med school in germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi! I was wondering, medicine is 6 years in germany? does it have a per clinical cycle the first 3 years and a clinical cycle the last three?
and when do you have your states exam? and last but not least to do a 5th year exchange program is possible or it it really complicated with all the exams?
THNXS!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the medical program in Germany regularly takes 6 years, divided into 2 pre-clinical years, 3 clinical years, and 1 "practical year". It is easily possible to do an exchange, German medical schools usually offer extensive exchange programs within Europe. You may find yourself needing to add an extra semester to those 6 years to complete all your classes before graduating, as medical curricula differ throughout Europe and you may not be able to take all the classes you need for your German medical school syllabus during your exchange. Personally, I wouldn't mind that, since 6 years is still pretty quick for a combined undergrad-grad program and the experience is surely worth it, should the extra semester be necessary.

A few questions: What is the criteria for admission of international students into, arguably, some of the top German medical schools? i.e. LMU, TU, Heidelburg, etc. From what I have gathered an upper-tier score on the language proficiency exams is required for international students to matriculate into German medical school. Any ideas about average GPA's for Int'l Students? Basic science requirements? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am American and went to the LMU. My DSH score was around 80% my GPA was 3.6 from a US state school with a major in Psych (pre-med) and I had 2 years research experience- this was fine to get in. I am not sure about minimum requirements but there were many non-EU students with much weaker German skills so I don't think a score that high is necessary. I think any bachelor's degree is enough. if you have taken some science courses (Chem, Bio, Physics, Biochem etc...) they will likely be accepted so you will not have to take them again but.... apply for this early because it takes about 6 months for the paperwork to go through!

one more thing... I don't think you can apply directly to the TU. All students in the Vorklinik (first 2 years) in Munich are at the LMU.... it then splits for the Klinik (you just choose which one you want and hope that you get your 1st choice). This is the case since about 2000.

mmmiles-
Thank you for the speedy and helpful response. I too am an American student with a Bachelors degree (Political Science) from a U.S. school and med pre-req's completed. I have spent the last 9 months researching potential med routes and have been in the process of getting together applications for medical schools here in the U.S. and in the Carribean for Fall of '10. Until recently I thought I had things planned out (to some degree) but a few weeks ago I connected with a good friend who encouraged me to take a look at studying in Germany. I think that it would be such a neat and surely testing experience to study medicine in a country outside of my own and think that Germany would be wonderful. Since I would not be entering medical school until next year anyway at the earliest, I figure taking the next semester or two to learn German and see if I can make it into a good med program is a must. I think if I do not take the chance I will regret passing up on the opportunity particularly because I am interested in primary care and from what I have read the German primary care integrates a lot of homeopathics etc -- my interest. Sorry for the novel. So, what I am wondering is if you might have any recommendations with regard to where I should try to take the language classes? Goethe, LMU, etc. If you haven't noticed, I am only mentioning institutes in Munich. The reason for this is because I am planning on living with family friends that live in Munich and would be able to live more economically in the area. By the way, how did studying in German work out for you? Sorry for all of the questions I am just very curious and excited about the potential of studying in Germany. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you would have very good chances getting into the LMU if you can master German. I was nearly fluent after about 1 year and had no problem studying in German after 2 years- I am not particularly talented at languages but I did work hard at learning. I think you need to be living in the country to learn that quickly!! You can take courses at the Goethe Institute (very good but expensive) or one of the other language schools in the city. I took classes at the Volkshochschule which is govermnent sponsored- it is cheap but not as intense as the other programs. The most important thing- avoid all english speakers- It is lonely in the beginning but you will learn much faster if you have to struggle!!

As far as studying in Germany- the language will always be an obstacle (even once you are fluent you will encounter patients with strong dialects and struggle with writing "arztbriefe") but it was easier than I expected. I loved Germany and am sad to be returning to the US!!! Munich is a great city and I am really happy with the education that I got. However, there are differences and I knew some americans that were not as happy or adjusted so you should try it out for a while- you will probably know quickly if it is for you or not.

