Medical Specialty Aptitude Test: Post Your Results

Started by SFAJess
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SFAJess

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Medical Specialty Aptitude Test

Wasn't considering most of these, but maybe I'll look into some of them now.

1 nuclear med 46
2 nephrology 42
3 ophthalmology 42
4 pediatrics 41
5 urology 41
6 rheumatology 41
7 infectious disease 41
8 hematology 40
9 occupational med 40
10 plastic surgery 40
 
1 hematology 49
2 dermatology 48
3 nuclear med 48
4 radiology 48
5 pediatrics 47
6 anesthesiology 47
7 radiation oncology 47
8 occupational med 46
9 rheumatology 46
10 nephrology 45
 
1 radiology 48
2 thoracic surgery 47
3 preventive med 47
4 general surgery 45
5 psychiatry 45
6 urology 41

I volunteered in Radiology and I'm a radiological health major...whhhhhhhhooooooaa...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 rheumatology 50
2 hematology 50
3 physical med & rehabilitation 48
4 preventive med 48
5 obstetrics/gynecology 48
6 nuclear med 47
7 occupational med 47
8 pulmonology 47
9 med oncology 47
10 infectious disease 47
 
1. nuclear med 43
2. emergency med 43
3. pulmonology 42
4. infectious disease42
5. endocrinology 42
6. neurosurgery 42
7. urology 42
8. radiology 42
9. physical med & rehabilitation 42
10. thoracic surgery 41
 
i dont remember exactly, but i did this a while ago, and my top three were (1,2,3): occ. med, prev. med, and neurology

pretty accurate, because my primary focus is on the policy/admin side; also, if i had to pick a specialty right now, id probably say neuro since i like the subject matter a lot
 
1 emergency med 45
2 dermatology 43
3 med oncology 43
4 ophthalmology 43
5 general surgery 42
6 gastroenterology 42
7 hematology 41
8 family practice 41
9 anesthesiology 41
10 radiation oncology 41
 
I better work hard when I get into med school...

From what I've heard I've been leaning towards EM knowing I'll have to get more info to make a real decision.

1 gastroenterology 47
2 dermatology 47
3 radiology 46
4 colon & rectal surgery 45
5 emergency med 45
6 plastic surgery 43
7 general surgery 42
8 infectious disease 42
9 anesthesiology 42
10 allergy & immunology 41
 
1 occupational med 48
2 psychiatry 46
3 pediatrics 46
4 med oncology 46
5 rheumatology 45
6 nephrology 45
7 radiation oncology 45
8 nuclear med 45
9 preventive med 45
10 aerospace med 45
 
1 psychiatry 46
2 aerospace med 46
3 psychiatry 46
4 aerospace med 46
5 radiology 44
6 neurosurgery 44
7 radiology 44
8 neurosurgery 44
9 plastic surgery 43

and the field i'm most interested in... 😳
52 physical med & rehabilitation 39
 
i took it a loooong time ago, but i'm pretty sure my top three was:

1) pathology
2) rad onc
3) radiology
 
I took it a while back too. It was pretty accurate:

1. General Surgery
2. Cardiothoracic Sx.
3. Interventional rads.

Looks like I'm gonna have to study hard. :scared:
 
Gastroenterology 43
Anesthesiology 41
General Surgery 40
Otolaryngology 40

Anesth., ENT, and General Surgery were actually the 3 I was most interested in to begin with. Sounds hopeful! 😉 Gastro, however, wasn't up there. haha.
 
