Med School and pets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNA-RL

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 year old, female rottweiler, and I will be attending medical school in the fall. So far the schedule seems pretty intense, my classes will usually run from 8am-5pm and i'm not sure if my dog will be okay at home alone for that long, also whats going to happen once i start rotation. Can i get all my rotations near home or do people usually have to leave to other areas? Does anyone know of anyone who has had to cope with a problem similar to the one i will soon encounter and know how that person dealt with it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If this is your main concern, then you're riding pretty fine.

I'm sure most schools have a lunch break where you can probably run home and let the pooch outside. I think rotation schedule depends on the school you are attending, so its hard to so. Some schools rotation schedule is more intense than others.

Good luck.

You can always hire a nanny... ;)

Do you have family nearby? During my undergrad I was gone from 7am to about 10pm (I worked and went to school) Monday-Thursday. Usually, I just left the dog with my mom. I dont nkow where you live but here in San Diego, dog walking is a big business. You could pay someone to walk your dog...might be kinda expensive. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I originally thought of going home at lunch to let her out, but i'm not sure i'll have enough time to do that in one hour. I guess if i have no other choice thats the best way to go about it. I would go to my parents, but they're both doctors with their own clinics, my dog wouldn't be any better off with them. Thank you both for your input.

DNA-RL said:
I have a 2 year old, female rottweiler, and I will be attending medical school in the fall. So far the schedule seems pretty intense, my classes will usually run from 8am-5pm and i'm not sure if my dog will be okay at home alone for that long, also whats going to happen once i start rotation. Can i get all my rotations near home or do people usually have to leave to other areas? Does anyone know of anyone who has had to cope with a problem similar to the one i will soon encounter and know how that person dealt with it?

Thanks!

I wish I could have brought my dog with me, but midwest winters wouldn't be too healthy for a little 7 pounder. A lot of my classmates have cats, and the ones with dogs have family here with them. Does your home have an enclosed, outdoor space for your dog? If you had a backdoor to a yard, with a doggie door, then it should be fine for her to stay home from 8-5. You might have to scope out some good dogsitters or boarding kennels, just in case you want to go to a conference or something for a few days. Good luck :)

I have a 5 yo male rottweiler. For me, it was never an issue of bringing my "security system" or not, but rather a question of whether I could find a place that would ALLOW him. Lets face it, they don't have the greatest reputation... We even had a hard time with renters insurance because of him.

As for being away for so long, LOTS of people work 8+ hours a day and still have dogs. You may have to spend a little extra time with her at night, but that's no big deal. In my personal opinion, I would keep her. She'll be a nice distraction from the bloughs of med school!! Hiwever, I wish you the BEST of luck finding a place to take her!!! :luck:

I know it sounds funny but there are doggy daycares. Perhaps you could afford to send your dog to one 2 times a week. That way it would have dogs and people to interact with some days of the week.

Doggie day care hunh, yeah thats definetly another alternative, either that or dog walker, although the doggie door with the back yard sounds really cool. Question: How long would it take to train my dog to learn how to use it?

Thanks again for your replies everyone, they've been very helpful.

DNA-RL said:
Doggie day care hunh, yeah thats definetly another alternative, either that or dog walker, although the doggie door with the back yard sounds really cool. Question: How long would it take to train my dog to learn how to use it?

Thanks again for your replies everyone, they've been very helpful.

From my experience, dogs LOVE doggie doors! It gives them a sense of independence :p After you install it, if they don't run through it right away, just give them a little nudge...maybe a shove...and they'll get the idea. If your dog is used to doing its business outdoors already, it'll naturally go out when it needs to. Oh, and I recommend one with a hard flap instead of those flimsy rubber ones because it will be quite a large hole in your door, considering the size of your dog.

luckystar said:
From my experience, dogs LOVE doggie doors! It gives them a sense of independence :p After you install it, if they don't run through it right away, just give them a little nudge...maybe a shove...and they'll get the idea. If your dog is used to doing its business outdoors already, it'll naturally go out when it needs to. Oh, and I recommend one with a hard flap instead of those flimsy rubber ones because it will be quite a large hole in your door, considering the size of your dog.

Wow really, they work that well hunh, great i'll definetly try to find a duplex then with a back yard and install one of those doggie doors. Thanks lucky!

Ok a safety question... can you secure the dooors so they can't be opened in the night so no one can break in. A door big enough for a big dog could possibly let a person in couldn't it? Although with a Rottweilier waiting on the other side, it wouldn't be a smart thing to do. :scared:

Amy B said:
Ok a safety question... can you secure the dooors so they can't be opened in the night so no one can break in. A door big enough for a big dog could possibly let a person in couldn't it? Although with a Rottweilier waiting on the other side, it wouldn't be a smart thing to do. :scared:

Yup, most of them have a little lock at the bottom so you can keep it closed when you want to. Another reason to get a hard flap over the flexible plastic.

well, not sure about dogs, but if you get snakes most adults only need to be fed twice a month and water dish changed once or twice a week.

