Medical College of Wisconsin class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another question for all you who have gone before... The draft of our daily schedule is littered (Tuesday afternoons and Friday mornings) with "Pathway Activities." What are pathway activities?
No idea. They didn't do that for my class. I think the class of 2012 might have done it, but I don't know a single one of them.

Members don't see this ad.

No idea. They didn't do that for my class. I think the class of 2012 might have done it, but I don't know a single one of them.

It sounds suspiciously like something designed to be helpful and educational, but gets in the way of learning all the stuff you need to actually do well in school.

Do we need to reserve in particular (give names) our white coat ceremony tickets somewhere or do we just receive 2 tickets sometime during orientation week??

Members don't see this ad :)
Guh. Hey all. If you're anything like me, the 30 or so pages of paperwork that you've filled out still don't outnumber the several dozen left to go. I discovered a few things that helped me through the e-qip form (the big daddy at the end of the VA/CBC forms in the orientation materials). It's filled out online.

• About halfway through, I figured out I could get a list of every address I've ever had Amazon send things to by going to Amazon and going to the 'manage my addresses' page. Helped for all my little college rooms.
  • If you're a guy, you need a selective service number toward the end. If you're like me, you probably haven't though about it since high school (be thankful you only have 108 hoops to jump through, ladies; they guys have 111). You can call up your selective service number at this site. You'll need your surname, birthdate, and SSN, which you've already entered on the form several dozen times...

That's it for now. I'm on to the medical forms tomorrow! So stay tuned for the next installment, titled: Screw It, I'm Not That Allergic to Penicillin, and It's One Less Form to Fill Out.

Guh. Hey all. If you're anything like me, the 30 or so pages of paperwork that you've filled out still don't outnumber the several dozen left to go. I discovered a few things that helped me through the e-qip form (the big daddy at the end of the VA/CBC forms in the orientation materials). It's filled out online.

Maybe the paperwork is intentionally excessive so that school feels like a slightly more relaxed demand for our time??

Hey all,

I look forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks! Here is a question for current/previous students. I was looking at our class schedule and saw that classes take place pretty much from 8ish to about 5. However, I know that a very small proportion of medical students habitually attend every class. I know Biochem and Anatomy are musts, but which classes--in your opinions--are skipable?

Peace out!

Maybe the paperwork is intentionally excessive so that school feels like a slightly more relaxed demand for our time??

:) Maybe. I actually had a dream where we got there on the first day and they tossed out all the paperwork. It was just a lesson about how paper records are inefficient and how we should strive to use straightforward electronic records whenever possible. Then we all had to enter our ATM pin numbers into a computer and we were set to go.

Just to be safe, I'm still doing the paperwork.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or experiences with a certain lender that would be helpful to incoming students? I'm trying to decide between Graduate Leverage and Discover -- I believe they are the only two that cannot sell your loans and offer some waivers on the fees.

Any input?

Anyone have any words of wisdom or experiences with a certain lender that would be helpful to incoming students? I'm trying to decide between Graduate Leverage and Discover -- I believe they are the only two that cannot sell your loans and offer some waivers on the fees.

Any input?

I dunno. I picked Discover because of random rumors and because it was slightly better than the other two I compared it to.

So far so good...

Hey all,

I look forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks! Here is a question for current/previous students. I was looking at our class schedule and saw that classes take place pretty much from 8ish to about 5. However, I know that a very small proportion of medical students habitually attend every class. I know Biochem and Anatomy are musts, but which classes--in your opinions--are skipable?

Peace out!
You'll figure it out. Go to all of the classes for a block, at least, and determine it from there. I didn't start skipping any biochem until late November, and honestly, it was because it was interfering with my study time. I studied like a machine for the biochem final, WHICH WAS CUMULATIVE, BACK IN MY DAY. It was incredibly difficult, and I studied from Thanksgiving until the final, which was like December 18th. Now you guys don't have a cumulative final.

Same here

Most of the lenders are more alike than not. I believe Access Group also does not sell your loans. I visited their websites and also called their customer service to ask a few questions and confirm some information and ended up choosing Graduate Leverage. I was going to choose Discover, just based on the comparison we can do online, but when I called them it was pretty tough to get to a live person and even when I tried to leave a voicemail, the mailbox was full. Grad Leverage and Access, on the other hand, were both easy to reach and had pretty good customer service thus far (I've talked to both of them twice). I don't know how much you'll actually need to talk to your lender on the phone throughout the lifetime of your loan, but this one of the few areas were there was some variability between the lenders. Discovery takes care of both the default and origination fees while Grad Leverage takes care of only the default (or the guarantor does).
That being said, there probably isn't a huge difference between them all. Grad Leverage has only been around for 6 or so years, Access for over 20, Discover I don't know but they're pretty well known so I assume longer than these two. Access is also a non-profit.

Hey all,

Peace out!

