How do you mark that you are a URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JGRbrah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how does AMCAS determine whether you are URM or not?

On the application,, you first mark your general race, (Hispanic, black, etc.) and THEN specifically which race you are (Puerto Rican, Argentinian, etc.).

So where does AMCAS make the distinction? Are you flagged as a URM by clicking the GENERAL race? or the specific race?

I ask, because I am a full Spaniard, I applied to college as a Hispanic (I called the admissions office first to make sure being Spaniard qualified as Hispanic), and plan on applying as Hispanic to Medical School as well (obviously designating myself as Spaniard).
I'm not asking whether or not I am a URM (I've gotten mixed responses to that question), I am asking whether or not my applying as a Hispanic will flag me as a URM.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, AMCAS doesn't decide whether you're URM or not; it's up to each medical school to make that decision based on their own criteria and a holistic view of your application, including race/ethnicity and possibly other factors as well (SES, personal experiences, etc.).

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/urm/

https://students-residents.aamc.org.../medical-minority-applicant-registry-med-mar/

So you don't flag yourself as URM and AMCAS doesn't either. You simply mark your race/ethnicity and AMCAS reports it to the schools you apply to. They interpret that information in their own way. You'll see in the links above that AMCAS moved away from designating specific racial or ethnic groups (i.e., Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, etc.) as URM in 2003.

So you are a white catholic spaniard? As opposed to a white protestant (german/brit/frenchman/etc)? Interesting. This is a clear example of URM ridiculousness.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying as an Hispanic, Hispanic is considered URM.

Taken from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/urm/:

Underrepresented in Medicine Definition

On March 19, 2004, the AAMC Executive Committee adopted a clarification to its definition of "underrepresented in medicine" following the Supreme Court's decision in Grutter.

The AAMC definition of underrepresented in medicine is:

"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

Adopted by the AAMC's Executive Council on June 26, 2003, the definition helps medical schools accomplish three important objectives:

• a shift in focus from a fixed aggregation of four racial and ethnic groups to a continually evolving underlying reality. The definition accommodates including and removing underrepresented groups on the basis of changing demographics of society and the profession,
  • a shift in focus from a national perspective to a regional or local perspective on underrepresentation, and
  • stimulate data collection and reporting on the broad range of racial and ethnic self-descriptions.
Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans. The AAMC remains committed to ensuring access to medical education and medicine-related careers for individuals from these four historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups.

Why don't you the same thing as you did in college and call the medical schools you're targeting and ask their thoughts on the matter?

Reactions: 1 user
So how does AMCAS determine whether you are URM or not?

On the application,, you first mark your general race, (Hispanic, black, etc.) and THEN specifically which race you are (Puerto Rican, Argentinian, etc.).

So where does AMCAS make the distinction? Are you flagged as a URM by clicking the GENERAL race? or the specific race?

I ask, because I am a full Spaniard, I applied to college as a Hispanic (I called the admissions office first to make sure being Spaniard qualified as Hispanic), and plan on applying as Hispanic to Medical School as well (obviously designating myself as Spaniard).
I'm not asking whether or not I am a URM (I've gotten mixed responses to that question), I am asking whether or not my applying as a Hispanic will flag me as a URM.
You're not URM.
You're a Spaniard, "Hispanic/Latino" should be the category, really it is an emphasis on Latino.
Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Argentinian, Haitian (which I am, and I put Hispanic/Latino, followed by Black/African-American).
I'm fairly sure Spaniard is not URM, in the same way French is not URM.

Reactions: 1 user