Medical College of Wisconsin class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice find Raryn! I too held off on buying the scope. I get incredulous when the guy selling gloves keeps telling me that I need to buy gloves. Oh, and if gloves aren't your thing we have much more expensive things as well!

I used my stethoscope M1 year. Did they suddenly get rid of the mentor curriculum?

Members don't see this ad.

AT least in my year, you did need to buy your own gloves. I strongly recommend nitrile ones. Your hands will stink less. I definitely did wear old garage sale clothes (I had cleaned out my closet before moving for med school so I had to buy NEW old clothes at 50 cents a pop) and it was awesome. I was able to have several sets and could wash them a load at a time. I almost never had to pull a stinky unwashed anatomy shirt on over my head.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Littmann Classic II S.E. Stethoscope good enough for M1-M4?

I don't plan on going into Cardiology or anything, and even if I do change my mind later, spending money on another scope later wouldn't matter much to me.

AT least in my year, you did need to buy your own gloves. I strongly recommend nitrile ones. Your hands will stink less. I definitely did wear old garage sale clothes (I had cleaned out my closet before moving for med school so I had to buy NEW old clothes at 50 cents a pop) and it was awesome. I was able to have several sets and could wash them a load at a time. I almost never had to pull a stinky unwashed anatomy shirt on over my head.

I bought my gloves at Sam's Club, and I double gloved.

I use a Cardiology III because I liked it best, and I have no intention of doing cards/IM/peds. I'll just have to be able to hear breath sounds after this year. :D

Have fun in anatomy tomorrow guys. I know I will. I'm going to be there with a bunch of other M2s to get you through your first two dissections. :thumbup:

Have fun in anatomy tomorrow guys. I know I will. I'm going to be there with a bunch of other M2s to get you through your first two dissections. :thumbup:

My brachial plexus is tingling with excitement.

...I hope that's my brachial plexus...

Cool. I guess depending on which side you work on, I may get to see the badasshairday.

Nice find Raryn! I too held off on buying the scope. I get incredulous when the guy selling gloves keeps telling me that I need to buy gloves. Oh, and if gloves aren't your thing we have much more expensive things as well!
I bought two boxes of gloves just because they werent that expensive and I figure they'll come in handy? At worst, I'll share mine with labmates.

Edit: Nitrile of course. I've never liked latex gloves...

I use a Cardiology III because I liked it best, and I have no intention of doing cards/IM/peds. I'll just have to be able to hear breath sounds after this year. :D

:laugh: I like the wishful thinking Ashers, but you might want to take a listen to the heart once in a blue moon as well... (excerpted from this epic CRNA beatdown on the anesthesiology forum):

UTSouthwestern said:
...Fast forward five years later to this past April and I am reviewing an intraoperative death for a family whose 53 year old non-obese, non-diabetic, outdoor building contractor father/spouse with severe to critical, likely compensated aortic stenosis (undiagnosed) died during a routine lap chole. First time in the hospital, acute cholecystitis, routine type of patient. This patient was seen at a facility utilizing the ACT model and the CRNA's preop their own patients, then bring in the anesthesiologist to review their findings. Her report, clearly written on the preop sheet, states RRR no m/r/g. The ER physician's report clearly states under the CV examination "RRR 3/6 HSM, no r/g, no previous cardiac history, no family history of CV disease." Elevated LFT's, severe upper abdominal pain, US with stones, classic acute cholecystitis/cholelithiasis.

The patient is not having chest pain but feels short of breath and his HR has been fluctuating between 80-100. The surgeon is pressing to get going so the CRNA takes the patient into the OR after notifying the anesthesiologist who is starting a thoracic case in another room that this is a "routine lap chole, guy is hurting bad and needs to get going." Anesthesiologist tells her to wait 5 minutes and she'll meet her in the room then get going.

