Medical College of Wisconsin Facilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiki23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed at MCOW but was pretty disappointed with the facilities. The majority of the building (classrooms) seemed rather old (exception was the library). Can someone explain why so many people say that the facilities are really nice? Did I miss something on the tour?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what they showed you. The auditorium for the M1's is ugly, but the M1's love it because of the writing space. There's new construction on the north side of the building. The labs look a little old, but the patient simulation labs (I think they call it Star?) are really nice. The research park on the other side of the freeway is fairly new, as far as I understand, but we didn't get to see that :).

Trust me, the facilities are perfectly adequate or better for our needs. And the ugly looking M1 lecture hall is probably 1000 times better than the newer, prettier, more uncomfortable one us M2s are using. Oh, as for the labs, they are also pretty decent for the time you'll be spending in them. They also make great study rooms since the dividers are basically giant whiteboards (Bring your own markers). There are also ample other places to get quiet studying done outside of the library, including the "nerd rooms" and various conferences rooms you can "rent" (for free) after 4pm when the offices aren't using them. I was a little disappointed by the "old" look of the labs when I interviewed as well, but honestly they're one of my favorite places to study. Plus you got wireless internet throughout the whole building...I've yet to find a spot where I don't have a good signal (cell phone signal is a different story).

If you have more specific questions you can PM me, as by tomorrow I will have forgotten I posted in this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
those old classrooms you saw are rarely used. We've used them twice for case-based discussions. The M1 auditorium is 30 years old, but I like it just fine (all the M2s complain about not having it any more). Everything east of our auditorium is only 8 years old, and they've got an enormous biomedical research facility nearing completion right outside the cafeteria. Also, you didn't get to tour the hospitals, which are very nice hospitals (relative to some I've been to, trust me). And you won't be nearly as disappointed by the appearance of the anatomy lab when you realize how much worse the smell is. :smuggrin: but that's everywhere.

And you won't be nearly as disappointed by the appearance of the anatomy lab when you realize how much worse the smell is. :smuggrin: but that's everywhere.

Seriously. Everywhere but New York Medical College I guess.

ahahhah. I just realized your avatar is a guy in a gas mask. I thought it was the alien creature from star wars (the clumsy underwater swimming one).:laugh:

yeah. that's me. with an otoscope.

Seriously. Everywhere but New York Medical College I guess.

that anatomy lab is a chapel....wow....they knew what they were doing when they set that place up. and the ventilation is really good!