Med-MAR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlatinumPenny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey and Happy New Year everyone!!

Just our to curiousity, for those who have registered for the MCAT did you also sign-up for MedMar? I was reading about this on the AAMC website and was wondering what has been your experiences with this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just our to curiousity, for those who have registered for the MCAT did you also sign-up for MedMar? I was reading about this on the AAMC website and was wondering what has been your experiences with this? Thanks!

I did. The registry allows schools to view your scores and contact you to encourage you to apply if they like them. I personally received these "recruitment" emails from a few schools and added one as a result.

I didn't register for this service. I had specific schools that I was interested in and I had no interest in applying outside those schools. In short, I did my research up front and pretty much knew that I would attend any of the schools that I appled to. After interviews, I had my rankings but in the end, I was very happy with my choice and when it came down to accepting my acceptances, I had my first choice based on the factors that were important to me.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is very different from PSAT/National Merit recruitment in high school--it seems that schools do not make very much use of this registry. I signed up and got one recruitment letter from an actual med school. Granted, it was from Harvard, but still--didn't really sway me either way. Most of the stuff I got was from the military, podiatry schools, and PhD programs. But there's no harm in signing up.

I highly recommend that you register for the med mar if you're eligible for it! My registration has given me great benefits so far. I wasn't going to apply to Columbia, but they sent an email encouraging me to apply and sure enough, a few weeks later, I received an interview invite from them (and LOVED the school, my top-choice!) Moreover, I applied to their school somewhat late, in October. Northwestern also contacted me (I initially didn't apply to them) and encouraged me to apply by waiving the secondary application fee!!! I have an interview on Jan 9th. Hopefully acceptances at both of these schools!

I highly recommend that you register for the med mar if you're eligible for it! My registration has given me great benefits so far. I wasn't going to apply to Columbia, but they sent an email encouraging me to apply and sure enough, a few weeks later, I received an interview invite from them (and LOVED the school, my top-choice!) Moreover, I applied to their school somewhat late, in October. Northwestern also contacted me (I initially didn't apply to them) and encouraged me to apply by waiving the secondary application fee!!! I have an interview on Jan 9th. Hopefully acceptances at both of these schools!

Did you apply with an AMCAS FAP? We need to make a list of schools that will pay for your secondary if you are URM even if you don't have an FAP. I really think this would benefit future generations. I'm also mad that Northwestern didn't give me a fee waiver :mad: but that's besides the point (unless of course you had an FAP, in which case it's all good).

Same here. Just register, it can only help you.

Did you apply with an AMCAS FAP? We need to make a list of schools that will pay for your secondary if you are URM even if you don't have an FAP. I really think this would benefit future generations. I'm also mad that Northwestern didn't give me a fee waiver :mad: but that's besides the point (unless of course you had an FAP, in which case it's all good).

No, I didn't qualify for the AMCAS FAP, but they waived it regardless (I think they are quite in need of AA minorities, since they only have like 2 in the c/o 2012.) Ditto, I think a thread with secondary application waiver for minorities would be very useful!

it can't hurt to register. (congrats on your interview canedoc) The recruit emails can get annoying but don't assume that because they recruit you you will get an interview invite. They are basing their recruitment solely on your MCAT score (or poss your MCAT and GPA, not so sure) Many people get "recruited," apply and don't get an interview... but if they are waiving the fee why not!

Really? I wish I knew about this :(. Its ok though even though it's too late for me I can still tell my little brother about this. Thanks for the info :thumbup:.

yea, i was pissed about NW because I had already submitted my secondary and then they sent me the fee-waiver thing:mad:! ended up witdrawing after finding out about the 2 black ppl thing and the PBL neway. i wish they coulda re-embursed me or something.:rolleyes:

congrats on ur columbia interview...BEST FOOD award most def!

yea, i was pissed about NW because I had already submitted my secondary and then they sent me the fee-waiver thing:mad:! ended up witdrawing after finding out about the 2 black ppl thing and the PBL neway. i wish they coulda re-embursed me or something.:rolleyes:

congrats on ur columbia interview...BEST FOOD award most def!

"the 2 black people thing"??? I'm still waiting on Northwestern and I've never heard of it. What is that? :confused:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"the 2 black people thing"??? I'm still waiting on Northwestern and I've never heard of it. What is that? :confused:

Last year only two black people matriculated into Northwestern.

