, PM me (though whether the data is different from year to year depends on ChooseDO).
5) These are only MEANS. DO schools are known for accepting a wide range of GPA and MCAT scores. ChooseDO does not allow me to scrape the standard deviation of these values, or I'd have also provided a rough 10th and 90th percentile.

Enjoy. I sincerely hope this information helps in determining what DO schools you might like to apply to and that it hopefully fills a gap that has been missing in most DO data out there.

I plan to continue working on information for DO applications in the future, but let me know if there's anything specific you want to see!

If you have any questions or would like any information from me, feel free to post here or PM me.

Best,
Seihai

Sheet link:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_xNtmrSLYsHidZCOhOt7-9DDV9F6Qcfynbnx2T9t-ok/edit?usp=sharing

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Found a way to make my code more efficient and make searching quicker - tolerances have been narrowed from 0.01 to 0.005 for GPA and from 0.5 to 0.1 for MCAT. The link remains the same.

Reactions: 1 users
This is great material! Thank you so much for doing this. :biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
I think this goes to show that DO schools are continuously getting more competitive, and their medians are ever increasing. For example, MWU’s median MCAT and most school’s median GPA.

Reactions: 5 users
Is the cGPA or sGPA?

From my understanding, ChooseDO provides data to filter for cGPA, but not for sGPA.

This data is all cGPA. sGPA is probably going to be a bit lower/different than these values, but I unfortunately can't get access to them.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

I have completed the code to scrape the data, and you can find the mean values I found at the Google sheet linked at the end of this post. The sheet is read-only, so you should make your own copy if you want to edit things. If you disseminate the sheet, please do leave the link to this thread intact so that the most recent version is easily accessible from a single location.

2) The mean GPA is within a range of 0.005 (that is, the real value is within 0.005 of the value in the sheet).
3) The mean MCAT is within a range of 0.1 (that is, the real value is within 0.1 of the value in the sheet).
4) The data in the sheet is up-to-date as of July 28th, 2019. If you're reading this in the future and want me to update it again, PM me (though whether the data is different from year to year depends on ChooseDO).
6) This has no data for recently-opened schools or schools that aren't on ChooseDO. Please let me know if a school of interest is missing and I'll check to confirm that both of these are the case.
7) There are other subsheets (accessible through the tabs at the bottom of the linked sheet) that have the schools sorted by GPA and MCAT, respectively.

Best,
Seihai

Sheet link:
Code:

Sheet (for some reason, SDN auto-embeds it, so use the link above to navigate to it directly for better viewing):

EDIT History
28 July 2019: Made ranges narrower after figuring out how to make searching/filtering more efficient. Tolerances narrowed from 0.01 and 0.5 to 0.005 and 0.1 for GPA and MCAT, respectively. Sheet link remains the same. Also added sheets where schools are sorted by GPA and MCAT.

Good data mining work. If Med School does not work out, apply to a top 10 or 20 MBA program!

I don't know about VCOM-Auburn, but I know ARCOM average MCAT is over 500 now, 499 was the average for the inaugural class. Although, I'm very surprised ICOM is averaging 503 for their inaugural class. This goes to show that the applicant pool is still fairly competitive despite all those new schools opening.

I don't know about VCOM-Auburn, but I know ARCOM average MCAT is over 500 now, 499 was the average for the inaugural class. Although, I'm very surprised ICOM is averaging 503 for their inaugural class. This goes to show that the applicant pool is still fairly competitive despite all those new schools opening.

If this is true, ChooseDO may either be out of date or using the data of all currently enrolled medical students at the school. Not sure which is true (though, admittedly, I haven't spent much time looking at the website to see if they make it clear how the filters work).

EDIT: Took a closer look, the data isn't transparent and there's no info on how they collect the data - just that AACOMAS runs the website (and presumably has access to all the raw data). I'd probably trust the data, but it could easily be skewed by outliers since no 10th-90th percentiles are reported.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
KCU just updated their stats on their website for the KC and Joplin campus class of 2023.