1 pulmonology 48
2 rheumatology 45
3 preventive med 45
4 physical med & rehabilitation 45
5 obstetrics/gynecology 44
6 psychiatry 44
7 hematology 44
8 orthopaedic surgery 44
9 nephrology 43
10 infectious disease 43

Interesting, considering I have NO (repeat NO NO NO) desire in OB/Gyn, preventive med, or rehab. I have been leaning toward cardiology, hematology, oncology (ranked 18, 19, and 20). The only surgery I thought would be fun was orthopaedic, tho. Fun!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The test only gave me 2 results:

1. Urology
2. Thoracic Surgery

...urology--what the heck? I've never even conceived of that being a profession for me 😳 . I've always had neurology on my mind. Thoracic surgery is not bad though..lol
 
1 hematology 44
2 radiation oncology 44
3 ophthalmology 44
4 gastroenterology 43
5 rheumatology 43
6 med oncology 43
7 dermatology 43
8 pediatrics 43

pretty interesting tool
 
1- urology
2- general surgery
3- radiology
4- thoracic sugery

interesting test, b/c i do research in urology and have a strong interest in surgery.

cool test 👍
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 hematology 47
2 allergy & immunology 47
3 endocrinology 46
4 rheumatology 46
5 med oncology 45
6 radiation oncology 45
7 general internal med 44
8 occupational med 44
9 physical med & rehabilitation 44
10 ophthalmology 44
11 neurology 44
12 preventive med 43
13 nuclear med 43
14 otolaryngology 43
15 pediatrics 43
 
Why do I have so many? 😕 First ten I guess...
ophthalmology 46
2 nuclear med 46
3 radiology 45
4 plastic surgery 45
5 neurology 44
6 pathology 43
7 urology 43
8 preventive med 42
9 occupational med 42
10 neurosurgery 42
 
1 radiology 46
2 pathology 44
3 nuclear med 43
4 gastroenterology 43
5 dermatology 43

good link
 
interesting...

1 radiology 42
2 psychiatry 41
3 thoracic surgery 36
4 general surgery 36
5 urology 35
 
1 dermatology 46
2 gastroenterology 43
3 radiology 43
4 colon & rectal surgery 42
5 anesthesiology 42
6 pathology 41
7 nuclear med 41
8 ophthalmology 40
9 urology 40
10 emergency med 40
11 radiation oncology 40
12 med oncology 39
13 allergy & immunology 39
14 endocrinology 39
15 neurosurgery 39
 
1. Neurology
2. Neurosurgery
3. Pathology
4. Otolaryngology
5. Nuclear Med
 
1 pediatrics 40
2 gastroenterology 40
3 dermatology 39
4 med oncology 37
5 plastic surgery 37
6 general surgery 37
7 occupational med 37
8 radiology 36
9 psychiatry 36
10 ophthalmology
 
hmmmmm.... i got 36 - what the heck does that mean?
occupational med 45
2 rheumatology 43
3 med oncology 42
4 gastroenterology 42
5 anesthesiology 42
6 pediatrics 42
7 ophthalmology 42
8 radiation oncology 42
9 colon & rectal surgery 41
10 hematology 41
 
Ames980 said:
hmmmmm.... i got 36 - what the heck does that mean?
occupational med 45
2 rheumatology 43
3 med oncology 42
4 gastroenterology 42
5 anesthesiology 42
6 pediatrics 42
7 ophthalmology 42
8 radiation oncology 42
9 colon & rectal surgery 41
10 hematology 41
I got a huge number like that too....I just posted the top 10. I guess it means we're well rounded! 😀
 
1 radiology 45
2 nuclear med 45
3 gastroenterology 45
4 infectious disease 43
5 pediatrics 43
6 plastic surgery 42
7 dermatology 42
8 anesthesiology 42
9 hematology 41
10 physical med & rehabilitation 41


I would have never guessed rads
 
liverotcod said:
1 Fry cook 42
2 Cab driver 40
3 SDN addict 39
LOL!! 😀 I got SDN Addict as well, but was ashamed and didn't post it.