I skipped most devo and some anatomy (lecturer dependent). Don't worry too much about the 8-5 schedule. Labs usually ended a lot earlier than 5pm

Members don't see this ad :)
Pro tip for the incoming class: don't get carried away during orientation week. There might be a lot of drinking, and you might end up saying something somewhat stupid or doing something really really stupid.

Just saying. No, it's not personal experience, don't worry.

Oh nooooooooo. I MUST be in major trouble! I have been out of the country for a while and havnt filled out a single form save for the white coat size thingy which i did before i left (-:

Thankfully i get back tommorow so i will hopefully get on it!

• About halfway through, I figured out I could get a list of every address I've ever had Amazon send things to by going to Amazon and going to the 'manage my addresses' page. Helped for all my little college rooms.
  • If you're a guy, you need a selective service number toward the end. If you're like me, you probably haven't though about it since high school (be thankful you only have 108 hoops to jump through, ladies; they guys have 111). You can call up your selective service number at this site. You'll need your surname, birthdate, and SSN, which you've already entered on the form several dozen times...

That's it for now. I'm on to the medical forms tomorrow! So stay tuned for the next installment, titled: Screw It, I'm Not That Allergic to Penicillin, and It's One Less Form to Fill Out.

Nah. You're like two weeks away from major trouble. It's a big stack of papers, but it's not insurmountable. And the brass seem really good at reminders and the like. Because even if you got 95% of these myriad papers in on time, you'd still miss an appreciable amount without help.

And for the record, the medical forms are better than the VA, CBC, and financial aid forms. Mostly, you just have to check a lot of 'no' boxes and stay that you're okay with rats.

Do people that do most of their studying at school tend to carry around alot of stuff everyday to school (multiple textbooks, binders, notebooks, laptop, etc.)?

Just deciding between a couple of backpacks (2 OGIO and 1 North Face).

I have an Ogio Metro and I think it's good for stuffing full of stuff and is fine for putting almost nothing in it as well.

I have an Ogio Metro and I think it's good for stuffing full of stuff and is fine for putting almost nothing in it as well.

Ah, ic.

I was looking into an Ogio Politan, Ogio Epic, and North Face Surge. Leaning towards the Epic cause I plan on doing most of my studying at school, but that thing is HUGE and slightly heavy!

You will be assigned a locker, just like high school, so you'll have a place to stash some of your stuff during the day. And you will seldom refer to any textbooks except your Netter atlas, so your load may be lighter than you think. I'd carry a block's worth of the pre-printed Powerpoint notes at a time with me. Some people carried only the current week's worth. Add any text book or review book you want that day, and there's plenty of room for a cheap, tasty lunch.

argh, thought i saw this mentioned earlier in this thread, but can't find it.

Is a blood test necessary for rubeola, rubella, varicella, hep b and chest x-ray during the physical?

argh, thought i saw this mentioned earlier in this thread, but can't find it.

Is a blood test necessary for rubeola, rubella, varicella, hep b and chest x-ray during the physical?

I did not have a chest x-ray. If you have documented previous vaccination I don't think you need serum testing. At the end of 2nd year they test your blood and I had to get a third (I think it was actually my 4th) MMR booster. Such is life.

I did not have a chest x-ray. If you have documented previous vaccination I don't think you need serum testing. At the end of 2nd year they test your blood and I had to get a third (I think it was actually my 4th) MMR booster. Such is life.

I thought they tested you during CPR... that's when they tested us.

Do people that do most of their studying at school tend to carry around alot of stuff everyday to school (multiple textbooks, binders, notebooks, laptop, etc.)?

I left almost all of my stuff in my locker. I usually carried one binder with all of that block's notes, and maybe one or two review books. I didn't buy many textbooks (and those that I did, I sold on Half.com afterwards). I kept info from other blocks, review books, flashcards, a few textbooks, and Ramen noodles in my locker. I studied almost exclusively at school. I had an REI backpack, but I shed that when M3 started, because you feel like a kid going to kindergarten if you wear a backpack in the hospital.

I had to get an MMR and hep B booster. They checked my titers during RPM (which used to be CPR).

I had an REI backpack for a lot of M1 and M2 year. I kept junk in my locker. M3 year I got a Jansport backpack which I still take to the hospital every day.

Oh, you're right. That happend to be near the beginning of third year for me. Well, kind of near. September is exactly like July, right?

Oh, you're right. That happend to be near the beginning of third year for me. Well, kind of near. September is exactly like July, right?

riiiggghhhttt, exactly like it... but by september, I'll be done with 2 months of intern year! whoo hoo! (Not that I started a countdown after the first week or anything.)

Thanks for all the replies about backpacks!

Do you guys know of any furniture/mattress/bed places that do same day delivery?

Any recommendations for places to get a good bed/mattress?

Well my room mate ordered all her stuff from jcpenny who happens to have a ware house in wauwatosa and they delliver and build all your stuff for you!

Dont know about same day delivery tho. Goodluck!

Thanks for all the replies about backpacks!

Do you guys know of any furniture/mattress/bed places that do same day delivery?

Any recommendations for places to get a good bed/mattress?

