Med School Laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GryffinDR

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a new laptop for Med School, does anybody have an opinion? I'm currently looking at the new Surface Book and MacBook Pro. I like the idea of using the Surface as a tablet for notes, but I'm not sure if I would actually use it.

Anybody have some good anecdotal evidence about either of these two options? They're both good options, I'm just looking for personal opinions

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen some med students take good notes on a Surface Book but I've always been a Mac guy myself. Plus, the new MacBook Pro line looks pretty sweet (minus the price tag).

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally like my Macbook pro a lot, but I have classmates that use the Surface and take notes by writing on the screen. It's more important to me to have a powerful standard laptop with a very good battery life and low weight as well as reliability. This is my first mac ever and I've had it for 4 years now with extremely minimal problems and its still going strong. I've owned several windows laptops before and all of them developed more serious problems and had to be replaced in 2-2.5 years. The downside to the macbook pro is that it's extremely expensive, but I'm very particular about my electronics now and think that it was worth it to be this functional and hassle free for so long.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Reactions: 4 users
It is a personal preference and feel. Both are good, whichever you think is best.

You won't need the new Surface Book. Just get the base i5 model. You likely won't have much time to put the GPU in the new model to good use anyway. But I would definitely recommend it over the MBP. Apple products just aren't worth the price.
As someone who isn't incredibly computer-savvy, is there a significant processing/ utility/ performance benefit between the new Surface and the i5?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

@GryffinDR None.

I own a Surface Pro 3 and a Macbook Pro.

The Surface Pro 3 was intended to be used for all the reasons people mentioned, but it too heavy to be an ideal tablet and too clunky to be an effective laptop. The power chord would often times get in the way of accessibility and I broke the screen by resting my elbows on the surface. I was informed that the screen replacement would cost me around $300.

When my niece stepped on my Macbook they replaced the $700+ screen because it was covered under their 2 year complimentary warranty that comes with the product. For Windows you need to pay extra $$$ for that service. My experience with the Surface Pro 3 was that it was a gimmick buy that I was never able to utilize because it was too expensive a device to feel comfortable using.

The screen is glass and the keyboard feels like cardboard. It doesn't feel like neither a tablet nor a laptop. The lack of ergonomic design for me made me feel like I was taking a Gucci product with me to class rather than an insured product that would take notes and came with guaranteed coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who isn't incredibly computer-savvy, is there a significant processing/ utility/ performance benefit between the new Surface and the i5?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
If you are asking if you will use the extra horsepower that the new intel chips provide. I will say no. Unless you are doing something extremely processor
/ Gpu intensive I.e . Large data set analysis matlab,r,Stata, or gaming, video editing etc, you are not likely to see a benefit. The I5 model is sufficient for most if not all use.

@GryffinDR None.

I own a Surface Pro 3 and a Macbook Pro.

The Surface Pro 3 was intended to be used for all the reasons people mentioned, but it too heavy to be an ideal tablet and too clunky to be an effective laptop. The power chord would often times get in the way of accessibility and I broke the screen by resting my elbows on the surface. I was informed that the screen replacement would cost me around $300.

When my niece stepped on my Macbook they replaced the $700+ screen because it was covered under their 2 year complimentary warranty that comes with the product. For Windows you need to pay extra $$$ for that service.
you could have just paid for the accidental service plan on the surface pro and it would have still been cheaper than an equally equipped macbook pro.

The trend among a solid plurality of my class is an integrated Apple approach: MacBook Air or Pro; iPad (mini, standard, or Pro) and Apple Pen. It's a little more expensive but it works really well. I have heard that the Surface Pro just isn't as good from the few people in my class using one.

A smaller fraction uses just an Apple laptop, which is where I fall into: I got the base model of the 11 inch MacBook Air. First time I'm using an Apple product and it works great for what I need it for. A small group use Windows machines of all sorts, and I think maybe one person has a custom Linux build that they use for everything but exams (which we are required to use a Windows or Apple machine).

you could have just paid for the accidental service plan on the surface pro and it would have still been cheaper than an equally equipped macbook pro.
True. That's why I just went with the 13" Macbook Air.

Also, I owned both systems. It wasn't a price comparison stand point. I bought it for the ergonomic versatility and was disappointed by Microsoft. You know what's a joke? The Microsoft app store. Last time I checked I found Mario Kart 64 as an app store download on the first page of their games section.

I'm trying to decide on a new laptop for Med School, does anybody have an opinion? I'm currently looking at the new Surface Book and MacBook Pro. I like the idea of using the Surface as a tablet for notes, but I'm not sure if I would actually use it.

Anybody have some good anecdotal evidence about either of these two options? They're both good options, I'm just looking for personal opinions
Here is the thing, mac vs windows is like DO vs MD. You will find plenty of opinions and most of them are off base. It really just comes down to what your school wants. Some schools have said you need a Mac, others say You will need a windows machine.