Where is SDN Anonymous?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 dermatology 46
2 pediatrics 45
3 general surgery 44
4 ophthalmology 43
5 obstetrics/gynecology 43
6 nuclear med 43
7 neurosurgery 43
8 rheumatology 42
9 gastroenterology 42
10 general internal med 42

This is funny b/c specialities 2-5 have never interested me! Thanks for the link
 
I got 36 responses but I'll post the top 10:

1 orthopaedic surgery 49
2 med oncology 49
3 pulmonology 48
4 obstetrics/gynecology 48
5 thoracic surgery 48
6 general surgery 48
7 aerospace med 48
8 otolaryngology 48
9 radiation oncology 47
10 nuclear med 47

I've always loved general surgery and there it is at #6. Ortho is pretty cool too though.

Anyone else notice that there were about 8 questions that kept repeating themselves throughout the entire survey? Kind of annoying but it made it go by a lot quicker.
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 neurosurgery 42
2 endocrinology 42
3 infectious disease 42
4 neurology 41
5 pathology 40
6 allergy & immunology 40
7 cardiology 40
8 rheumatology 39
9 nephrology 39
10 general internal med 38

I am still pre-med so it's a bit early, but I am leaning heavily toward cardiology at this point. Neuro is interesting too, but there are SO many problems that cannot be effectively treated in that area, and that would bother me. As for neurosurgery, I don't think I have the manual dexterity required for that...
 
1 radiology 44
2 gastroenterology 42
3 dermatology 41
4 nuclear med 39
5 ophthalmology 39
6 urology 38
7 emergency med 38
8 psychiatry 37
9 anesthesiology 37
10 cardiology 36

I'm leaning toward pathology, which was #21 on my list.
 
1 general surgery 44
2 aerospace med 44
3 obstetrics/gynecology 44
4 med oncology 44
5 dermatology 44
6 gastroenterology 43
7 cardiology 43
8 general internal med 43
9 family practice 43
10 orthopaedic surgery 43


What the hell is aerospace med???? and 3 ob/gyn hahah :laugh:

General Surgery is what I want to do!!!! Sweet! 👍
 
1 general surgery 47
2 plastic surgery 47
3 ophthalmology 47
4 otolaryngology 46
5 emergency med 46
6 neurosurgery 45
7 general internal med 45
8 urology 45
9 thoracic surgery 44
10 occupational med 44
11 gastroenterology 44
12 nephrology 44
13 colon & rectal surgery 44
14 anesthesiology 44
Random.. I woulda never thought!
 
1 obstetrics/gynecology 48
2 nuclear med 47
3 colon & rectal surgery 47
4 radiology 46
5 thoracic surgery 46
6 urology 45
7 orthopaedic surgery 45
8 pathology 45
9 otolaryngology 44
10 general surgery 44

Interesting stuff.. thanks for sharing!
 
1 preventive med 44
2 aerospace med 42
3 psychiatry 42
4 nuclear med 42
5 neurology 42
6 neurosurgery 42
7 pulmonology 42
8 allergy & immunology 41
9 pathology 41
10 radiology 41


Hmmm, what kind of science nerd am I?? 😀 8-I am getting my PhD in immunology, so that is fitting. I am leaning to GI/Endocrine which were 17-18 on my list.

Fun!

🙂

Treg
 
1 physical med & rehabilitation 46
2 pediatrics 45
3 pathology 45
4 radiology 45
5 rheumatology 45
6 occupational med 44
7 hematology 44
8 dermatology 44
9 general internal med 43
10 anesthesiology 43

I got 36 also...right now I'm leaning towards neurology, which was 19 on my list, but I'm thinking about combining it with peds, so that's a good sign! I'd like to take this again after a couple years in med school to see how it changes.
 
rtmcad2319 said:
What the hell is aerospace med????

Aerospace Medicine physicians provide primary care and preventive medicine services to pilots and astronauts. While most medicine deals with people in a normal environment people with abnormal physiology (i.e., they're sick), aerospace medicine deals with extremely healthy people in an abnormal environment. Some physicians get involved in research.