Ok, thanks. But why is that "a thing" a lot entering medical school have at Non-HBCUs have less than 3 black people.

Ok, thanks. But why is that "a thing" a lot entering medical school have at Non-HBCUs have less than 3 black people.

i could never go to a med school that only had two black ppl. but that is just me.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah, but most of the top 20s (aka Northwestern's peer institutions) do a bit better than that. I really think that is a fluke though, they have a really friendly diversity office with a pretty prominent role at the school, so it's definitely something they care about.

i could never go to a med school that only had two black ppl. but that is just me.
I don't think you can really know until you matriculate, right? I guess you can guesstimate by second look but you won't know for sure until orientation.

The number of blacks or minorities could never factor into my decision to attend a Medical school. Being in the best possible environment which will allow me to become a great physician is my first and foremost priority. Hec, I would go to boondocs wyoming and attend class with a bunch of KKK members if thats what it took. But hey I get where you're coming from.

The number of blacks or minorities could never factor into my decision to attend a Medical school. Being in the best possible environment which will allow me to become a great physician is my first and foremost priority. Hec, I would go to boondocs wyoming and attend class with a bunch of KKK members if thats what it took. But hey I get where you're coming from.
tru story....fortunately for me i got options...but if i had 2 do it, id do wat it takes...im the last person youd hear b'itching about needing "help" and "support"...but hey, if i have options that on the surface appear more attractive, id take those...its not like i think the adcomms at NW are Nazis or nething, but, i dunna, i think for a school like NW, the fact that only 2 blk ppl chose 2 matriculate says a lot about the school and perhaps the environment for us...lol...there is maybe only 1 school for me where this would not be a consideration....otherwise, i wanna see ppl that look me, who know that a du-rag isnt a fashion statement, dont ask why i put lotion on everyday or ask why i use a horse brush 2 groom my hair...lol

tru story....fortunately for me i got options...but if i had 2 do it, id do wat it takes...im the last person youd hear b'itching about needing "help" and "support"...but hey, if i have options that on the surface appear more attractive, id take those...its not like i think the adcomms at NW are Nazis or nething, but, i dunna, i think for a school like NW, the fact that only 2 blk ppl chose 2 matriculate says a lot about the school and perhaps the environment for us...lol...there is maybe only 1 school for me where this would not be a consideration....otherwise, i wanna see ppl that look me, who know that a du-rag isnt a fashion statement, dont ask why i put lotion on everyday or ask why i use a horse brush 2 groom my hair...lol

I don't think you know what you're talking about. You can't really imply or assume anything about a school's environment with regard to blacks if you haven't interviewed at said school. I can't fault you for wanting to be with people who look like you; that's a legitimate concern. Just don't hate on schools who are probably making earnest efforts to improve diversity, but sometimes come up short.

Ok man, to each his own. But hey, I hope NW reads this and calls me for an interview :laugh:.

It really doesnt say much. Plus, you need to look for trends in recent years of #s matriculated, not one individual year. They also are notoriously stingy with financial aid, so that plays a role.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. You can't really imply or assume anything about a school's environment with regard to blacks if you haven't interviewed at said school. I can't fault you for wanting to be with people who look like you; that's a legitimate concern. Just don't hate on schools who are probably making earnest efforts to improve diversity, but sometimes come up short.

ah, RMBX, uve come out of hiding. welcome back. not surprising that your only post is to negate what i said :laugh: not much has changed. hows harvard?

Ok man, to each his own. But hey, I hope NW reads this and calls me for an interview :laugh:.

yep. i hope so too. and then i hope your classmates are all in the KKK like u asked. haha jus playin, NW str8 and i was really excited 2 have recieved an interview. but, you can only go to so many interviews, and i was already happy with an acceptance 2 a chicago school. hope u get that invite tho :thumbup:

It really doesnt say much. Plus, you need to look for trends in recent years of #s matriculated, not one individual year. They also are notoriously stingy with financial aid, so that plays a role.

