Med school with many scholarships... not getting one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know i'm going to get flamed hard for this.. but this is just how I am feeling.

Does this thought kind of suck for anyone else? Knowing that nearly half of my future classmates get some sort of scholarship but not getting kind of sucks.

And yes, i am grateful for the luck I have had... that doesn't mean we can't wish for more...

Loans have been scaring me a lot lately and I just hate the thought that I was not able to get a scholarship when so many others were...

Then again, SDN is not representative, but still.

Members don't see this ad.

lol i see where you are coming from... but sdn is not the place to vent about this

get ready to get hated on

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU...can't you just be grateful of your acceptance?!

JK, I understand...I'd feel the same way if I was in your boat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I've been expecting a lolcat to show up in this thread so intently that one has appeared in my very own post.

waahmbulance.jpg

Sorry man its called life...same thing happened in college too there were probably quite a few people with scholarships that you just didn't know about

yeah i know... but the good thing about college is that there are plenty of scholarships in between, including those that states give to every student with a particular gpa/sat cutoff

with med school, it just seems like all or nothing

Just want to make sure, you are basing this 50% on SDN members posting their scholarship information? Or did your school say they give 50% of people scholarships? If SDN members then it is probably completely wrong that 50% of students are getting scholarships. If the school said it then it is possible that when May 15th rolls around, people will decline acceptance and you will end up with some scholarship money in the end. (At least this is what my school told me on interview day).

I'm sorry, but you were out competed by your peers... I'm just kidding... but I'm really not.

Just want to make sure, you are basing this 50% on SDN members posting their scholarship information? Or did your school say they give 50% of people scholarships? If SDN members then it is probably completely wrong that 50% of students are getting scholarships. If the school said it then it is possible that when May 15th rolls around, people will decline acceptance and you will end up with some scholarship money in the end. (At least this is what my school told me on interview day).

i mean i was feeling like crap earlier today so i definitely exaggerated. its more like 1/4 according to the school.

and i know i was outcompeted, obviously lol. just kind of sucks... since i thought i had done so well.

if i didn't even put up a fight, thats one thing, but doing as well as i could and it still not being good enough just sucks

i guess maybe some people (optimists) would look at this the other way

i mean i was feeling like crap earlier today so i definitely exaggerated. its more like 1/4 according to the school.

and i know i was outcompeted, obviously lol. just kind of sucks... since i thought i had done so well.

if i didn't even put up a fight, thats one thing, but doing as well as i could and it still not being good enough just sucks

i guess maybe some people (optimists) would look at this the other way
You will feel the above many many times in medical school. Honestly, one of the best things to do to prepare for medical school is coming to terms with the fact that you won't always be the best in your class.

(You is not specific to you, just in general to everyone)

yeah thats true.. i just need to get it through my head that so many other students take out loans and are still as happy/successful as everyone else.

its just that i had this glamorous idea in my head where i wouldn't have to take out any and then since i wouldn't be in debt i would be able to do focus a lot more on the various international opportunities i have been interested in, like doctors without borders.

can't always win in life though

im actually in a very similar boat. talking about vanderbilt?

If you would like, you can withdraw your acceptance. You could then reapply next cycle like so many other applicants.

Edit:
There are also also special scholarships and loan forgiveness programs through the armed services and by practicing primary care in underserved areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you would like, you can withdraw your acceptance. You could then reapply next cycle like so many other applicants.

Edit:
There are also also special scholarships and loan forgiveness programs through the armed services and by practicing primary care in underserved areas.

:confused:

I heard withdrawing acceptances because you didn't get a scholarship is a great idea?

Trying to point out that so many people did not get accepted this cycle, lamenting a lack of scholarship is like being disappointed about drinking tap water instead of bottled water.

Trying to point out that so many people did not get accepted this cycle, lamenting a lack of scholarship is like being disappointed about drinking tap water instead of bottled water.

:thumbup: I like the analogy

I'm in the same boat you are. However, I am used to it after being a high and collegiate athlete. A lot of pre-meds - I'm sure yourself included - are used to being the best and brightest whereve they are at, in every class. It is difficult to get used to the idea of not being the most outstanding performer around after you have been for so long. It is much like going from being a great high school athlete to just another collegiate athlete. Yeah I got a scholarship to run, but most kids on the team were getting more than me. I just used it as extra motivation to outperform them and prove the coaches wrong. It's just something you have to get used to in life. I'm sure you will, it just takes a little bit of time and introspective thought. I was dissapointed when I heard that people accepted to my school had recieved scholarships and I hadn't, but I got over it in like a day after I realized how impressed I was with myself for getting into school in the first place.

Just my $0.02

**** someone can't be mad that everyone else is drinking pina coladas while they're drinking tap water?

Why is it someone can complain about getting rejected at all their schools? Don't they realize there are people struggling to finish college? What about someone not getting enough loans to cover their tuition (probably happens more at undergrad). Don't they realize tons of people got rejected?

What's this double standard that prevents people with high academic achievements from being able to be disappointed at all? I'm not saying we can't expect them to have some perspective and humility, but gosh the guy can't feel bad that he's going to be paying tens of thousands of dollars more than he thought he would while his classmates will not?

**** someone can't be mad that everyone else is drinking pina coladas while they're drinking tap water?

Why is it someone can complain about getting rejected at all their schools? Don't they realize there are people struggling to finish college? What about someone not getting enough loans to cover their tuition (probably happens more at undergrad). Don't they realize tons of people got rejected?

