Med School Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anabolic1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm currently a Sophomore in College at Middle Tennessee State University. I will probably be transferring to the University of Tennessee next year. My major right now is Biology, but I have heard from some people that med-schools take a certain percentage of students from different majors and that they don't neccessarily look for Science majors. Is this true? Any reponses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in pretty much anything you want and get into med school, as long as you take the pre-med requirements. The vast majority of matriculants end up being science majors, but still a decent percentage are from liberal arts or other studies. Some schools might even prefer the liberal arts/pre-med type who might seem more well-rounded.

The best advice in my opinion - MAJOR IN WHAT YOU WANT TO MAJOR IN. Do NOT select a major based on what will get you into medical school. As long as you have the pre-reqs you will be fine. Remember, for four years, you will have to wake up and go study something during your undergrad years, make it something that you like.

If it is true that a higher percentage of the humanities majors that apply are accepted, I am convinced that it is because during interviews, they are able to talk passionately about what they studied in undergrad as opposed to talking about something that they endured.

FWIW, I was a philosophy major, and got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow thanks for the replies they were very helpful.

Yeah. Major choice is a no lose situation. If you major in the humanities, you are well rounded. If you major in the sciences, you are good at science.

Major in math. If you look at the AMCAS stats you will see we have the highest rate of acceptance out of any other major :) .

Yeah. Major choice is a no lose situation. If you major in the humanities, you are well rounded. If you major in the sciences, you are good at science.

That all depends on your school. At my school we have an extremely rediculous amount of liberal arts requirements that everyeone in A & S must take.

percentages can be miss leading is 10 history majors apply and 2 get in they have 20%. where as a 100 bio majors apply and 20 get in for 20%. More science people apply so it is harder for them to have a higher percentage.

Just major in whatever you will enjoy, though being good at science helps in medical school.

novawildcat said:
Major in math. If you look at the AMCAS stats you will see we have the highest rate of acceptance out of any other major :) .

That all depends on your school. At my school we have an extremely rediculous amount of liberal arts requirements that everyeone in A & S must take.

Likewise, any humanities major has to take a ridiculous amount of science to get into med school.

What I'm saying is that I can't think of a single major that would penalize you in any way, so I really think you can do what you like.