KC: 507/3.63/3.58
Joplin: 506/3.62/3.55

Hi all,

Best,
Seihai

Sheet link:
Code:

EDIT History

This is a truly helpful resource and very strong work compiling it. Would have loved access to this when I was applying.

This is a truly helpful resource and very strong work compiling it. Would have loved access to this when I was applying.

Glad to hear that it's a great resource! However, most of the work goes to AACOMAS for making it available (though not necessarily in a clear or obvious way). I'm just the code monkey who wrote a script to take advantage of their method of displaying information, effectively.

Thank you so much for this! I found it when I read your signature in a recent post.

Just going to bump this thread since I've seen some relevant threads on the topic.

Kind of surprised to see that LECOM's stats are semi high. I always thought LECOM was a bottom of the barrel school

Kind of surprised to see that LECOM's stats are semi high. I always thought LECOM was a bottom of the barrel school
LECOM is also the cheapest of all DO schools. People would do anything to have the lowest amount of loans as possible.

Edit: they're also one of the schools that get over 10K applications every year.

Hardly so. They pretty much have some of the highest first time pass rates in the country for boards. They'll get you to perform well its just how they do it that gets a bad rep. The mandatory classes, no food or drink in lecture, professional attire until what like 7pm? as well as how they treat the medical students seems to be the problem. Its my understanding, though I could be wrong, that they have practice testing that you must meet a certain criteria before they even let you sit for the real thing. But don't be mistaken they really do churn out some rock solid scores.

Reactions: 3 users
Hardly so. They pretty much have some of the highest first time pass rates in the country for boards. They'll get you to perform well its just how they do it that gets a bad rep. The mandatory classes, no food or drink in lecture, professional attire until what like 7pm? as well as how they treat the medical students seems to be the problem. Its my understanding, though I could be wrong, that they have practice testing that you must meet a certain criteria before they even let you sit for the real thing. But don't be mistaken they really do churn out some rock solid scores.
All medical schools (MD and DO) have a practice test (CBSE and COMSAE) that you have to pass before you take the real thing.

LECOM is literally known as one of the most standard mid-range DOs schools there is. Average DO scores, average clinical sites, average matching/placement, average age (started between the pre-1980s schools and the 2000s-boom schools), average residency affiliations. You may be mistaking it for LUCOM.

right I was just under the impression they had much stricter guidelines based on what I heard

This is inaccurate. Guidelines are similar or less lax than others that I have seen.

Campbell University (CUSOM) most recent entrance statistics:

MCAT 507, cGPA 3.60, sGPA 3.54

Solid board pass rates too. Proud of my alma mater.

LECOM is literally known as one of the most standard mid-range DOs schools there is. Average DO scores, average clinical sites, average matching/placement, average age (started between the pre-1980s schools and the 2000s-boom schools), average residency affiliations. You may be mistaking it for LUCOM.
I actually think LECOM is one of the best non-state DO schools now. Extensive affiliated residency programs (150+ programs) coupled with consistently high 98% first time board pass rates and a very low tuition ($35k). People gripe about having to set up your own rotations, which, granted is a hassle, but they still keep a 99-100% placement rate year after year.

I'd recommend LECOM over any other non-state school.

I actually think LECOM is one of the best non-state DO schools now. Extensive affiliated residency programs (150+ programs) coupled with consistently high 98% first time board pass rates and a very low tuition ($35k). People gripe about having to set up your own rotations, which, granted is a hassle, but they still keep a 99-100% placement rate year after year.

Not over PCOM-PA, DMU, and KCU though.

Better match list
Better GME
More established

For example this what the ACGME has listed under sponsored programs by PCOM and LECOM. You judge. I don't know where you got the 150+ residency programs though.View attachment 282470View attachment 282472
From here: LECOMT GME Programs - LECOM Education System

Better match list and GME how? What objectively makes being established for 100 years better than 25?
If they are better, is that worth an extra $60k in loans?

