Medical Assistant or Psychiatric Technician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeninsulaDude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
College Freshman here. I want to increase my clinical exposure and also possibly make some money at the same time. Is being a medical assistant, nursing assistant, scribe, or psychiatric technician worth it and/or helpful for med school apps?

My school has an opening for a nursing assistant position on campus right now. Is this a good thing to take advantage of or pursue? Is it bad that the job title has 'nursing' in it?

I am trying to build my application, personal profile, and extracurriculars around my concern and passion for helping and understanding the biological basis of those with mental illnesses. Is this a good plan? Would becoming a psychiatric technician be a good idea to fit in with this plan or storyline?

The medical assistant job/cert. would be nice because I can continue it back at home during the summer and find employment in various settings and locations. Is it possible to take this class/become certified during the school year? Could I find a way to make work in a behavioral health center with this certification?

Overall, what are your thoughts on these positions in terms of how adcoms view them and their value in clinical experience and worthwhileness. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

College Freshman here.

1) I want to increase my clinical exposure and also possibly make some money at the same time. Is being a medical assistant, nursing assistant, scribe, or psychiatric technician worth it and/or helpful for med school apps?

2) My school has an opening for a nursing assistant position on campus right now. Is this a good thing to take advantage of or pursue?
3) Is it bad that the job title has 'nursing' in it?

4) I am trying to build my application, personal profile, and extracurriculars around my concern and passion for helping and understanding the biological basis of those with mental illnesses. Is this a good plan? Would becoming a psychiatric technician be a good idea to fit in with this plan or storyline?

5) The medical assistant job/cert. would be nice because I can continue it back at home during the summer and find employment in various settings and locations. Is it possible to take this class/become certified during the school year? Could I find a way to make work in a behavioral health center with this certification?
1) Any of the above would be helpful to a med school application.

2) If you do not have a certification already, it's unlikely they will hold the position open until you have acquired one.

3) No.

4) You'll probably want to paint a picture of broader interests in medicine. It'a a mistake to suggest that you'll only be happy in a single specialty.

5) Your first priority to to earn a high GPA. I'd be concerned that you would dilute your attention to this primary focus by taking too many credits.