2023-2024 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Medical College of Wisconsin Secondary Prompts

1. Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community. (1000 characters)

2. How will MCW uniquely prepare you for your future goals? (1000 characters)

3. Recount a time when you made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? (2000 characters)

4. The Medical College of Wisconsin is committed to educating health professionals who are dedicated to improving health equity across the diverse populations we serve. Share with us what you have learned or how you have grown through working with or serving people from cultural backgrounds or groups different than your own. How do you believe you can contribute to improving health equity or reducing health disparities as a physician? (2000 characters)

There are also additional demographic checkboxes:

I identify as part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, or asexual (LGBTQIA) community.
I am the first person in my immediate family to attend college (excluding siblings).
I was born or grew up in a rural community.
I am a military veteran (including active duty and those transitioning to civilian life).
I come from an economically disadvantaged background.
I attended an underperforming elementary, middle, or high school.
My primary language is NOT English.
I have overcome a significant hardship.

If you choose one or multiple, you have 2000 characters to elaborate.

5. We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic may have disrupted academic, extracurricular, and personal activities that could affect your application and/or your application preparation. Do you have additional information you'd like to provide? (y/n) (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you post the prompts?
They are the same as last year (thank god):
1. Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community. (1000 characters)

3. Recount a time when you made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? (2000 characters)

4. The Medical College of Wisconsin is committed to educating health professionals who are dedicated to improving health equity across the diverse populations we serve. Share with us what you have learned or how you have grown through working with or serving people from cultural backgrounds or groups different than your own. How do you believe you can contribute to improving health equity or reducing health disparities as a physician? (2000 characters)

@chilly_md

Reactions: 3 users
They are the same as last year (thank god):

@chilly_md
thanks!

Does MCW have a preference towards students from Milwaukee, especially if you have done volunteer work through Froedtert and worked at MCW? Low stats: 504 MCAT, 3.5 uGPA and 3.96 grad GPA but strong ECs
I had about the same stats and I'm OOS. I received a secondary this evening @10:24pm.

Reactions: 1 user
does it say CASPER "not recieved" for anyone else? Mine was sent quite a few days back so I was wondering if they have to manually enter it into their system

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does it say CASPER "not recieved" for anyone else? Mine was sent quite a few days back so I was wondering if they have to manually enter it into their system
Same, I am going through old threads and it seems that it takes time to show up as received. However, I'll wait and see if others are already marked as received, and will probably reach out to them if so. Otherwise, seems like a common thing for MCW every year.

I submitted last night and it said not received, checked just now and it says received. Didn't do anything special.

Does anyone know their definition of 'primary language'? My first language was not English but obviously I speak English every day through work, school, and friends. I still speak my first language at home and am fluent in both.
Is this part of an additional secondary question?

there's a list of boxes you can check:
I believe the purpose of it is to help give context for things such as the CARS score on the MCAT. It is up to you if you want to mark yes. Applicants who learned English at a young age as opposed to more recently likely will just consider English as their first language as well even if it technically is not.

Anyone have their CASPER marked as received?
Still waiting for it to update, haven't heard any response via email yet!

Anyone have their CASPER marked as received?
Still waiting for it to update, haven't heard any response via email yet!
Mine was received the next day after submitting it, also contacted the admin office and they said they had it even when it was still marked as not received

what are people writing for "recount a time you made a decision you regret." i honestly have no idea

what are people writing for "recount a time you made a decision you regret." i honestly have no idea

So you never regretted any decision in your life? Such as focusing more on school over family. Dismissing patients, peers, family members, or coworkers concern which turned out to be an issue. Helping out a friend in need.

Does anyone know if MCW screen for casper scores? How heavily is it weighted?

anyone have any thoughts on what theyre looking for for the "regret" question? is it ok to talk about something personal?

anyone have any thoughts on what theyre looking for for the "regret" question? is it ok to talk about something personal?
I feel like that would be fine! Perhaps don't get too heavy on details, depending on the severity. As long as you show that you've learned from the experience and had personal growth, then you're good!

Does anyone not have a secondary yet? It's the only school that I don't have.

there's also a COVID-19 question under the background and identity checkboxes

We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic may have disrupted academic, extracurricular, and personal activities that could affect your application and/or your application preparation. Do you have additional information you'd like to provide? (y/n) (2000 characters)

there's also a COVID-19 question under the background and identity checkboxes

We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic may have disrupted academic, extracurricular, and personal activities that could affect your application and/or your application preparation. Do you have additional information you'd like to provide? (y/n) (2000 characters)
@chilly_md Can confirm, If you want to update the questions

1st year student at MCW, just wanted to chime in and share some reassurance as you navigate the application process!

My MCW app was complete in early August, but I didn't receive my secondary until mid-March. I actually interviewed on one of the last interview days they were offering. So if you have already submitted your secondary and are wondering when you might get an II, unfortunately it could be anytime between now and next March. But don't lose hope if it doesn't come right away!

Also, Casper scores really don't mean anything...several of my classmates said they scored in the 1st quartile, so clearly that's not weighed too heavily (or at all)

Reactions: 9 users
I am confused of how many letters can be submitted. 2 letter from academic sources (1 instructed you in a science course). Does the other need need to be a professor as well?
plus 3 optional letters, which makes up to 5 letters total?

I am confused of how many letters can be submitted. 2 letter from academic sources (1 instructed you in a science course). Does the other need need to be a professor as well?
plus 3 optional letters, which makes up to 5 letters total?
Yeah, it is 2 from classroom professors which are required and then up to three optional letters so in total, you can submit up to 5 letters! The two letters that are required have to be from classroom professors but the optional three do not have to be!

IS II received. Complete 7/12. So amped rn😭😭

Reactions: 9 users