Aerospace Medicine physicians are most often found working for the Military or NASA. Some work for the FAA or major airlines.

In the military, Aerospace Medicine physicians are required to fly at least 4 hours a month. Many fly more often than that - some a LOT more often. If they happen to be assigned to an F-15E wing, for example, they would hitch a ride in the back seat. They are NOT pilots, just "observers".

Several Aerospace Medicine physicians are current or former astronauts.
 
Oh, yeah, I forgot. Someone had another link to a seemingly more accurate test that provided a lot more background information. I can't find it in the search. Does anyone have this link?
 
UseUrHeadFred said:
Aerospace Medicine physicians provide primary care and preventive medicine services to pilots and astronauts. While most medicine deals with people in a normal environment people with abnormal physiology (i.e., they're sick), aerospace medicine deals with extremely healthy people in an abnormal environment. Some physicians get involved in research.

Aerospace Medicine physicians are most often found working for the Military or NASA. Some work for the FAA or major airlines.

In the military, Aerospace Medicine physicians are required to fly at least 4 hours a month. Many fly more often than that - some a LOT more often. If they happen to be assigned to an F-15E wing, for example, they would hitch a ride in the back seat. They are NOT pilots, just "observers".

Several Aerospace Medicine physicians are current or former astronauts.

👍 👍 👍

I may in fact go this way. The Air Force has a cool "Pilot Physician" program where prior pilots who graduate from med school can basically do both jobs and advise on aeromedical issues.
 
MoosePilot said:
👍 👍 👍

I may in fact go this way. The Air Force has a cool "Pilot Physician" program where prior pilots who graduate from med school can basically do both jobs and advise on aeromedical issues.

I'm jealous. I think I'm going to do it, too, but I'm no pilot. Maybe you'll give me a ride sometime? I don't care WHAT I fly, so long as it has real wings (i.e., NOT rotary!)

Hey, you used to pilot a large aircraft, didn't you? If the seats are two abreast, then does the FS sit in the co-pilot seat and have their own set of controls?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MoosePilot said:
👍 👍 👍

I may in fact go this way. The Air Force has a cool "Pilot Physician" program where prior pilots who graduate from med school can basically do both jobs and advise on aeromedical issues.

MoosePilot, if you have any thoughts on AF HPSP, would you mind PMing me? They've been recruiting me and I'm interested, although probably too old and too liberal to be allowed to serve my country 😀 .
 
UseUrHeadFred said:
I'm jealous. I think I'm going to do it, too, but I'm no pilot. Maybe you'll give me a ride sometime? I don't care WHAT I fly, so long as it has real wings (i.e., NOT rotary!)

Hey, you used to pilot a large aircraft, didn't you? If the seats are two abreast, then does the FS sit in the co-pilot seat and have their own set of controls?

I'm still flying a large plane. The AF has me waiting at least until next year's app cycle, because they feel they're a touch short on airlift at the moment or something.

The FS usually sits in one of our "jump seats", two seats just behind the pilot and copilot. I'd have to review the regs, but I think they can be in the seat during non-critical phases of flight (not during takeoff, landing, or air refueling). I really would have to look at my books if it came up, though, they don't fly with us that often.

Liverotcod, I'll PM you, but I encourage everyone who is interested in the military to research through the mil forum here. Lots of good viewpoints on both sides of the issue there.
 
MoosePilot said:
Liverotcod, I'll PM you, but I encourage everyone who is interested in the military to research through the mil forum here. Lots of good viewpoints on both sides of the issue there.

D'oh! Thanks, I'll do that.
 
1 pediatrics 47
2 radiation oncology 45
3 obstetrics/gynecology 44
4 plastic surgery 43
5 hematology 43
6 family practice 42
7 emergency med 42
8 ophthalmology 41
9 anesthesiology 41
10 physical med & rehabilitation 41

Cool, i always thought i would like pediatrics! this test asked me the same questions like 3 times though!! good stuff.