My mattress was from Boston Store... they had a sale. It gets delivered tomorrow, but it's been a couple of days since we ordered it. I'm not sure if there's a same day option.

Halfway through writing this, I realized how useless this answer was. But now I've sunk like 50 seconds into writing it, so I'm just going to roll with it. Moving furniture and waiting places for mattresses is melting my brain...

Colders has a pretty good mattress selection and pricing (it's on Hwy 100 just south of I-94). The Steinhafels on 84th and Capitol is pretty good too.

For the Federal Background Check papers/forms, do we need to fill out all of the ones listed or just the ones that say "Complete"?

I'm a little confused as I find no reason for items to be on that list if we don't need to complete them, but at the same time, find no reason for them to write "complete" for only select forms if we need to complete all forms on that list.

Anyone know the answer?

For the Federal Background Check papers/forms, do we need to fill out all of the ones listed or just the ones that say "Complete"?

I'm a little confused as I find no reason for items to be on that list if we don't need to complete them, but at the same time, find no reason for them to write "complete" for only select forms if we need to complete all forms on that list.

Anyone know the answer?

Agreed - to some extent. When I called about a question to something they noted that I could just address it when I had my meeting with them during orientation. I think that they wrote complete after some just so they could write something. At the same time, there is the eQIP pamphlet that has nothing to complete.

Anyway, I assumed everything that I could fill out I should.

T minus 7 days till orientation... I am getting a little anxious :D

Agreed - to some extent. When I called about a question to something they noted that I could just address it when I had my meeting with them during orientation. I think that they wrote complete after some just so they could write something. At the same time, there is the eQIP pamphlet that has nothing to complete.

Anyway, I assumed everything that I could fill out I should.

T minus 7 days till orientation... I am getting a little anxious :D
T minus 6 months of rotations til M.D. I'm getting quite nervous.

T minus 6 months of rotations til M.D. I'm getting quite nervous.

6 months... I thought graduation was in May. Do you have some vacation built into the end of the school year?

The schedule says the white coat ceremony is going to be from 4pm-6pm on Friday. Are we really going to be there the whole two hours? If we are, would it be possible to leave before it's over? My dad has to be back home that Friday and the last flight out is 6.45pm.

The schedule says the white coat ceremony is going to be from 4pm-6pm on Friday. Are we really going to be there the whole two hours? If we are, would it be possible to leave before it's over? My dad has to be back home that Friday and the last flight out is 6.45pm.

2 of the most painful hours of my life.

Even one of the deans fell asleep on stage.

So i take it would be okay to leave before it's over, right?

I wouldn't go that far. They are pretty picky. If you tell them your situation they might give in after acting like it's the end of the world. It's such an overdone, overblown ceremony.

I wouldn't go that far. They are pretty picky. If you tell them your situation they might give in after acting like it's the end of the world. It's such an overdone, overblown ceremony.

I kind of liked it.

I agree. I will never forget that. I was so bitter that I was tired, should've been unpacking, and really wanted to be asleep, and one of the deans fell asleep on stage.

So i take it would be okay to leave before it's over, right?

You probably will not be able to leave, but your dad can.

I kind of liked it.

Ugh. It was worse than the worst path lecturers... and not the entertaining bad lectures, like Navy SEAL bad. Not "Stand Up, Carl," bad.

How do they feel about sneaking in Game Boy?

Thinking about Game Boy?

Thinking about Megan Fox?

If I'm not allowed to fantasize, this IS going to be a long two hours...

6 months... I thought graduation was in May. Do you have some vacation built into the end of the school year?
More like the middle. I've got November, December and January off. May doesn't have any clinicals either.

Super random question of the day: are there showers around the workout room? Oh man, death by paperwork and packing right now!

More like the middle. I've got November, December and January off. May doesn't have any clinicals either.

Nice. I am sure residency interviewing, etc fill that break pretty full, but it sounds great on paper.

Another random question: I know orientation week will require a modest level of dressing up, especially picture day (Tuesday I think). However, what is the "required/suggested" attire for Monday, and the rest of the week (aside from white coat ceremony - requiring a suit)?

I just fear pre-maturely stereotyping myself by showing up in a) a tux, or b) my AC/DC t-shirt, jean shorts and tiva sandals.

(Have I just stereotyped myself anyway??)

Nice. I am sure residency interviewing, etc fill that break pretty full, but it sounds great on paper.

Residency interviewing sucks. It drains you.

Another random question: I know orientation week will require a modest level of dressing up, especially picture day (Tuesday I think). However, what is the "required/suggested" attire for Monday, and the rest of the week (aside from white coat ceremony - requiring a suit)?

I just fear pre-maturely stereotyping myself by showing up in a) a tux, or b) my AC/DC t-shirt, jean shorts and tiva sandals.

(Have I just stereotyped myself anyway??)

Teva. Don't wear socks with Teva sandles. I think the first day I wore slacks and a polo to get the feel of how people were dressed. The rest of the time, I wore shorts and a t-shirt, with a nice thick jacket for Kerrigan auditorium because it was frigid in there.