2023-2024 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who’re wondering, someone I know got an IS II today around 1PM CST. So I’m assuming they’re still sending II

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone already interviewed for the HESP can share their experience and provide some insights into the program? Feel free to DM me.

Thank you for the clarification, this makes sense and I agree with your point!
Just to add some clarification…M1s fill out a survey in the first month of school that basically just asks you to rank specialties based on your current interest level (eg. high interest, neutral, low interest) and then how far you would be willing to travel (because contrary to what that other user said, some students ARE assigned at remote sites outside of Froedtert/Children’s).

Ultimately I’m pretty sure this survey is what they use to determine placements for clinical sites. I’m not sure if it’s then just luck of the draw in terms of what clinical placement you get? Obviously if 50 students put ‘surgery’ as their top choice, they may not have 50 surgery providers to accommodate all of the students, so some students get placed in their second or third choice. I was lucky enough to get my first choice, so I can’t complain. But yeah you’re with that specific speciality/physician(s) the entire first year.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who’re wondering, someone I know got an IS II today around 1PM CST. So I’m assuming they’re still sending II
do you know when is his/her ii date? Just wanna know what is MCW's last interview date.

Reactions: 2 users
I sent them an update email and they let me know that they are interviewing "through March".

Reactions: 1 users
Have there been any pre-ii Rs recently? Trying to see if there’s any hope for an interview at this point lol

Just received IS II invite for tomorrow (3/1). Secondary completed 11/30.

Reactions: 3 users
OOS II invite for tomorrow (3/1), Complete July, no update sent

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add some clarification…M1s fill out a survey in the first month of school that basically just asks you to rank specialties based on your current interest level (eg. high interest, neutral, low interest) and then how far you would be willing to travel (because contrary to what that other user said, some students ARE assigned at remote sites outside of Froedtert/Children’s).

Ultimately I’m pretty sure this survey is what they use to determine placements for clinical sites. I’m not sure if it’s then just luck of the draw in terms of what clinical placement you get? Obviously if 50 students put ‘surgery’ as their top choice, they may not have 50 surgery providers to accommodate all of the students, so some students get placed in their second or third choice. I was lucky enough to get my first choice, so I can’t complain. But yeah you’re with that specific speciality/physician(s) the entire first year.
Thank you for sharing, this is very helpful to know!

Did either of you submit updates or a letter of interest? Been complete since July and radio silence on my end.
General update sent around December, but no letter of interest. If you really would like to go here, a letter of interest/intent doesn’t hurt! Good luck!

Yeah... I neglected to mention this because virtually no one I've talked to has gotten what they put as their first choice. You might be the first one I've heard of. Not really sure if they used them at all pretty sure I got my last choice hahah

Reactions: 1 users
Do they take interest letters? How late do they interview too if anyone knows?

Are they still interviewing here ? I’m just waiting for my rejection

so anxious. i want to know if i'll get interview or not, this school is my top!

Hey y'all quick question, when it comes to choose your medical school tool from AMCAS - if I am planning on having MCW in my top 3 schools, but still on a waitlist for another that I am waiting to hear back - I can still submit it right?

I would like to (safely) keep my options open if that makes sense, without matriculating into one right now.

Also, the school I am a waitlist on will release their rankings in early May, is that too late?

Hey y'all quick question, when it comes to choose your medical school tool from AMCAS - if I am planning on having MCW in my top 3 schools, but still on a waitlist for another that I am waiting to hear back - I can still submit it right?

I would like to (safely) keep my options open if that makes sense, without matriculating into one right now.

Also, the school I am a waitlist on will release their rankings in early May, is that too late?
Not accepted to MCW but have another A and am also on a waitlist. I believe you can PTE and still hold a WL position elsewhere. You need to narrow down to three schools by mid April, one school by April 30th.

You only need to pull off the WL once you’ve selected CTE for a school. I believe MCW’s CTE deadline is 6/3, so you can stay on the WL til then. Most WL movement happens early May after people narrow down to 1 school, so you should be good!

Yeah... I neglected to mention this because virtually no one I've talked to has gotten what they put as their first choice. You might be the first one I've heard of. Not really sure if they used them at all pretty sure I got my last choice hahah
The only thing I can think of that may have factored in was the fact that I recall submitting that survey basically as soon as they sent it out. I think they gave us like 2 weeks to fill it out, but I recall just doing it right then and there in class when they first told us about it, simply because I knew I would've likely forgotten about it altogether if I didn't just get it done.

Ultimately, it's unlikely that they factored in WHEN a student submitted their survey when assigning spots, but it's either that or I just got lucky?

I'm sorry to hear that yall. Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

Haven’t seen any II since 2/29. Guessing they’re done sending II? Strange since they said they interview through March…

Pre-II R. Did anyone else get a sales pitch and a vague, somewhat offensive insinuation that you should find another career path tacked on at the end of their letter?

• Care
Pre-II R. Did anyone else get a sales pitch and a vague, somewhat offensive insinuation that you should find another career path tacked on at the end of their letter?
Can you send us what they said in the email?

When were you complete? I’m waiting for mine.

Can you send us what they said in the email?
"As you consider your next steps, we encourage you to explore other degree and certificate programs available to you at MCW. Our PharmD, PA, and MSA [master's of science in anesthesia] degree programs offer you the opportunity to be an integral part of an interdisciplinary care team, and our more than forty PhD, graduate, and certificate programs provide specialized education and training delivered by expert faculty that will comprehensively prepare you for a successful career." (This is verbatim except for the bracketed bit.)
When were you complete? I’m waiting for mine.
Mine was in at the end of August.

Last edited:
"As you consider your next steps, we encourage you to explore other degree and certificate programs available to you at MCW. Our PharmD, PA, and MSA [master's of science in anesthesia] degree programs offer you the opportunity to be an integral part of an interdisciplinary care team, and our more than forty PhD, graduate, and certificate programs provide specialized education and training delivered by expert faculty that will comprehensively prepare you for a successful career." (This is verbatim except for the bracketed bit.)

Mine was in at the end of August.
Oof, yes it sounds like they are pushing their other degree programs - which I do not like at all. A couple of years ago, they allowed people to get feedback on their application, and basically stated how many applicants they have, and how much of a hard decision it was.

Sorry to hear that they are doing this - esp. as someone who is thinking about attending this school.

Oof, yes it sounds like they are pushing their other degree programs - which I do not like at all. A couple of years ago, they allowed people to get feedback on their application, and basically stated how many applicants they have, and how much of a hard decision it was.

Sorry to hear that they are doing this - esp. as someone who is thinking about attending this school.
They still have a paragraph on getting feedback on your application from the Office of Admissions!

To be perfectly honest, if they had only mentioned the master's in medical physiology, I wouldn't be as bothered by it (though even that would push the boundary of decency). Nobody gets a PharmD, MSA, or PA with the intention of using it as an immediate steppingstone to medical school, though, and they didn't even bother to name the MMP in this email. That's the part that makes me question the intention of including that bit.

Last edited:
  • Sad