medical schools in Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

musicalMDorDO

So far Washington state only has one medical school(MD)- UWSOM. There are five state universities in the state, and the UW is the one that has the most post-grad opportunities. I go to one (Western Washington) that prides it self in "being devoted to undergradutes." I doub't medical school will be established ever.

Does anyone know anything about any future plans for another PUBLIC medical school in WA state?

I only heard of a new DO school coming "soon," but its private.

:mad: I wish lived in Texas. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

WA resident here- all I've heard (don't quote me on this) is they are trying to expand the university within the next several years to open more centers (for rotations, possibly first and second year classes) in Spokane, possibly (if they get permission from all the powers that be) someday opening a full campus there. Other than that... I'm in the same boat. :oops:

two things about WA that really suck

1. It rains too much
2. Only one medical school surrounded by states that have none.

Members don't see this ad :)
LampPost said:
WA resident here- all I've heard (don't quote me on this) is they are trying to expand the university within the next several years to open more centers (for rotations, possibly first and second year classes) in Spokane, possibly (if they get permission from all the powers that be) someday opening a full campus there. Other than that... I'm in the same boat. :oops:

If you look at the map that is linked to the UWSOM secondary, you can already do a lot of your clinical rotations in spokane but I also heard there may eventually be a free standing UWSOM in Spokane where people would spend all four years. Also there was talk about a DO school in yakima (private).

musicalMDorDO said:
two things about WA that really suck

1. It rains too much
2. Only one medical school surrounded by states that have none.

#2...totally true

#1.....true and false, i get kinda offended when people forget the other side of the mountains exist (thats where i live, on the east side), yes we don't have as many people, but no, it doesn't rain over here. the majority of washington is a desert....just thought i'd point that out

furthermore, gorgeous summers. i have been raised in seattle and i love it to pieces. once i started going to college on the east coast, i realized how much i took the water and greenery for granted.

I think the east side D.O. school is definately going to happen. Next year they are looking to admit the first class. But what are numbers like for an in state applicant? Harder than most other in-state situations, or better?

jillibean said:
If you look at the map that is linked to the UWSOM secondary, you can already do a lot of your clinical rotations in spokane but I also heard there may eventually be a free standing UWSOM in Spokane where people would spend all four years. Also there was talk about a DO school in yakima (private).

Sorry, poor wording... that's what I meant :rolleyes: As another "east-sider" even more rotations back here would be nice, esp. a full school... although I do love Seattle. But interesting about the DO, hadn't heard about that...

spospo said:
#1.....true and false, i get kinda offended when people forget the other side of the mountains exist (thats where i live, on the east side), yes we don't have as many people, but no, it doesn't rain over here. the majority of washington is a desert....just thought i'd point that out

I agree. :thumbup: And don't forget the northeast... which is pine forests (so it's green all year long...), lakes, and the off-shoots of the rockies. (and lots of snow, compared to seattle, etc) Very gorgeous :)

Either way, washington is beautiful just about everywhere :D

LampPost said:
I agree. :thumbup: And don't forget the northeast... which is pine forests (so it's green all year long...), lakes, and the off-shoots of the rockies. (and lots of snow, compared to seattle, etc) Very gorgeous :)

i know!!! i love my state. when i tell people where i am from i get a lot of "oh, so it rains there a lot?" or "so you are a suburb of seattle?" i then have to explain "no, think more idaho/montana side." i did spend the weekend in seattle and my oh my was it beautiful over there. good luck to all my fellow washingtonians!!! :luck:

LampPost said:

Have you ever been to Yakima and Wapato, etc?
:laugh:

jillibean said:

ouch for those in yakima. :laugh: yes, i've been, and no, not my favorite places (thus the shout-out to the northeast)... but personally i feel the same way about walla walla, moses lake, etc, yet i know a lot of people that love those locations. to each his own... :rolleyes:

spospo said:
i know!!! i love my state. when i tell people where i am from i get a lot of "oh, so it rains there a lot?" or "so you are a suburb of seattle?" i then have to explain "no, think more idaho/montana side." i did spend the weekend in seattle and my oh my was it beautiful over there. good luck to all my fellow washingtonians!!! :luck:

Right there with ya. I go to school back east, and it can be hard not only to explain I actually live hours east of Seattle, but that yes, (northern) Idaho is next to Washington. Eh, well, they don't know our geography, I don't know theirs.... :luck: g'luck to you as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
jillibean said:

I love WA!

Good luck to all of you state residents who actually get to apply to UW.

Ps... Wapato lake?

ClosetNerd said:
I love WA!

Good luck to all of you state residents who actually get to apply to UW.

Ps... Wapato lake?

Wapato lake? I don't know where that is. I meant wapato the town outside of yakima.

jillibean said:
Wapato lake? I don't know where that is. I meant wapato the town outside of yakima.

opps :oops:

spospo said:

Anyone from the Tri-Cities? I'm Hanford High Class of 01', sort of. I miss Washington a lot since I've been going to med school in Newark, NJ! :scared: (long story).

eastern WA bleh
western WA gorgeous

oh man, hold me back, hold me back.....just kidding. eastern wash is beautiful in a different way, same with central wa.

"pacific northwest university of health sciences" (college of osteopathic medicine)

that is supposed to be the new DO school opening up.

there is a link to it at http://www.woma.org

(PLEASE LET THERE BE AT LEAST ONE NEW MEDICAL SCHOOL IN OUR STATE!)

socal78 said:
eastern WA bleh
western WA gorgeous

Ever been to Kettle Falls? Ione? Curlew? Up by Midway (BC)? Small towns, I know (at least too small for me :rolleyes: ) but absolutely beautiful scenery, much more attractive than, say, Tacoma (in my opinion). But, I do love the Sound, and Bellingham... gorgeous...
:D sorry, just have to give my east side some love :love:

musicalMDorDO said:
"pacific northwest university of health sciences" (college of osteopathic medicine)

that is supposed to be the new DO school opening up.

there is a link to it at http://www.woma.org

(PLEASE LET THERE BE AT LEAST ONE NEW MEDICAL SCHOOL IN OUR STATE!)

Here is another website for them:
http://www.pnuhs.org/index.shtml
It looks like the campus isn't even built yet... I would be surprised if they are ready for students by fall 2008, but who knows.

jillibean said:
Here is another website for them:
http://www.pnuhs.org/index.shtml
It looks like the campus isn't even built yet... I would be surprised if they are ready for students by fall 2008, but who knows.

They hired a dean and should be breaking ground sometime soon.

First, grew up in Olympia - doesn't rain nearly as much as everyone makes out (thanks Sleepless in Seattle).
second - as a west sider I am attending CWU and love central washington. If you haven't been to wenatchee or leavenworth get there!!
third - much love to all my washington homies no matter the location.

peace

FizbanZymogen said:
First, grew up in Olympia - doesn't rain nearly as much as everyone makes out (thanks Sleepless in Seattle).
second - as a west sider I am attending CWU and love central washington. If you haven't been to wenatchee or leavenworth get there!!
third - much love to all my washington homies no matter the location.

peace

:thumbup: