Med School Gap Year (One Year MPH)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

Newusername

I'm interested in applying for a one year MPH program between 3rd and 4th year of medical school and had some questions.....

There is not a lot out there about admissions to the top schools (JHU, HSPH, Emory, Yale, Columbia, USC, etc) so I was curious what these classes generally look like? To figure out where I stand and guide my apps

Here is my info.....

Undergrad in Biology at a major Public University
MBA from a major Public University (Not a top ranked B school)
Working on my D.O. at one of the oldest, best Osteo schools in the country

Not sure if they have D.O. bias, or what type of background they expect?

Also anyone that has done any of these programs and has advice about it feel free to chime in.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what you are asking, but if you are good and have a strong application you can get in anywhere. I am an incoming Hopkins MPH student and I hold a PhD in Microbiology. My class is very diverse--we have medical students, physicians, dentist, Peace corps , pharmacists, people that have been working for non profits, etc. So you will have a shot.

Not sure what you are asking, but if you are good and have a strong application you can get in anywhere. I am an incoming Hopkins MPH student and I hold a PhD in Microbiology. My class is very diverse--we have medical students, physicians, dentist, Peace corps , pharmacists, people that have been working for non profits, etc. So you will have a shot.

Yeah, sorry - To clarify I am asking what kind of background do they generally look for and what makes a strong application?

There is not set background that they are looking for, but you must exhibit a strong commitment to public health. With any professional degree, they want to know how you see yourself using it. So if you can think of a good reason/rationale for wanting to get an MPH in addition to your DO, you should be fine.