This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ice Princess23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm kind of new to the whole pre-med thing, I was off and on about it during my undergrad career so I only got some of my pre-reqs (I'm getting the rest now). I just graduated from Johns Hopkins University with a double degree, both science related. I don't have the highest GPA though... this past year I've maintained above a 3.0 and I think my science GPA is above a 3.0, but my overall gpa is like 2.9. I don't know if it makes a difference that I studied at Hopkins, graduating with a 3.7 from that school isn't very common. Anyway, how important is GPA? Can it be offset by other factors? Like what if I do really well on the MCAT? I also have research experience and a lot of volunteer hours + other extra curriculars. I've always heard that for the med school application it helps to be well-rounded and grades aren't necessarily enough to get you in. Thanks to everyone who reads this and replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm kind of new to the whole pre-med thing, I was off and on about it during my undergrad career so I only got some of my pre-reqs (I'm getting the rest now). I just graduated from Johns Hopkins University with a double degree, both science related. I don't have the highest GPA though... this past year I've maintained above a 3.0 and I think my science GPA is above a 3.0, but my overall gpa is like 2.9. I don't know if it makes a difference that I studied at Hopkins, graduating with a 3.7 from that school isn't very common. Anyway, how important is GPA? Can it be offset by other factors? Like what if I do really well on the MCAT? I also have research experience and a lot of volunteer hours + other extra curriculars. I've always heard that for the med school application it helps to be well-rounded and grades aren't necessarily enough to get you in. Thanks to everyone who reads this and replies!
Read this too:

The Low Gpa--What Do I Do Thread