Medical School with Mandatory Lecture Attendance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoBreeze

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any medical schools with mandatory lecture attendance?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
this would automatically make me never apply to these schools.

me in class ----->:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

I considered this when applying to medical school. I did not apply to any schools with mandatory lecture attendance.

Do any of your schools have recordings of the lectures available for the students online?

Western University has pseudo-mandatory attendance via clicker questions, but once the questions are done people generally leave.

Also, just because your school doesn't have mandatory attendance when you apply doesn't mean they can't chance that policy after you start. Heck, Western completely re-did their delivery system (lecture to small group-large group style PBL) in mid-stream with no advanced warning. It's like a "Surprise, what you signed up for isn't what you're getting."

I am constantly appalled that so many medical schools around the world still adopt the policy of mandatory lecturing, and/or lecturing as the sole delivery of knowledge. It only benefits a few students...

Cluster B traits are rampant in medicine.

Does anyone know of any medical schools with mandatory lecture attendance?

Search function didn't get me too far. Word on the street is Mayo does. Can anyone confirm this or others?

This is correct. Mayo has required attendance. So does UC Irvine.

Not my school though. It's very nice. Very nice.

SUNY Upstate doesn't have a mandatory attendance policy for the most part. The only classes that are mandatory are our practice of medicine class (group discussions) and our MLC class (kind of like PBL). Additionally, lectures are online if you want to study from the comfort of your own home. :D

All LECOM lecture pathways. People complain about it, but it ain't that bad and if you don't like lecture they have 2 other pathways for you.

My medical school has mandatory lecture and I despise it. Luckily its only for the first year.

Lecture is about the most inefficient use of time I can imagine. You spend two hours in lecture on subjects you could cover by yourself in 3 minutes, and you spend 3 minutes in lecture on subjects you need to spend two hours on. Lecture is the worst possible technique to transfer information to the memory bank of a student. God help us. It blows my mind they haven't figured that out yet.

Do any of your schools have recordings of the lectures available for the students online?

My school records all lectures and posts them online within the day (or 2 if there's some technology issue)

They also post all of the lectures from the previous year (and I'd say 85-90% of a year's lectures are identical to those from a year ago) at any given time. Some people were days AHEAD of schedule in certain classes.

It's very nice and I completely avoided class (except a few mandatory ones for guest speakers) for the first 2 years of med school (not including the first 2 weeks of 1st year)