blah blah blah, lets be honest. none of us ACTUALLY knows why or what led to only two blks matriculating. we can all only speculate, and I would take anything the adcomm says to you with a grain of salt. but, hey, that is just me. i have everyright to pick any reason to not want to go to a school. hell, if i didnt wanna go to northwestern because they have no badminton team so be it. lol. but like i said above, sometimes you have to find any unattractive reason to not attend an interview. the potential of having only one other blk person in my class did not seem too attractive to me and was good enuff reason to icsnay on the orthwesternay. but as mddude said, to each his own. :thumbup:

ah, RMBX, uve come out of hiding. welcome back. not surprising that your only post is to negate what i said :laugh: not much has changed. hows harvard?

yep. i hope so too. and then i hope your classmates are all in the KKK like u asked. haha jus playin, NW str8 and i was really excited 2 have recieved an interview. but, you can only go to so many interviews, and i was already happy with an acceptance 2 a chicago school. hope u get that invite tho :thumbup:

blah blah blah, lets be honest. none of us ACTUALLY knows why or what led to only two blks matriculating. we can all only speculate, and I would take anything the adcomm says to you with a grain of salt. but, hey, that is just me. i have everyright to pick any reason to not want to go to a school. hell, if i didnt wanna go to northwestern because they have no badminton team so be it. lol. but like i said above, sometimes you have to find any unattractive reason to not attend an interview. the potential of having only one other blk person in my class did not seem too attractive to me and was good enuff reason to icsnay on the orthwesternay. but as mddude said, to each his own. :thumbup:

The adcoms never mentioned it. You're right, you can evaluate schools any way you want to, and honestly I couldn't care any less why you chose to attend one interview over another, but to assume that this one instance is somehow telling of the environment for future minority students is a stretch. Anyways man, just keep doing you.

QFT. If there are other schools out there willing to give diversity aid and if you don't have it or something else amazing to compensate, then you can't compete.

I was never hiding kid. Rather, I don't come around/comment on these parts too often. I don't know what you mean about my "only post" was to "negate" what you said because I could honestly careless what you have to say when you say something devoid of thought. I just don't want complete ignorance about a fairly common phenomenon at a lot of medical schools being propagated in this sub-forum. You're right; my desire to correct misinformation hasn't changed at all.

I don't really know you outside of your SDN identity and I don't think you are a bad cat (you might be pretty tight in person), but I do know you aren't anonymous anymore (...at all) and it's a pretty small minority medical community. Take that for what you will.

Harvard is pretty cool. I definitely think I made the right choice for me. How's interviewing coming along?

I was never hiding kid. Rather, I don't come around/comment on these parts too often. I don't know what you mean about my "only post" was to "negate" what you said because I could honestly careless what you have to say when you say something devoid of thought. I just don't want complete ignorance about a fairly common phenomenon at a lot of medical schools being propagated in this sub-forum. You're right; my desire to correct misinformation hasn't changed at all.

I don't really know you outside of your SDN identity and I don't think you are a bad cat (you might be pretty tight in person), but I do know you aren't anonymous anymore (...at all) and it's a pretty small minority medical community. Take that for what you will.

Harvard is pretty cool. I definitely think I made the right choice for me. How's interviewing coming along?

:laugh: I tried to warn you.

lol...i meant that you had not posted in a while and it appears that the only reason you posted was to dispute what I clearly stated as my opinion and not as a fact. it would be just as appropriate for me to say that, as you did to me, that "you dont know what your talking about." because, um, you dont. and, um, neither do i. i nor you nor anbody else is on the adcomm (yes, i know ur nor cuz only 2nd yrs are, right? lol) so we are just speculating. until you go an ask every blk person admitted to NW last yr why they choose not to apply/interview/attend, you can never know exactly why and it may very well be because of the environment. i personally know of many instances in which well qualified minority applicants choose to go to lesser ranked schools because they felt the environment that the higher ranked schools was not as supportive for minorities than the school they choose to attend. along these lines of reasoning, i dont think my statement or opinion about NW is "devoid of thought."

but I do know you aren't anonymous anymore (...at all) and it's a pretty small minority medical community. Take that for what you will.

and haha i f*cked up major and leaked my identity during a post. yes, ive gotten about 10 friend requests on facebook now :eek: that go something like "hey, im "so and so" from SDN" hmmm...what does that last part mean?

i hate myself now. lol thanks 4 rubbing it in. i was warned but i didnt listen. i guess ill find out in March if I really f*cked myself over.