If you want a traditional laptop style computer Get a macbook
if you want a traditional laptop style computer Plus touchscreen - get a Dell XPS 13 or 15
If you want a tablet Get a Surface Pro or Ipad pro
If you want all of the above get a surfacebook

I would recommend going to best buy and spending a few hours there with each device and putting it through your use cases. Or contacting your school and speaking to the students there.

There really isnt a right or wrong answer unless your school mandates one over the other.

I swear by the surface pro. I've never used a desktop or laptop even once in the couple years since I bought it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best Buy offers full returns if you return your system within 2 weeks of initial purchase with the receipt.

Can't tell you how much I wanted my Dell XPS to work out or how many other cheaper brands I tried out before using a Mac. It literally is worth every $ I paid for it. Most people take the Mac touch pad system for granted. The gesture system, mouse tracking, and integration with documentation has a level of intuitive functionality that I feel trumps touch screen. Also, I have never had an issue with the fan conduction system. I would always have to deal with inefficient laptops that weren't able to properly compensate for just regular internet browsing with the fan going off so loud I thought I was getting ready for lift off at the airport. Finally, I've had no issues with viruses. I still use a Windows desktop, however the amount of precautions I run on that system outscale the simple adblock + no script combination I run on my browser when I use my Mac.

Here is the thing, mac vs windows is like DO vs MD. You will find plenty of opinions and most of them are off base. It really just comes down to what your school wants. Some schools have said you need a Mac, others say You will need a windows machine.

Haha the bold summed this topic of conversation up quite nicely.

So, yes, you should really look into what the school requires before investing in a laptop. It'd be smart to look at the technology guidelines in the admission/matriculation section of the school's website, as many schools "provide" you with some sort of device (I say "provide" because you pay for that bad boy in your tuition, obviously), and said device is usually required to take exams/practicals so you might as well get used to using the thing during lectures and labs. Plus, a laptop decision based on this logic really saves the headache when you'd like to sync up everything and back up files.

Was always a Mac guy, and still am for now, but the new (2017) Macs just aren't powerful enough to warrant their price tag anymore.

Reactions: 3 users
Was always a Mac guy, and still am for now, but the new (2017) Macs just aren't powerful enough to warrant their price tag anymore.
This So many times. Even before the refresh Macbook pro's were woefully outdated. They were running processors that were 2 generations old and no dedicated graphics card. This http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/2/10888636/dell-xps-15-review-windows-10 is what I rock and am pretty happy with none of the issues that @Sardinia has talked about. But my needs are different compared to most people. Most people would be happy with a 600 dollar chromebook for their needs.

Now if we are talking phones. The iphone blows everything out of the water speed wise. I just wish they would update the design and the os.

Last edited:
Just watched the video for the new MacBook Pro and I'm sold. I will definitely be buying this before med school starts. Apple can have all my money.

Macbooks can seem expensive at first. But they are built so well that they last very long without losing performance, so it balances out in the long run (or sometimes even goes in the favor of macs).

I personally like my Macbook pro a lot, but I have classmates that use the Surface and take notes by writing on the screen. It's more important to me to have a powerful standard laptop with a very good battery life and low weight as well as reliability. This is my first mac ever and I've had it for 4 years now with extremely minimal problems and its still going strong. I've owned several windows laptops before and all of them developed more serious problems and had to be replaced in 2-2.5 years. The downside to the macbook pro is that it's extremely expensive, but I'm very particular about my electronics now and think that it was worth it to be this functional and hassle free for so long.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I remember you once saying you gained 30 pounds of muscle in a year. So maybe you press the keys too hard lol because 2 years seems ridiculously short... even for a windows laptop.

I remember you once saying you gained 30 pounds of muscle in a year. So maybe you press the keys too hard lol because 2 years seems ridiculously short... even for a windows laptop.

I agree that 2 years seems short for a laptop, which is why I am pleasantly surprised by the longevity of my current laptop, which is still going strong. I closed my previous post with, you probably can't go wrong with either. Personal preference will trump everything else here.

Macs are overpriced and worshiped a little too much by their customer base. If you are tech minded and have a little common sense, you get far more bang for your buck with a PC.

Get a MacBook. If you have issues you walk into an apple store and have a solution within hours usually. Break a Dell or MS tablet and good luck being out of a computer while they ship it off for repair.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree that 2 years seems short for a laptop, which is why I am pleasantly surprised by the longevity of my current laptop, which is still going strong. I closed my previous post with, you probably can't go wrong with either. Personal preference will trump everything else here.

My MBP just turned 3 years old and still no issues -aside for two rubber feet coming off.

OP, get a Mac and save yourself of all the annoying hassles that come with a PC.

I got a Surface Book last year to replace my MBP. I loved my Mac and I'm sure it would have been fine for school, but being able to draw directly on slides without printing them out is pretty nifty.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It also depends on what you're doing with the laptop. Are you a student that will be surfing the web, running Office, and typing notes? Sure get the Mac; take care of it and it should last you throughout med school and residency no problem. Are you a student who might get do research (or are a MD/PhD)? Then you might want to seriously look into alternatives. The most expensive Macbook, at almost $3K, has 16gb RAM. That's simply not enough for some programs/ some data processing.

