Mechanical Engineer to Pre-Med. Summer Plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunday.Feb.19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have finally pulled the trigger and decided to go for medical school. I am a mechanical engineering student in my junior year. The next step for me right now is figuring out how to spend this upcoming summer. I am definitely going to try and start volunteering at a hospital but I also may be able to land an internship at an engineering company. I have already had a couple of interviews but have not heard back from either of them yet so there is no guarantee of anything. However, I feel like it would be a great experience for myself to have that sort of "real working world" experience.

How would this sort of internship look to medical schools? Would they like to see this sort of experience? Would they rather that I spend my entire summer volunteering?

I know it may sound like I am not entirely committed to becoming a doctor but I am. I love engineering but I know that I won't be happy working as one.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

People work to make money, and we kinda need it to survive. No one is going to knock you for getting paid. If it's an unpaid internship, then that's different -- otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much so long as your get some shadowing/volunteer work in on evenings or weekends. That's my two-cents.

Definitely volunteer and shadow as much as you're able to for the experience -- understanding what you're signing up for is really important in medical school. Similar to your sentiment that you know you won't be happy as an engineer, what makes you so certain that you want to be a physician? After garnering the shadowing and volunteer work you'll be able to answer that question more honestly and sincerely.

Having a mechanical engineering background puts you in a unique position to work with biomechanics, maybe steering an internship in that direction (or seeking those out) would be more rewarding for you? Just a thought.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user