I don't really know you outside of your SDN identity and I don't think you are a bad cat (you might be pretty tight in person),

thanks. right back at you. actually, i was gonna try and meet up with you when i was at harvard but i was still trying to preserve my anonymity. i thought maybe id run into at the atrium or sumthin but glad to hear youre enjoying the place.

lol..i would just like to add that this is in fact an online forum and that for any adcomms out there possibly keeping tabs on me and others you can never know for sure who is behind the screen. i could in fact be someone else trying to sabatoge somebody else's reputation online. i could also just be a random premed fabricating everything i am saying. OR i could be actually applying but embellishing here and there and making up things to make myself look good. so there, based on that, you cant hold nething against who i may or may not be. :eek::laugh:

rmbx, help 2 allay some of my paranoia and tell me if you identified me because of *that* post or by some other means? thanks :)

rmbx, help 2 allay some of my paranoia and tell me if you identified me because of *that* post or by some other means? thanks :)

What did you do? Post the name of your undergrad or something?

Also 19nbj58 freaks me out a little, like (s)he's a lurker who pops out from time to time to remind you that someone is watching...

Also 19nbj58 freaks me out a little, like (s)he's a lurker who pops out from time to time to remind you that someone is watching...

posted a link that idiotically led to my fbook page. ha...revealing my name.

and ur rite, he/she is super freaky w that ish...but rbmx nebulous responses creep me out more..."take that for what you will."...lol wat da heck does that mean...oh lawdy, lawdy, Dearest Adcomms, i pwomise me a good boy! dont hold this stupid website against me, pwetty pweeease? :scared:

^LOL did you really? i honestly doubt that you'd be rejected for some harmless sdn fun lol. & i cant believe ppl facebook friended you afterwards :laugh:

i actually thought it was the post where you were defending your school's SAT scores or something from flaaless and you had a link to the admissions page.

and ur rite, he/she is super freaky w that ish...but rbmx nebulous responses creep me out more..."take that for what you will."...lol wat da heck does that mean...oh lawdy, lawdy, Dearest Adcomms, i pwomise me a good boy! dont hold this stupid website against me, pwetty pweeease? :scared:

Daaaaaaamn....but honestly with a long enough post history and a mention of your undergrad, there are probably several of the thousands of lurkers who can figure out who you are...there are only so many black male applicants.

lol guys im harmless. I just told him a while back that there is the possibility of being discovered since so few black males apply. It was a general warning just in case he decided to post something stupid, thats all.

Yeah, that's funny. One of those black people is one of my closest friends from undergrad. ha. and it is frustrating for that person. However, I had my interview at Northwestern about a month ago, and I spoke with the Dean of multicultural affairs about the issue, because I was scared too. He told me this low number of black matriculants is a reflection of a change in admissions deans. They acknowledge the mistake, and they are actually OVERCOMPENSATING for it in the upcoming class by admitting more URM students than usual in this cycle, so I wouldn't hold it against Northwestern. They care. They're just trying the best they can.

jus sayin'

Yeah, that's funny. One of those black people is one of my closest friends from undergrad. ha. and it is frustrating for that person. However, I had my interview at Northwestern about a month ago, and I spoke with the Dean of multicultural affairs about the issue, because I was scared too. He told me this low number of black matriculants is a reflection of a change in admissions deans. They acknowledge the mistake, and they are actually OVERCOMPENSATING for it in the upcoming class by admitting more URM students than usual in this cycle, so I wouldn't hold it against Northwestern. They care. They're just trying the best they can.

jus sayin'

I agree. :thumbup:

wow, you ain't lie. a 30 sec search led me to your fbook and it appears we have a couple friends in common...lol small ass world
Sheeeiiit... it gets even smaller at second look. Especially for AA males. It's a trip how FEW of us there are. There were probably 10 of us that I consistently saw at 2nd looks across the country. And here in CA, I know personally most of the AA males from last cycle. And there's not a lot of us.

Last edited:

jus sayin'
Also, keep in mind that there are very few of us. So if one school has a good year and enrolls 10+, then that means another school will have a bad year and only have 1 or 2 or even 0.

