Med school or Podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brad504

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you go to med school and then go into podiatry, or do you need to just go straight into podiatry school?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you go to med school and then go into podiatry, or do you need to just go straight into podiatry school?

I would think you *could*, but why would you want to do that? Podiatry is a 4 year medical education, followed by a 3 year surgical residency.

You will not get student loans to do both. Unless you are independantly wealthy, I'm not sure how you would fund it, but if you wanted to, I'm sure you could.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the post was asking can you go to an allopathic or osteopathic medical school and then specialize in podiatry. And the answer is yes. There are many DO or MDs that specialize in ortho of the lower extremity. My friend at Rosalind Franklin med school is in the MD program but will specialize in podiatry. The residency will be longer for an MD/DO because I think you have to do an ortho residency, if I am not mistaken.

I think the post was asking can you go to an allopathic or osteopathic medical school and then specialize in podiatry. And the answer is yes. There are many DO or MDs that specialize in ortho of the lower extremity. My friend at Rosalind Franklin med school is in the MD program but will specialize in podiatry. The residency will be longer for an MD/DO because I think you have to do an ortho residency, if I am not mistaken.

I really don't think you know what you're talking about. Sorry for being blunt. A foot and ankle orthopod does not equate to a podiatrist. I hate to bring this up again, but foot and ankle orthos do mostly osseous sugery of the foot and ankle, and most don't do diabetic/at risk foot care, ulcer/wound care, dermatological disorders, soft tissue surgery of the foot and ankle (over and above Achilles Tendon issues), limb salvage...etc.

Foot and Ankle Orthos do a general Ortho residency and then do a 6 month to one year Foot and Ankle Fellowship (my opinions on this are all over this site in other threads). They are NOT Podiatrists.

Your friend may be in MD school, but probably has little idea whether he or she will land an Ortho residency through the match process and eventually participate in an Ortho Foot and Ankle fellowship. IF he or she does, he or she won't be a Podiatrist. The only way to become a Podiatrist is to attend and graduate from one of the accredited Podiatry Schools.

This is kinda misleading. Your friend isn't "specializing in podiatry". He/she is specializing in orthopedic surgery then doing a fellowship in Foot/ankle.

I really don't think you know what you're talking about. Sorry for being blunt. A foot and ankle orthopod does not equate to a podiatrist. I hate to bring this up again, but foot and ankle orthos do mostly osseous sugery of the foot and ankle, and most don't do diabetic/at risk foot care, ulcer/wound care, dermatological disorders, soft tissue surgery of the foot and ankle (over and above Achilles Tendon issues), limb salvage...etc.

I really don't think YOU know what you're talking about. Orthopods that choose to specialize in, and choose to focus their practice on the foot and ankle DO perform a significant amount of soft tissue cases, diabetic/ulcer care, limb salvage, etc... They may not see the same proportion of "toe nail clipping" type patients because they can fill their clinic with other types of cases and frankly, they do not frequently get those types of referrals from the community.

I really don't think YOU know what you're talking about. Orthopods that choose to specialize in, and choose to focus their practice on the foot and ankle DO perform a significant amount of soft tissue cases, diabetic/ulcer care, limb salvage, etc... They may not see the same proportion of "toe nail clipping" type patients because they can fill their clinic with other types of cases and frankly, they do not frequently get those types of referrals from the community.

Hmm, I've working in large metropolis areas for years and now in a very large area (6 million plus) and have never met an orthopod that does this kind of work. I also work at a certified wound care center that has been around for many years and none of these centers that I know have ever had a foot and ankle orthopod on their staff. The orthos I've known throughout my career have always run away from this work and have sent it to me or a close colleague. Also, if you noticed, I didn't say "all", but "most". Where are you seeing this? Educate me.

Students telling attendings that they don't know what they're talking about...

...Really now?

I have seen one F&A orthopod who does a high volume of wound care and limb salvage, but it is indeed a rarity.

To the confused poster above: Orthos normally focus on bones and joints, and refer out everything else outside of a ganglion removal or simple soft tissue procedure.

Students telling attendings that they don't know what they're talking about...

...Really now?

Careful now. Some attendings don't know their @** from a ham sandwich, so don't assume you can trust 'em all equally. Luckily the ones who post on this forum are usually on top of things, as they probably are in this case.