I'm not going to argue with you because I went there, but generally speaking with regards to education and outcomes, I would call it average (i.e. similar to the majority of DO schools). That doesn't mean its not desirable to go to for specific reasons (i.e. board pass rates, low tuition, and affiliated residencies), but many of those (except for tuition) are common to many other DO schools.

Also, you don't "set up" your own rotations at LECOM. LECOM-B has been known for this specifically, but the other LECOMs (and even a portion of the students at LECOM-B) rank and are assigned to specific clinical sites for the vast majority of their rotations. One rotation is required to be in Erie, Geriatrics. There are a couple that are required to be in Erie or Elmira, depending on availability at your specific clinical site. Then you have electives and selectives, which you "set up" yourself with either LECOM affiliates (including your own clinical site) or via VSAS just like almost every other DO and MD school in the country.

...For example this what the ACGME has listed under sponsored programs by PCOM and LECOM. You judge. I don't know where you got the 150+ residency programs though.View attachment 282470View attachment 282472

That list only includes residencies specifically at Millcreek Hospital (aka LECOM Health's hospital in Erie). It does not include others that are sponsored directly by LECOM, were created by LECOM, or are affiliated with it (e.g. like those at Arnot Ogden Medical Center, among about a hundred others). There are 69 residency programs in LECOM's OPTI, which also doesn't include all affiliates.

The same goes for PCOM, those are just the residency programs at their main clinical site, but they have 93 programs in their OPTI, and maybe even 100 more affiliates.

For more info about the OPTIs see: OPTI INFO - Not sure if this will continue to be updated post-merger though

That is a pretty comprehensive list of LECOM affiliated residency programs, but I will warn you that it hasn't been updated since the merger, and while there have been some additions, there have also been some programs that have or will close.

PCOM has a LOT of residency affiliates - on the level of MSU COM and OU-HCOM, which are definitely greater than LECOM's. KCUMB and DMU have some residency affiliates, but I'm confident in saying that both are likely less than LECOM's lists.

I've only just noticed the discussion that ensued on this thread. Note that I have no idea how ChooseDO gets their information (it could very well be entirely self-reported to AACOMAS rather than actual statistics). I only wanted to provide the numbers because ChooseDO decides not to give the exact values - I can't verify the accuracy of the numbers themselves - only ChooseDO/AACOMAS can do that.

All medical schools (MD and DO) have a practice test (CBSE and COMSAE) that you have to pass before you take the real thing.
No they do not. KCU gives you a practice COMSAE with no minimum to take COMLEX.
Please don't make blatant statements like that.

Alright. Let's make it less of a blatant statement and say most medical schools. Is that better?

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Bumping this to (hopefully) help people preparing for next cycle.

Also want to note that ChooseDO made the Explorer require registration to access. This isn't actually necessarily a roadblock to being able to scrape the page, but I'll need to update the code to be able to update the numbers. I hope to do this before the opening of the next cycle.

Last edited:
Just updated the sheet with new GPA/MCAT. The log-in/sign-up from ChooseDO was much easier to work around than I thought it would be.

Nothing changed, from what I can tell, in terms of the stats. I'll check again in April/May (or earlier if people want me to do so).

I agree. I attended an MD school, we did not have things like that, though they recommended to everyone take NBME practice exams and sit for the board once score is >=210 for step1.

Just updated the sheets for the incoming cycle - should be up to date as of April 28, 2020. It looks like the numbers remained mostly the same.

This should be pinned on 1st page.

Going to bump this since I've been seeing a lot of questions on school lists based on stats.

Going to bump this since I've been seeing a lot of questions on school lists based on stats.
California Health Sciences University CHSU, released its stats to incoming students. Average MCAT is a 507 and GPA is 3.5

California Health Sciences University CHSU, released its stats to incoming students. Average MCAT is a 507 and GPA is 3.5
Oh my, that’s pretty high up like Touro-CA level. Guess there’s never a shortage of qualified applicants in CA

Bumping this in case anyone needs it for their school lists.