Medical Mission Trip: More than one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They aren't comparable, because OP can donate money to build a well, but OP cannot repair cleft palates and lips, because OP is not a doctor.

I'm referring to established charitable organizations that run many such trips a year, all over the world. Lots of staff are needed. Not just surgeons, but scrub techs ( see above) anesthesiologists, nurses, translators, and people to do a lot of the support work: paperwork, keeping track of supplies, etc. Just as in a hospital, there is far more support staff needed than physicians . There's plenty of work for un-trained staff, otherwise they wouldn't be brought along. Most will pay their own transportation and lodging costs.

So, the work is charitable, and needs to be done. As to which is more valuable, a well, or the cleft lip repairs, or cataract removal, that's debatable and probably unknowable.

I don't know. Perhaps it's the upper class boy scout upbringing talking here, but I've always had the opinion that if you have the ability you should be doing some volunteering in undergrad regardless of what your next step in life is going to be. Undergraduate campuses are so full of projects and opportunities that unless you're working your ass off to pay tuition there's kind of no excuse not to.

It's not like you're required to spend 100 hours being a useless candy-striper in an emergency room (as a lot of the pre-med board likes to claim is necessary). One of my projects I did with one of my orgs in undergrad involved doing renovation work for a nonprofit... it started with a weekend of destroying walls with sledgehammers. I wish I had the free time to do that kind of stuff now.

The cynic in me believes that all charity is ultimately selfish. The donor prefers the benefits they get from giving the money or time, in the form of virtue gained, public accolades, or conscience assuaged, to the utility of keeping the money. That's not to say that the recipients don't benefit, or that donors shouldn't give, but whether the reason is guilt, admission to med school, broadening one's horizons, or trying to get into heaven, it's all done for a reason.

Members don't see this ad.

The cynic in me believes that all charity is ultimately selfish. The donor prefers the benefits they get from giving the money or time, in the form of virtue gained, public accolades, or conscience assuaged, to the utility of keeping the money. That's not to say that the recipients don't benefit, or that donors shouldn't give, but whether the reason is guilt, admission to med school, broadening one's horizons, or trying to get into heaven, it's all done for a reason.
Yep. I'm of the mind that altruism is largely an illusion, myself. I don't find that to be cynical -- just realistic.