Also, keep in mind that there are very few of us. So if one school has a good year and enrolls 10+, then that means another school will have a bad year and only have 1 or 2 or even 0.

True. And last year a couple of top schools had a very good year.

Haha, man don't trip. I don't mean anything by that beyond don't say/express stuff you wouldn't say in real life because there is no anonymity for you (or me for that matter) on this website. No need to have random loose ends (especially if you plan to do something big in the future). :thumbup:

You found me on facebook though, huh? I can't say I am surprised; all you need is a few pieces to the puzzle before you can narrow down exactly who someone is (considering there only so many black males at HMS).

Sheeeiiit... it gets even smaller at second look. Especially for AA males. It's a trip how FEW of us there are. There were probably 10 of us that I consistently saw at 2nd looks across the country. And here in CA, I know personally most of the AA males from last cycle. And there's not a lot of us.
ok so i had trouble believing that there could be so few african american males matriculating to medical schools so i looked it up on aamc.. only 422 matriculated last year.. 422!! (not including texas schools)

out of 18,000+ matriculants (not including texas schools)..under 2.35% .. yikes :eek:

Last edited:
Haha, man don't trip. I don't mean anything by that beyond don't say/express stuff you wouldn't say in real life because there is no anonymity for you (or me for that matter) on this website. No need to have random loose ends (especially if you plan to do something big in the future). :thumbup:

You found me on facebook though, huh? I can't say I am surprised; all you need is a few pieces to the puzzle before you can narrow down exactly who someone is (considering there only so many black males at HMS).

point taken. i didnt realize how un-anonymous this website can get and i started blabbin 2 much. lol, when you are anonymous u feel like u can say whatever you want, reprecussions notwithstading. so, from here on out, let it be known to all adcomm lurkers that What up doc formerly apologizes for any disparaging or derogatory remarks made to anyone or about anything on this websie :D. but im sorry, i cant apologize for my sarcasm or sometimes less than PC sense of humor, sum ppl on this website got a big ole stick up their butt, and we all need to chill cuz this whole process is really stress inducing. but u are rite, as usual ha

ok so i had trouble believing that there could be so few african american males matriculating to medical schools so i looked it up on aamc.. only 422 matriculated last year.. 422!! (not including texas schools)

out of 18,000+ matriculants (not including texas schools)..under 2.3% .. yikes :eek:

whoa dude, i didnt even know it was that low. how do you spread out 466 black males across 165 allopathic US schools. that's less than 3 per school???? :eek: we gotta step it up real talk :thumbup:

point taken. i didnt realize how un-anonymous this website can get and i started blabbin 2 much. lol, when you are anonymous u feel like u can say whatever you want, reprecussions notwithstading. so, from here on out, let it be known to all adcomm lurkers that What up doc formerly apologizes for any disparaging or derogatory remarks made to anyone or about anything on this websie :D. but im sorry, i cant apologize for my sarcasm or sometimes less than PC sense of humor, sum ppl on this website got a big ole stick up their butt, and we all need to chill cuz this whole process is really stress inducing. but u are rite, as usual ha

whoa dude, i didnt even know it was that low. how do you spread out 466 black males across 165 allopathic US schools. that's less than 3 per school???? :eek: we gotta step it up real talk :thumbup:
REAL TALK we really need to step it up. And it's gonna have to start with us. Aside from the vast educational and economic changes that need to be made, we've gotta make sure our friends, family, associates etc. understand the value and feasibility of pursuing a medical education (and education in general). We've got to establish mentorships with the young cats coming out of high school, and teach them the rules of the game so they can do well when it's their time, and we've got to make sure our med schools are recognizing the potential in our applicants and actively seeking out and recruiting our applicants. It's not easy, but it has to be done.

I am an Arab that have been considered a minority my entire life, i have always associated with African Americans and Asians and have considered myself undeserved with a disadvantage. When I was filling my AAMC application I was that Middle Easter decent was under White Caucasian. I want to know if I can use the med-MAR service? because clearly I am a minority and not white and it would help me get accepted to schools of my interest like Howard and Meharry.

this is a dumb question, but how can i tell if i am in MED-Mar? I got the FAP but I cant recall if i ever got to sign up for Med-mar. THanks a lot!