Medical Schools in Germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realtalk15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a German national and citizen. I have been living in North America for more than a decade now. I will be completing my freshman (first) year of undergraduate studies this May. Can you please provide me with all the information for applying to a medical school in Germany? Information such as my chances, the cost, if courses are taught in English or not etc etc. Any information will be much appreciated!

I would like to add that my German is very poor although I have a grasp of the basic grammatical structure. Of course this can change in the next few years... I believe I can revive my German.

Members don't see this ad.

In German med schools there is no med program in English; they are all in German. Also they demand an excellent GPA and a quality German, which is proved by a language test earlier to application.

Good side of the story is that they are deemed among quality schools, and the fees are ridiculously low. And one more thing: Germany is seeking MDs nowadays, but the pay off is not good, so that German doctors themselves are looking for jobs abroad.

Other than those, I dont know the details of the schools, since they are mostly in German.

I am a German national and citizen. I have been living in North America for more than a decade now. I will be completing my freshman (first) year of undergraduate studies this May. Can you please provide me with all the information for applying to a medical school in Germany? Information such as my chances, the cost, if courses are taught in English or not etc etc. Any information will be much appreciated!

I would like to add that my German is very poor although I have a grasp of the basic grammatical structure. Of course this can change in the next few years... I believe I can revive my German.

I agree with everything bidiboom said. If you only have an American high school diploma it is not enough to apply. I am not sure how many years of undergrad you need but I think one year is not enough. I had a Bachelors when I applied but I know it isn't the only option.

I loved studying in Germany and I thought the education was great and absolutely comparable to good US programs (I am currently a resident in the US). Just beware, if you want to return to the US it is not easy. It is possible to study in Germany and do a residency in the US but it requires a lot of planning, extra work and much higher USMLE scores (the US boards) than you would need otherwise.

I liked the German system and would have been happy to continue working there (I plan to return after residency) but Doctors have a very different lifestyle than here in the US. The pay is far less but they also have less (or no) debt from med school. The working conditions are more flexible but there is also less supervision during residency. Those are just a few examples of the differences.

Make sure you think about your long term goals when deciding to study in the US or Germany because it is not as easy to go back and forth as you might imagine. Even though, going through the hassle of getting licensed in both the EU and US has some great advantages!!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you guys pay to go to german medcal school if non EU ????(Housing, food, etc..?)

Can't tell you much about studying in Germany as an "exile" German, but what I can tell you is, you better check for universities like Heidelberg or Hannover which offer an american degree as well. These unis are more likely to have at least some English courses. Unfortunately Medicine is not tought completely in English.
You should be aware of the fact that many Professors are teaching in other countries too but they sometimes dislike teaching foreign students in germany.

Heidelberg Medical Faculty does not offer an "American" degree. All coursework is in German.