What's this double standard that prevents people with high academic achievements from being able to be disappointed at all? I'm not saying we can't expect them to have some perspective and humility, but gosh the guy can't feel bad that he's going to be paying tens of thousands of dollars more than he thought he would while his classmates will not?

Interesting slope you're slippin on here. I think people believe complaining about the scholarship stuff on here is like a broker at Morgan Stanley complaning to an unemployed person that the brokers at Goldman Sachs got a 20% bigger bonus. Unless you are Charlie Sheen, someone will always have it better than you and unless you are on your last breath, someone will always have it worse than you. Save your b****ing for your momma.

I think people believe complaining about the scholarship stuff on here is like a broker at Morgan Stanley complaning to an unemployed person that the brokers at Goldman Sachs got a 20% bigger bonus.

Haha I think this is an awesome analogy except throw in that the broker really believes that he thinks that he really deserved that bonus just as much as the broker from Goldman.

The feelings are fine, but do they really need to be posted on SDN when so many applicants are still just waiting on acceptances? Guy's entitled to feel however he wants, but broadcasting it online is a bit much. Besides, being poor is part of the med school experience. Who doesn't love Ramen five nights a week?

The feelings are fine, but do they really need to be posted on SDN when so many applicants are still just waiting on acceptances? Guy's entitled to feel however he wants, but broadcasting it online is a bit much. Besides, being poor is part of the med school experience. Who doesn't love Ramen five nights a week?

It doesn't need to be posted here, but who doesn't want some support or someone to listen to his complaints from time to time when stuff goes wrong? SDN has never objected to the hundreds of other complaints about getting waitlisted or having to reapply. What about all the people on here with such terrible scores that will probably never get accepted? They could surely be offended by all the people complaining about having to do a Post-Bac or taking a year off to improve their app.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying but I think that everyone could be more considerate and not complain here as much as they do. However, if we're going to let some groups vent but other groups just need to be happy with whatever they got, it seems a little absurd.

Interesting slope you're slippin on here. I think people believe complaining about the scholarship stuff on here is like a broker at Morgan Stanley complaning to an unemployed person that the brokers at Goldman Sachs got a 20% bigger bonus. Unless you are Charlie Sheen, someone will always have it better than you and unless you are on your last breath, someone will always have it worse than you. Save your b****ing for your momma.

Right...let's actually evaluate this.

OP: I'm kinda disappointed that 25-50% of my classmates got scholarships while I will still have to pay ticket price.

Translation: I'm going to be paying tens of thousands of dollars more than my peers

SDN: Dude, you're so selfish and inconsiderate. Some people will never even be accepted!

Now, what exactly is this last statement supposed to mean? Are we telling the OP that because someone else is worse off, he should be happy with anything that happens so long as he is accepted? If that's so, I'm going to drop the starving children in Africa card and point out that none of us privileged Americans have a right to complain about anything.

SDN is a forum. It's not like an Investment Banker singling out a homeless guy and complaining at all. It's like an Investment Banker being in a bar and complaining in a place where many other Investment Bankers in the same situation will hear and see him while others may also be able to hear and see him.

So yeah, it'd be cool if the OP could suck it up and be grateful for what he has. But that's true for the vast majority of whining that takes place on these forums for various reasons that we've always entertained. Let's not let jealousy, competitiveness, or bitterness inhibit us from being able to empathize with a guy who is mad about having to pay a lot just because his life isn't in absolute shambles.

Now, what exactly is this last statement supposed to mean? Are we telling the OP that because someone else is worse off, he should be happy with anything that happens so long as he is accepted? If that's so, I'm going to drop the starving children in Africa card and point out that none of us privileged Americans have a right to complain about anything.

Actually yes. Something like 80% of the world makes $2.50 or less a day. One in six people does not have access to clean water. What percentage of the overall population receives a US medical school education? The very fact that we can walk over to most sinks and drink directly from the tap is amazing. Anytime we get down over stuff like this we should remember that we have been given SO much already.. even the basic necessities we have are things that so many will never experience.

Having witnessed firsthand the type of poverty that exists in many areas of Guatemala, I try to remind myself that ANYTHING that happens here is probably 10,000% better than living in the extreme poverty that most experience.

Edit:
Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day.
http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

Last edited:
Actually yes. Something like 80% of the world makes $2.50 or less a day. One in six people does not have access to clean water. What percentage of the overall population receives a US medical school education? The very fact that we can walk over to most sinks and drink directly from the tap is amazing. Anytime we get down over stuff like this we should remember that we have been given SO much already.. even the basic necessities we have are things that so many will never experience.

Having witnessed firsthand the type of poverty that exists in many areas of Guatemala, I try to remind myself that ANYTHING that happens here is probably 10,000% better than living in the extreme poverty that most experience.

Edit:
Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day.
http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

So how does this statement correlate with your complaints about not having updates on your admissions status at U of Miami? I guess even priviledged Americans complain sometimes...or perhaps your situation is the baseline above which complaints are not allowed.

So how does this statement correlate with your complaints about not having updates on your admissions status at U of Miami? I guess even priviledged Americans complain sometimes...or perhaps your situation is the baseline above which complaints are not allowed.

Bump of 1+ old month thread just to hate on a random post = winning.