Anesthesiologist (confirmed by the CRNA in deposition): "As I walked into the room, my CRNA started the induction process. She gave 100 mcg of fentanyl followed by 200 mg of propofol and 160 mg of succinylcholine. She placed the endotracheal tube with some difficulty due to a large epiglottis after two tries with a MAC blade and the third with a Miller blade. At this time, we noted that the end tidal CO2 monitor showed 17, then 12 and the blood pressure cuff cycled several times with a "weak pulsation" reading. The HR was in the 150's then the EKG showed ventricular fibrillation and we began CPR and resuscitative efforts . . ." Obviously with a volume depleted patient having not eaten or taken in any kind of fluid for almost two days, now with no afterload as well, this situation was as hopeless as could be imagined. CPR with an outflow restriction to the degree he had also produced the expected result.

:laugh: I like the wishful thinking Ashers, but you might want to take a listen to the heart once in a blue moon as well... (excerpted from this epic CRNA beatdown on the anesthesiology forum):

Oh man. I knew I liked ortho for many reasons. 1 being that you don't need to carry around a stethoscope, unless you're my dad and do all your own pre-op H&Ps (including eye/ear/rectal exams) -- my dad surprised the ENT who did my surgery by telling him that he had his own opthalmoscope and otoscope that he used on all his patients in clinic for the pre-op H&P.

At least now I can hear murmurs on NICU babies!

(plus, I knew that'd get a post out of you, Gimlet) ;)

browsing through that thread, one of the things that's nice about an MD is that you never have to defend that it's "just as good as..." anything. I'm also glad that nurses aren't trying to be surgeons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone notice how on facebook about half the class has updated their status to include some combination of the words 'smell', 'cadaver', and 'ugh'?

It stands in great contrast to my non-medical friends, who have updated their stati with words like 'summer', 'booze', and 'Top Chef'.

Here's a tip for those of you in anatomy - your technique really doesn't matter. As long as you're dissecting the right organ, they don't really care what you do. Following a dissecting book is usually not very helpful. Netter is plenty. Also, be aggressive on one side, and if you cut something important, then you've still got the other side. Find the superficial veins on one side, and completely excavate the brachial plexus on the other, with all the deeper arteries and such. And don't bother much with a scalpel.

Oh man. I knew I liked ortho for many reasons. 1 being that you don't need to carry around a stethoscope, unless you're my dad and do all your own pre-op H&Ps (including eye/ear/rectal exams) -- my dad surprised the ENT who did my surgery by telling him that he had his own opthalmoscope and otoscope that he used on all his patients in clinic for the pre-op H&P.

At least now I can hear murmurs on NICU babies!

(plus, I knew that'd get a post out of you, Gimlet) ;)

That is very old-school and awesome of your dad to do...has he ever made any good catches on non-orthopedic pathology because of doing these? Now, if he manages his patients' diabetes while in they're in the hospital without getting an IM consult, then I would be extremely impressed! :D

That is very old-school and awesome of your dad to do...has he ever made any good catches on non-orthopedic pathology because of doing these? Now, if he manages his patients' diabetes while in they're in the hospital without getting an IM consult, then I would be extremely impressed! :D

He wasn't allowed to manage the internal med issues of his patients at kaiser on Maui, they had hospitalists, so the hospitalists did the DM/HTN.

He did find a pancoast tumor when a smoker came in with SOB after he had had an ulnar release and had symptoms come back.

Is Littmann Classic II S.E. Stethoscope good enough for M1-M4?

I don't plan on going into Cardiology or anything, and even if I do change my mind later, spending money on another scope later wouldn't matter much to me.

anyone know or have used Littmann Classic II ?

Yeah, it's just fine. I've got the classic II SE. I've never missed a murmur that I could hear with a better scope.

anyone know or have used Littmann Classic II ?

I use the Classic II because it's lighter and less expensive. I have a propensity to misplace my stethoscope, and since I've already lost one, I'm in no hurry to buy a Cardiology just to lose it. Speaking of which, it would be a very good idea to label your stethoscope (with name and phone #).

Unless you're skilled enough to identify valve regurgitation or other specific types of murmurs, you really shouldn't need a cardiology stethoscope.

