Medical(MD) vs. Dental School

Started by th1nk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Eh...I've just learned from personal experience that the majority of happiness in life comes from strong social relationships and not from work, although work may contribute. Many people approach life with the idea that "If I don't become an MD/DO then I will never be happy." That's simply not true.

I actually know of a few dentists who went into dental school because they couldn't get into med school...and they've actually said that they're more satisfied with their decision than they thought they would've been.

That's different. You could easily find job satisfaction in other forms. However if you don't have a strong foundation for choosing the career you are then you're inevitably setting yourself up for a long and difficult life. Strong social relationships are also important, but that doesn't under emphasize the importance of having a career in which you're satisfied. They are both extremely important.
 
That's different. You could easily find job satisfaction in other forms. However if you don't have a strong foundation for choosing the career you are then you're inevitably setting yourself up for a long and difficult life. Strong social relationships are also important, but that doesn't under emphasize the importance of having a career in which you're satisfied. They are both extremely important.

ok...i agree with that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
work to live and not live to work is what they say. but then again if you work a job you love, you never work a day in your life right. to each his own i guess..gl
 
Someone a few years back did their due diligence and looked at the AMA and ADA salary surveys from 2003 and calculated the hourly wages. You'll find Derm nestled snugly below 6 dental specialties and slightly above general dentistry:

Salary/Hours
1. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon 336/36 = $179.5/hr
2. Endodontist 303.9/36 = $162.4/hr
3. Pediatric Dentist 294.4/36 = $157.1/hr
4. Orthodontist 279.4/36 = $149.0/hr
5. Orthopedic Surgeon 335.8/54.1 = $119.4/hr

6. Periodontist 216.4/36 = $115.4/hr
7. Pathologist 246.5/41.6 = $114.0/hr
8. Rad (Diag)/Rad Onc 327.7/58.5 = $107.7/hr
9. Prosthodontist 190.9/36 = $102.0/hr
10. Opthalomologist 229.2/43.7 = $100.9/hr


http://www.ada.org/ada/prod/survey/p...rts.asp#income
Survey of Dental Practice. c. 2003 Edition, American Dental Association

http://medicine.wustl.edu/~residenc...pec/byspec.html
Physician Socioeconomic Statistics. c. 2003 Edition, American Medical Association

While that is the per hour amount, is that straight income or just how much they make per hour before overhead is included? Overhead makes a huge difference. It also seems odd that general surgeons were above anesthesiologists if it is on a per hour basis since nearly every anesthesiologist makes the same or more than general surgeons and usually doesn't have the office overhead.
 
Oh not this again...

Not every doctor is a work-o-holic. It depends on your specialty and how much you want to work. The more you work, generally, the better you get compensated (for any given specialty).

I totally agree on this. Doctors can make bank and don't have to work their asses off. Obviously they have to put in a fair amount of work, but honestly given the fact that doctors don't have to run their own practices, like most dentists do, I think the stress level evens out.
 
While that is the per hour amount, is that straight income or just how much they make per hour before overhead is included? Overhead makes a huge difference. It also seems odd that general surgeons were above anesthesiologists if it is on a per hour basis since nearly every anesthesiologist makes the same or more than general surgeons and usually doesn't have the office overhead.

This is after overhead
 
Actually... I'd be interested to see how the responses compare between the two boards. A+ trolling, OP!

if your asking weather a similar discussion began (i.e dentists are just mechanics of the mouth, doctors are gods, doctors make more money than all, dentists are ewww doctors are wow, etc etc).....then the answer is yes
 
if your asking weather a similar discussion began (i.e dentists are just mechanics of the mouth, doctors are gods, doctors make more money than all, dentists are ewww doctors are wow, etc etc).....then the answer is yes

This post has more grammatical errors than I can handle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pre-meds (aka pre-gods) know their grammer while pre-dents can't even spell their names right

I know Grammer...you spelled his name right.
Kelsey-Grammer.jpg
 
:meanie: This thread was surprisingly hilarious!

You know I complain about trolls posting just to start a war but I gotta admit this battle was pretty entertaining. Best of all is the OP was actually genuine and the whole thing inadvertently still happened.

I always just knew I didn't want to be a dentist because the mouth didnt fascinate me like other parts of the body :eyebrow:.

Didn't factor in what profession was the sexiest :laugh:.
 
:meanie: This thread was surprisingly hilarious!

You know I complain about trolls posting just to start a war but I gotta admit this battle was pretty entertaining. Best of all is the OP was actually genuine and the whole thing inadvertently still happened.

I always just knew I didn't want to be a dentist because the mouth didnt fascinate me like other parts of the body :eyebrow:.

Didn't factor in what profession was the sexiest :laugh:.

I guess I need to go back and read this thread instead of posting randomly 3 pages in and then wondering why a pre-dent student got offended by my question...