My only warning.... think about where you want to be at the end of it all- US or Germany. You will have no problem getting a job in Germany if you complete your studies there but it can be difficult to return to the US (absolutely possible but difficult). I am in the process of returning now..... It is a lot of work- more exams, an annoying gap year and a lot of money. I didn't plan my return very well and now I am paying for it!!

Good luck!!

Hi all. I hope the same, informed people still visit this thread. I have a few questions, sorry if some are redundant.

Briefly about me, I'm currently applying to U.S. MD schools for 2010 matriculation, my best chance as of now is University of Missouri-Columbia. However, I was a German major and only switched to pre-medicine after studying in Tuebingen for Sommersemester 2007. I would love to go to Tuebingen or Berlin or most other places in Germany for medical school.
My stats: MCAT: 31P. Inorganic Chem I, II: B+, A. Org Chem I, II, Lab: A, A, A+. Gen Bio, Genetics, Cell Bio: A, A+, A. Biochem A. Evolutionary Medicine: A, Medical Ethics: A+. Did honors research in stem cell lab 7 months. Hospital Volunteer experience 2+ years.
So my science GPA is high, but my cum GPA is 3.45, low :( from business classes (started college as business major). U.S. citizen, male, 25

1. Though tuition is far cheaper, can any U.S. loans be used to fund living expenses and the semester fee?
2. Could a bachelors in German suffice for school applications, allowing me to only pass the TestDaF prior to matriculation. I'm a bit rusty, would need at least 2 months of intensive language instruction before I'd be comfortable studying. Though that would be easy if I knew I had a place as I'd just move to D-land 6 months early or so. Possible???
3. Do german med schools even care about MCAT scores, know how to interpret them? I think 30 is average for successful applicants, with an average of 25 for all test takers.
4. Does anyone recommend something like a Goethe 4 or 8 wk intensive course prior to taking the DaF
5. Do many schools utilize problem based learning, or mostly lecture for learning the basic medical sciences?
6. Honest opinion on my chances?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to both read and respond.
Brian

Sorry, one more question
Roughly, what would be the ideal timeline/application process for one to begin in Sommersomester of next year. I assume it's too close to Wintersemester of 2010, is this correct?

Wondering if any other Americans have an opinion as to the worth of German medical degree (Arzt, not Dr. Med) versus a US D.O. (doctor of osteopathic medicine) degree

MCAT means nothing here. Not even a consideration.

Your grades are quite good, and perhaps you might be able to place out of some classes, though I don't recommend placing out of the whole bunch.

Language: You might have language studies, but they still need proof. The German tests are very technical and test if you know the technical aspects of the language as well as the actual understanding.

You can also take a DSH for the uni, or Goethe offers the ZOP.

While there are a lot of American students, they aren't favored, as it's well-known we're only here for a combination of low-costs, or inability to get into a US school. In my case, I lived here already, and have proof that my life is based here. Germany prefers the international spots being given out to underserved/developing coutries, with many spots being given out to middle eastern students, Africans, and Asians.

Are there Medical Schools in Germany that are operating in a trimester system, so much so that 6.3 academic years would actually be less in actual calendar years?

Hello. What are the requirements for going to a German medical school if I am only an american citizen and do not speak german? Would it be possible to just stay in Germany as a visitor for a year while learning German and then get admitted to medical school? Or if I just learned German to a certain level while living in usa and holding some job? And let's say I got admitted and got attend a school somewhere like Munich? Could I then finish my training there and work as a cardiologist in austria? How much do drs get paid there?

Also, I have very high mcat and now enrolled in a masters program but still getting rejected from american med schools. I think I hurt my application with my low gpa, but hurt it further with my inferior work experience, and hurt it further during my interviews when I said stuff that I did not mean to say that led them to conclude i have no interpersonal skills. I still have to hear from 1 american school interview, but I think if I get rejected I have no future here. Also I am old. And I wonder how it is to study for 6years in Germany, would I then get a prestigious job or just end up lower middle class?
Thanks!

hi there,
i am currently studying medicine in italy
i wanted to ask if they accept transfer from other countries outside Germany and what do i need to do exactly if its possible.

another question,where can i fin dthe phone numbers of the medical faculties of Germany ?

thank you so much