Med schools see other applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drillr00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the med schools (MD or DO) you apply to can see the other schools you've applied to also.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if the med schools (MD or DO) you apply to can see the other schools you've applied to also.

I heard (and this may be entirely false) that they can't see that information until after May 15th, but other people around here and I have been asked by our interviewers where else we've applied.

No. Schools can't find out where else you applied unless you tell them (or if they ask a buddy on another school's adcom, but that's another story).

Applicants can hold multiple acceptances until May 15th. After that the schools that have accepted you can see if you hold acceptances to any other schools.

Edit: And technically they aren't supposed to ask where else you've applied in an interview, but it still happens. You can try to be coy or you can be more forthcoming with the interviewer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can get away with telling DO schools that you aren't considering an MD. ;)

Yes, you can get away with telling DO schools that you aren't considering an MD. ;)

My response to that is that my 2 state MD schools are on average $25k/year cheaper than any D.O. school (or a total savings of approximately $100k). They can't really argue with that.

I thought that once the school has accepted you, there is some point before May 15th that they can actually see which other schools you have been accepted at, and that this may play a role in deciding what kind of financial aid they give you. Is this wrong?

no that's right. Case Western told us that schools can see where students hold acceptances in early February.

MD and DO application services do not communicate with each other, so neither will know you're applying via the other application service.

I read on SDN that it is sometime in March that the list of your MD acceptances is available to other schools. It's correct that you can hold multiple acceptances until May 15, by paying a refundable deposit. After May 15, you can stay on any waitlist you are on, even if you hold an acceptance. If you are accepted off a waitlist by a school you prefer, you can drop the previous acceptance, but you will not get your $100 deposit back.

I don't know if DO school acceptance information is available to other DO schools or not.