Army Medical Service Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Para_Doc_S.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
**NOT the Medical Corps**
I realize this is slightly off-topic. (I'll do some push-ups)

Has anyone gone the ROTC route to Medical Service Corps?

1. How competitive was it to get into the MSC?
2. Insight into your job and duties? AD / NG / AR.
3. Is there time to pursue higher education, as in med-school / grad-school science degrees?
4. What are deployments like?
5. Something you would change about your path if you could?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

3. Is there time to pursue higher education, as in med-school / grad-school science degrees?

Thanks.
I didn't do ROTC but I did serve in the medical service corps and knew some ROTC officers.

1. I don't know.
2. Extremely variable based on the job.
3. Grad school is a different animal than medical school as you will stay in your same job and just add a couple years of obligation. It's available and paid for by the army but it's got to be a degree that helps your job and it is a bit competitive to apply to. Medical school takes you out of the MSC so it requires lots of signatures and is much more complicated. I knew someone who was ROTC who did it but the paperwork took so long she had to defer a year.
4. Extremely variable based on job.

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks.

It's competitive. The MSC's I met on active duty always reminded me of the guys who jumped into the lifeboats on the Titanic volunteering to row. The career field seemed to attract that type.

- ex 61N

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's competitive. The MSC's I met on active duty always reminded me of the guys who jumped into the lifeboats on the Titanic volunteering to row. The career field seemed to attract that type.

- ex 61N
I knew two types. First were the people who wanted to fly MEDEVAC helicopters, or who wanted to fly but couldn't get aviation. The other type were the ones who hoped it would be a bridge to medical school somehow. Never seemed like it panned out for either of those groups.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MSC must be very different in the Army than Navy. In the Navy MSC is kind the "other" category in medicine. Meaning anything other than a doctor or nurse. The field includes everything from radiation health, PA, psychology, medical admin, etc... the admin types tend to be the ones that promote easier because their full time job is a leader rather than as a provider.