medical license in IL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question that perhaps you all may be able to answer. I've tried calling the IL state licensure dept. and of course, as good gov't agencies are, they never pick up.

On the application that is on their web site, it says 12 months of postgraduate training are necessary for licensure. It's weird because through IL you have to be PGY2 to take step 3, but of course we can take this exam in other states and get results as PGY1.

Yet, there is this knowledge or "myth" that you have to finish 2 years of residency to be granted a license. From the application it seems this is untrue. Might this be changed? I ask because I have a year after doing a PGY1 and in the interim I'd like to work in some capacity as a physician before starting my career field/residency next year.

thanks in advance,

G

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question that perhaps you all may be able to answer. I've tried calling the IL state licensure dept. and of course, as good gov't agencies are, they never pick up.

On the application that is on their web site, it says 12 months of postgraduate training are necessary for licensure. It's weird because through IL you have to be PGY2 to take step 3, but of course we can take this exam in other states and get results as PGY1.

Yet, there is this knowledge or "myth" that you have to finish 2 years of residency to be granted a license. From the application it seems this is untrue. Might this be changed? I ask because I have a year after doing a PGY1 and in the interim I'd like to work in some capacity as a physician before starting my career field/residency next year.

thanks in advance,

G

IL by far is the worst state to try and get a license in. Their rules are so conflicting.

You can take step 3 without even residency.. many states allow this.. all you have to do is graduate from medical school. Once you do that.. follow the rules of IL for licensing and ignore the requirement of step 3 cause it doesnt affect you anymore... you passed it.

If you are looking for states to sponser your step 3 without even a residency requirement.. then go check the list on step 3 website.. I believe Delaware is one of the four with no residency requirement. California is another maybe? (Unsure about this one).

You register for the exam with the sponsership of state A... take it in Prometric Center in state B .... and apply for a license in state C. A, B, and C dont have to be the same states.

You are right to conflict about IL license. As you can see here, they want 2 years. Call them again until you get a human to answer.

That review on the federation of state medical boards is just that ... a review. It's hardly official. What's so bad about trying to get a license in IL? It costs more, methinks ...

Did you ever have a year off and get a license like I'm trying to do, in order to work in the medical field? Any ideas on jobs?

Gshoe

The answer is that you can sit after 12 months, and apply and get the license in IL provided that you have passed step 3. So it is definitely 1 year, not 2. I'm wondering what kind of easy jobs that require a licensed physician I can get? I don't want anything too intense ... I've only had 1 year of training. Cheers,

G