2023-2024 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it would be good to contact the school to get more information regarding timeline. Most other schools are pretty quick with the secondary turnaround.
Nah - seeing as how no one got a secondary I don't think it's personal - they'll probably take a few weeks

I think I read in the previous year’s discussion thread they’re still dealing with pulling people off the WL and filling this fall’s class so that may be why it’s a little delayed?

When y’all log in to your secondary portal, does it say you’re missing your letters of recommendation even though you submitted those through AACOMAS?
How long after you submitted primary did you recieve seconday? Is your question related for Fall 2023 class or Fall 2024 class?

I think the original poster with the secondary meant to put it on the kcu page, they deleted it and Posted it there
Yes! Sorry. I didn’t even apply to this school and had never clicked on this thread before I saw what happened. Not sure why it put my post on here! My apologies

Reactions: 1 user
I think someone on Reddit got a secondary from MSU; however, unfortunately, I didn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think someone on Reddit got a secondary from MSU; however, unfortunately, I didn't.

I didn’t either. I’m IS and when I applied previously I got one like as soon as they opened. My stats are better now and not getting one as quickly doesn’t really make sense to me. I haven’t heard of anyone else that I know getting one though so I’m wondering if they’re part of a special program as an MSU student or something. I think they have some things like that for their undergrads.

I didn’t either. I’m IS and when I applied previously I got one like as soon as they opened. My stats are better now and not getting one as quickly doesn’t really make sense to me. I haven’t heard of anyone else that I know getting one though so I’m wondering if they’re part of a special program as an MSU student or something. I think they have some things like that for their undergrads.
I think they may still be filling in the Fall 2023 class and just have not got around to it yet.

Kinda different prompts from last year:
The MSUCOM curriculum stresses the importance of intrapersonal competencies, including personal responsibility and adaptability. Please tell us a time when you were faced with a challenge in these areas and how that challenge impacted your professional growth.
What does professionalism mean to you as a future physician?
You may provide additional information, not stated elsewhere, you feel may help the Admissions Committee gain a better understanding of your candidacy. This may include major life achievements or explanations of academic or non-academic discrepancies on your application. You may also include interests or work experiences.

also requires shadowing info in detail, what do you guys put in the description?

The MSUCOM curriculum stresses the importance of intrapersonal competencies, including personal responsibility and adaptability. Please tell us a time when you were faced with a challenge in these areas and how that challenge impacted your professional growth.
You may provide additional information, not stated elsewhere, you feel may help the Admissions Committee gain a better understanding of your candidacy. This may include major life achievements or explanations of academic or non-academic discrepancies on your application. You may also include interests or work experiences.

also requires shadowing info in detail, what do you guys put in the description?
I was confused because it says clinical experience but also asks for shadowing

Does it only let you list 2 experiences in the Clinical Experiences tab and if so should I just lump my shadowing into one entry?

I was confused because it says clinical experience but also asks for shadowing
Yes, I'm also confused. And are they meaning any clinical experiences? I haven't formally shadowed a DO but have worked with them in clinics (have only shadowed MDs). Should I list both my MD shadowing and DO work experiences?

Does it only let you list 2 experiences in the Clinical Experiences tab and if so should I just lump my shadowing into one entry?

I am confused too because it says "Do you have any osteopathic medical or shadowing experiences?" on top. And then says "Please list your Clinical Experience by clicking the 'Add' button." So do we only list DO experiences or all experiences that we listed on AACOMAS?

Just found out it only allows you to add 2 experiences, anyone have the same situation?
I am confused too because it says "Do you have any osteopathic medical or shadowing experiences?" on top. And then says "Please list your Clinical Experience by clicking the 'Add' button." So do we only list DO experiences or all experiences that we listed on AACOMAS?

Yeah, it only let me put 2 experiences. I’m just going with my two most DO related ones. I figure they’ll see the rest in my AACOMAS app?

Got secondary today as well OOS.

Does everybody get it or do they screen the apps?

Got secondary today as well OOS.

Does everybody get it or do they screen the apps?

From end of email:
“All candidates with a verified AACOMAS application applying to the MSUCOM DO program will receive an invitation to complete the supplemental application. Receipt of an invitation to complete the supplemental application does not guarantee applicant competitiveness nor guarantee admission.”

From end of email:
“All candidates with a verified AACOMAS application applying to the MSUCOM DO program will receive an invitation to complete the supplemental application. Receipt of an invitation to complete the supplemental application does not guarantee applicant competitiveness nor guarantee admission.”
Ah. Okay.

+1 OOS;
Yeah, it only let me put 2 experiences. I’m just going with my two most DO related ones. I figure they’ll see the rest in my AACOMAS app?

I emailed admissions and they said it was a bug and they are currently working to fix it so it doesn't max out! I am assuming they want a repeat of your DO clinical exposure from your experiences section with a few more words.

+1 OOS;

I emailed admissions and they said it was a bug and they are currently working to fix it so it doesn't max out! I am assuming they want a repeat of your DO clinical exposure from your experiences section with a few more words.
already submitted...ugh i hope they read my aacomas app

Hello. OOS applicant here. Just received my supplementary application. I'll turn it in within the week. I applied and was 3 tier WL, and hopefully I'll get an A this year.

Does it truly make a difference if someone takes a week or two to submit a secondary rather than submitting within a few days of receiving it?

Does it truly make a difference if someone takes a week or two to submit a secondary rather than submitting within a few days of receiving it?

That question is impossible to answer.
We can’t really predict what will happen.

What we know though, is that quality always trumps time. So take your time to craft the best essay.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the idea is that the earlier you send it, the earlier you are complete and can get an interview. Earlier interviews may have a better chance of acceptance. With time, the amount of seats available diminishes. So getting your application in early gives you a better chance.

Do the best you can to submit it as soon as possible!

Reactions: 2 users
+1 secondary received OOS

Should we only list Osteopathic experience because it gives the option to select MD in the provider type?

Should we only list Osteopathic experience because it gives the option to select MD in the provider type?
In my opinion, you should list all clinical experience. Not just Osteopathic experience.

Is there a word/character count?

For the clinical experience description, can we just copy and paste what we have from the AACOMAS application?

In my opinion, you should list all clinical experience. Not just Osteopathic experience.

Truthfully I would advise against this. their secondary explicitly states, "Do you have any osteopathic medical or shadowing experiences?"

This is a situation where words matter and if they wanted you to talk about all of your clinical experiences they likely wouldn't include osteopathic in the prompt. If you are unsure I would advise asking the school, best case scenario you include non-osteopathic related clinical experiences and it doesn't really impact your application. Worst case scenario they see an inability to follow simple instructions and screen your app.

What happens if you click no instead of yes on the question? Does the box to add stuff still come up? I took it as they were asking the osteopathic question separately from listing all your clinical experiences but that was just the way I read it. I guess if you click no and the box comes up it seems like they’d still like you to list something, if that makes sense.

Good point. I am leaning toward only Osteopathic experience cuz the list does not even show up if you select "no " for DO experience. Wondering if anyone has called the adcom and gotten a response from them?
I emailed them and they said:

"This is totally at your discretion. This is an opportunity to highlight your engagement with osteopathic medicine specifically."

So, I'm only adding DO experiences, they'll look at my non-osteopathic experience on my primary.