I bought a GRX stethoscope (basically a Littman knockoff) as a spare and it's got pretty reasonable sound quality.

A disposable stethescope will work too. I haven't used my stethescope in 2 months. I think it is in my car though.

A Littman cardiology stethescope is no more for cardiologists than a Ford Taurus is actually a mythical bull-like animal. Cardiologists just have better ears.

So, I was wandering around the cadaver lab the other day (it helps to take a walk if you just got 'cadaver squirted' from something that collects juice if you jab a probe into the quadrangular space). Anyway, I found myself in the inner lab. This is a magical place. For one, the air smells way better, and there are several human fetuses (and one alien, hidden in plain sight) in cases on the wall.

There's a bunch of transverse sections in here, and apparently they are testable material. Looking at the old answer key, there also seem to be testable x-ray images. And there's a lot of buzz about osteology being testable. Of course, the vast majority seems like it's going to come off the bodies...

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom on dividing time for studying? Is it worth actually taking time to look at films and sections, or is this the kind of stuff that can be reasoned out from the dissection proper?

So, I was wandering around the cadaver lab the other day (it helps to take a walk if you just got 'cadaver squirted' from something that collects juice if you jab a probe into the quadrangular space). Anyway, I found myself in the inner lab. This is a magical place. For one, the air smells way better, and there are several human fetuses (and one alien, hidden in plain sight) in cases on the wall.

There's a bunch of transverse sections in here, and apparently they are testable material. Looking at the old answer key, there also seem to be testable x-ray images. And there's a lot of buzz about osteology being testable. Of course, the vast majority seems like it's going to come off the bodies...

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom on dividing time for studying? Is it worth actually taking time to look at films and sections, or is this the kind of stuff that can be reasoned out from the dissection proper?

I usually spent an hour the day or two before the practical exam studying the cross sections and stuff.

But then, I'm not a very good doctor.

I usually spent an hour the day or two before the practical exam studying the cross sections and stuff.

But then, I'm not a very good doctor.

I, of course, am a good doctor, and I not only studied the transections, I transect my patients because I know that anatomy better.

There used to be labeled transections photos available. Study those.

And yes, also look at the x-rays. You'll get a few points that way.

I, of course, am a good doctor, and I not only studied the transections, I transect my patients because I know that anatomy better.

There used to be labeled transections photos available. Study those.

And yes, also look at the x-rays. You'll get a few points that way.

I virtually transect my patients all the time in the ED. There's going to be a TON of thyroid and other cancers thanks to me happily dishes out the CT scanner radiation, but hey, maybe, just MAYBE that 23 year old with the migraine could have a huge bleed. That's why I follow up every CT with an LP, just to be sure.

I virtually transect my patients all the time in the ED. There's going to be a TON of thyroid and other cancers thanks to me happily dishes out the CT scanner radiation, but hey, maybe, just MAYBE that 23 year old with the migraine could have a huge bleed. That's why I follow up every CT with an LP, just to be sure.

Why do virtual when you can do it in real life!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNsGGTt9CTs&feature=PlayList&p=F68069547455AA04&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=60[/YOUTUBE]

Why do virtual when you can do it in real life!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNsGGTt9CTs&feature=PlayList&p=F68069547455AA04&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=60[/YOUTUBE]

I guess it WOULD be a more sensitive way to detect for a head bleed.

Who do you think would win in a 'Top Chef' style dissection contest (speed and precision in cuts): "Carvin" Marvin Wagner, Schellpfeffer, Bolender, or Krippendorf?

Personally, my money is on Dr. Krippendorf. She's got the awesome 'pointy hook tweezer' and she seems to be able to get through about an hour of group dissection work in 40 seconds.

Mattabet, I was just at Red Lobster, and when I was leaving I stopped to look at the lobsters, and one was taken out because "its time had come" as the hostess said.

Your avatar reminded me of that. I don't see how people can eat lobster.

I think I'd give it to Bolender... he dissected our hand (better than we had done on the other hand) in about 7 minutes (we had taken about 45 minutes).

In his younger days, I'd give it to Wagner hands down...at least anything abdominal -- he's the only one who has actually worked as a surgeon.

Mattabet, I was just at Red Lobster, and when I was leaving I stopped to look at the lobsters, and one was taken out because "its time had come" as the hostess said.

Your avatar reminded me of that. I don't see how people can eat lobster.

I can't eat them because they look like giant insects and I'm a little afraid of them.

But I feel you. The grocery store by my old house had a lobster tank and I thought they were there to be pets until I was like 6. Sad day.

I can't eat them because they look like giant insects and I'm a little afraid of them.

But I feel you. The grocery store by my old house had a lobster tank and I thought they were there to be pets until I was like 6. Sad day.

I remember thinking that too. They are giant insects... well sorta. I've thought of shrimp as the "cockroaches of the sea" since 9th grade biology.

Yeah... I'd put shrimp before lobsters as cockroaches... they're smaller. It also doesn't help that the few times I've been forced to eat lobster I find it disgusting. I'm the only one in my family who doesn't like lobster or crab. The only arthopods I'll eat because I never see their faces despite the fact I know they're bottom feeders. I can't eat fish with faces (like I got in Spain). The main bottom feeder that EVERYONE seems to eat here, and I find absolutely disgusting to think about eating, is tilapia. That lives in nasty canals in Hawaii and is a bait fish.

Yeah, I've got definite opinions on seafood/fish.

Any thoughts on the WI staple, beer battered cod?? I couldn't live without it!

I've had it once here, and it wasn't serve with malt vinegar. I could probably go the rest of the time without going to a fishfry. I'll get my fish when I go to CA, AZ (close enough to ocean for fish tacos) or HI. I'm kinda afraid of fish when we're not near the ocean, and I don't really like freshwater fish that much.

In general, I love fish and chips (minus the chips) with loads of salt and vinegar, but the 1 fish fry I went to had lots of other stuff and no vinegar. =(

Best fish and chips is a small Chippy up in Dunoon, Scotland. London's are really generic, so I just get Fish'n'Chips when I'm in Scotland (not that often). Oh yeah, and this Chippy has amazing fried pizza, and they'll do fried mars bars (first and last time I had those was in 1999).

Have any of you managed to figure out a working SMTP server for our email? I managed to set up gmail to send it through their servers, but sending it through MCW servers would be preferable. So far I've managed to find references to (and tried) smtp.mcw.edu and mail.hpi.mcw.edu . Haven't been able to log in through either of those...

while on campus? I can't remember. If you're at home, I use my ISP's SMTP server, which is smtp-server.wi.rr.com

And I wish that Jean Sunby's e-mails didn't come from Mike Schwabenlander, because you can't block his e-mails, but I'd block hers in a heartbeat. I DON'T CARE IF YOUR OFFICE IS CLOSED. I don't e-mail you when I'm busy.

studying sucks

Haha - I must be doing it wrong, I'm having a blast...

Wait, its 9:15 on Friday night and my study break is checking an online nerd forum. You are right, it sucks.

Haha - I must be doing it wrong, I'm having a blast...

Wait, its 9:15 on Friday night and my study break is checking an online nerd forum. You are right, it sucks.
It gets better. In just 2-3 short years, you'll be spending your Friday nights at the VA, admitting everyone! Last night was the best proof I've had thus far that a full moon is a frightening thing. We usually start taking admissions at 3pm. We capped (10 admissions) at 3:05pm.

It gets better. In just 2-3 short years, you'll be spending your Friday nights at the VA, admitting everyone! Last night was the best proof I've had thus far that a full moon is a frightening thing. We usually start taking admissions at 3pm. We capped (10 admissions) at 3:05pm.

This seems like it might be fun if they let you use a big rubber stamp and put 'ADMIT' on people's foreheads... But I'm guessing they probably don't do it that way.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to leave the nerd forum and go do some 'Moore' studying.

Get it? It's a pun!

So tired... is it next Wednesday yet?