I decided to stop at 12 snakes. I must say though there's no better stress reliever than watching my Green Tree Python put a smack down on a large rat. ;)

1.1 normal adult corns
1.1 yearling Miami phase corns
1.1 yearling Anerythristic corns
1.1 yearling anery striped corns
1.0 yearling striped normal corn
0.1 yearling hypomelanistic striped corn
0.1 BALL python
1.0 Green Tree Python

Say hello to my little friend:
verdi-hangingout-awesome.jpg

I mean come on, how can you say no to such a cute face :) :love: :laugh: :smuggrin:

H0mersimps0n said:
well, not sure about dogs, but if you get snakes most adults only need to be fed twice a month and water dish changed once or twice a week.

I decided to stop at 12 snakes. I must say though there's no better stress reliever than watching my Green Tree Python put a smack down on a large rat. ;)

1.1 normal adult corns
1.1 yearling Miami phase corns
1.1 yearling Anerythristic corns
1.1 yearling anery striped corns
1.0 yearling striped normal corn
0.1 yearling hypomelanistic striped corn
0.1 BALL python
1.0 Green Tree Python

Say hello to my little friend:
verdi-hangingout-awesome.jpg

I mean come on, how can you say no to such a cute face :) :love: :laugh: :smuggrin:

H0mersimps0n,

I really, really want to get a dog... but I know I need to wait till I have more time for it. So a snake has crossed my mind. I really like California king snakes. In one of my zoology classes someone brought one in and i played with it during the whole lecture. Since you have a lot of snakes I wanted to know what kind you would recommend as the friendliest (as in a very slim chance it would bite anyone) and just best overall. THanks! :oops: and yes your python is really cute!

-Jen

Jen oh Jen, what a wonderful coincidence you are coming to LECOM in the fall and are interested in snakes.

Reptiles are my passion. When I have time I love to read and learn about their natural habitats, behaviors and husbandry.

IMO there are two "gateway" snakes. I refer to them as being gateway mainly because reptiles are like Lay's potato chips, you can't just have one.

Anyway, the two goodies to start with are cornsnakes and ball pythons. Cal Kings are a close third on the list but since I've never owned a king I can't speak for them. Personally, I've avoided kings because they have a nasty tendency to eat each other if housed together. Corns and Balls don't have this problem 99.9% of the time. Balls require a close eye on humidity as they originate from a savannah type climate. Corns originate from east coast US as north as PA (where keeping, touching or looking at WILD CAUGHT specimens is punishable by death- not captive bred = cb.) down to the southernmost tip of FL. Because of their wide variety of location they tolerate wild temperature ranges and no humidity tracking is required (although misting the tank at night does spurr some crazy feeding frenzy activity- it also aparently triggers a sex response in males).

Ball pythons get extremely girthy but not usually longer than 4'. Corns stay fairly slender and can get 4'-6' as well. Ball pythons tend to come in the similar patterns, colors and morphs UNLESS you are willing to spend $11,000 for a piebald. CORNS are a different story, they come in all different colors, patterns, and genetics at cheap prices (Corn lovers are genetics FREAKS). BOTH ANIMALS IF TREATED PROPERLY are 100% safe to hold and play with. My 4 year old Ball and my two three year old adult corns have never, ever bitten me.

Now, the lucky you part. Last summer I took a first stab at breeding my two adult normal corns and successfully hatched two clutches of the cuties baby snakes you'd ever seen. As I sit here my female adult normal is lying in her "laying hut" ready to dump her first clutch of this year on me (from what I can tell she'll be laying in the next 5 weeks). Typically clutch sizes are 8-20 eggs and she had like 15 and 13 successful eggs hatch last year.

As a congratulations and welcome to medical school present from me to you, you can have your pick of any of the hatchlings of your choice when they hatch, free of charge. All you'd have to do is purchase housing, water dish, half-log hut, and some frozen pinkies (easily purchased online for CHEAP).

IF you take me up on this offer and keep a corn for a year the following summer my more exotic corns will be ready to breed (re: striped and non-normal babies- beautiful pets) and you would have opportunies to feed your obsession as it will certainly have blossomed...

I started with one, I now have 12. I gave my dad one from the clutches last summer and now he has bought two more already.

PLEASE feel free to ask questions and inquire about whatever you want.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

P.S. even the worst corn bite is little more than a bee sting, umm, that Green Tree Python is a whole different story though.

P.P.S. I too want a dog badly, and while I have friends who have (multiple) dogs, when I ask them what they are going to do with their dogs 3rd and 4th year they really don't know. LECOM students do a lot of hopping around those years and just make sure you have someone who can take care of your pets if need be during rotations. Because my Green Tree is so picky about temps and humidity I'll probably dump him off on my dad while I do 3rd and 4th year but if at all possible the corns should be able to move and stay with me during those years.

H0mersimps0n,

oh that's awesome! :love:
i'll PM you!

-Jen

I believe that Vet schools are still taking applications....they may have programs where you bring your pet to school with you. :laugh:

In all honesty...you guys are in a tough position...hope things work out. I personally left my cocker spaniel at home in California. So, while she is on the beach, I am digging my car out of the snow while studying for toxicology....go figure.