BEFORE YOU BUY make sure you look into your medschool's full tuition detail and check if there's a computer cost. If they supply you with a laptop then you can't opt out of it and might be stuck paying for 2 computers

I've had my surface pro 3 for years now....hands down the best machine for classes....writing directly onto PDF---that pen is flawless. No laptop, MBP or dell...can even compare. As for MBP lasting 4-6 years...come on...I have HP laptops from work that lasted like 10 years....it doesnt make them good...it just makes them outdated. Why would you want a 6 year old mbp anyway...and they're bulky and heavy. To me...it only comes down to the surface pro or the mac air....and surface pro wins hands down.

I've had my surface pro 3 for years now....hands down the best machine for classes....writing directly onto PDF---that pen is flawless. No laptop, MBP or dell...can even compare. As for MBP lasting 4-6 years...come on...I have HP laptops from work that lasted like 10 years....it doesnt make them good...it just makes them outdated. Why would you want a 6 year old mbp anyway...and they're bulky and heavy. To me...it only comes down to the surface pro or the mac air....and surface pro wins hands down.
I definitely need to try it for myself but would you say the pen option feels natural on the surface?

Ask your medical school. I've interviewed at schools that provide a laptop, schools that require a specific type of laptop, schools that have particular minimum specifications, and schools that don't give a damn.

It also depends on what you're doing with the laptop. Are you a student that will be surfing the web, running Office, and typing notes? Sure get the Mac; take care of it and it should last you throughout med school and residency no problem. Are you a student who might get do research (or are a MD/PhD)? Then you might want to seriously look into alternatives. The most expensive Macbook, at almost $3K, has 16gb RAM. That's simply not enough for some programs/ some data processing.
32gb , 4k , 1tb ssd,i7 pcmr checking in.

Last edited:
I'm counting my chickens before they hatch, but would a macbook air or macbook be sufficient for medical school or would people suggest a macbook pro?

I'm counting my chickens before they hatch, but would a macbook air or macbook be sufficient for medical school or would people suggest a macbook pro?

Don't think a pro would be necessary. My school provides mac airs for students so I think that says they're sufficient. I know other schools provide iPads as well, not even a laptop lol

Don't think a pro would be necessary. My school provides mac airs for students so I think that says they're sufficient. I know other schools provide iPads as well, not even a laptop lol

Ok awesome, I was under the impression for the anatomy block that those virtual human body softwares were graphics intensive, are they not?

Just watched the video for the new MacBook Pro and I'm sold. I will definitely be buying this before med school starts. Apple can have all my money.

Which part sold you? The fact that 16 gigs of ram is the max or the fact that it can't even directly connect to an iphone (apple's flagship phone).

Reactions: 6 users
Which part sold you? The fact that 16 gigs of ram is the max or the fact that it can't even directly connect to an iphone (apple's flagship phone).
Both

Mac has done a fantastic job of marketing their brand as being "better for graphics" when this is plain untrue. For less money, better gpus (video cards) and cpus are available in similar complete packages for Windows/linux. Macs never have the best hardware on the market, not even upper tier hardware.

The only advantage Mac can factually talk about is that they work out of the box. But that's not worth a 2x price gouge to me, and I would much rather have the freedom to choose my hardware than get hobbled by theirs. I've never had issues getting a new PC to work within a day or two, problems free for life (5+ years) from then on. And I can update my PC modularly, one Frankenstein piece at a time, extending that life if I desire.

Lol'd.

HP Spectre x360 has worked great for me so far if you aren't set on a mac. Great display resolution, top of the line specs, touch screen, looks sexy, etc. And better keyboard in my opinion than the Dell XPS13 or whatever their flagship ultrabook is (which is generally considered one of the best on the market). Couple hundred cheaper than the Dell too

Word to the wise though, the HP stylus sucks. The Dell stylus is much better. Best Buy employees and HP support will tell you it won't work with the HP laptop, but it does.

What exactly do you need 16gb of ram for? Unless your editing videos or playing games on it I can't see any reason for more than that.

What exactly do you need 16gb of ram for? Unless your editing videos or playing games on it I can't see any reason for more than that.
Have you ever used chrome?

I don't but that's why I'm not the one buying macbook pros. If you're going to sell a laptop for 1500 you better give me my money's worth.

Data analysis (which obviously not every med student needs).

I bought an apple-certified refurbished Macbook Pro for 900$ plus applecare in 2010. It was replaced by apple for a brand new MBP under applecare in 2013 after some minor mainboard issues and I'm still using that laptop to this day. Granted I mainly use my desktop PC now, but not a bad investment all things considered.

All graduate students ever get macbook pros. It's how we feel elite, even though we usually feel incompetent.