Medical Specialty Aptitude Test: Post Your Results

Started by SFAJess
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 med oncology 46
2 pediatrics 45
3 psychiatry 44
4 dermatology 42
5 preventive med 41
6 physical med & rehabilitation 41
7 aerospace med 40
8 cardiology 40
9 general internal med 40
10 rheumatology 40
11 family practice 39

I took the test again, several months later, after starting 3rd rotations, similar results. Test still suggests psych and med onc. Keeps suggesting peds too, even though I hate kids. 🙂 Weird.

Rank Specialty Score
1 psychiatry 49
2 med oncology 45
3 radiology 44
4 pediatrics 44
5 aerospace med 43
6 dermatology 43
7 general internal med 41
8 emergency med 40
9 allergy & immunology 40
10 hematology 40
 
1 dermatology 40
2 radiology 38
3 psychiatry 37
4 neurology 37
5 allergy & immunology 37
6 gastroenterology 37
7 radiation oncology 36
8 pediatrics 36
9 pathology 35
10 anesthesiology 35
11 emergency med 35
12 endocrinology 35
13 rheumatology 34
14 med oncology 34
15 physical med & rehabilitation 34
16 nuclear med 34
17 occupational med 34
18 ophthalmology 34
19 urology 33
20 infectious disease 33
21 colon & rectal surgery 33
22 nephrology 32
23 hematology 32
24 aerospace med 32
25 neurosurgery 32
26 plastic surgery 31
27 otolaryngology 31
28 pulmonology 31
29 general internal med 30
30 family practice 30
31 preventive med 30
32 obstetrics/gynecology 30
33 thoracic surgery 29
34 general surgery 29
35 orthopaedic surgery 28
36 cardiology 28
 
1 radiology 48
2 pathology 47
3 occupational med 45
4 dermatology 45
5 anesthesiology 44
6 radiation oncology 43
7 hematology 43
8 rheumatology 43
9 nuclear med 42
10 neurology 41
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i also got occupational health as my number one. How come I rarely, if ever at all, hear people match into preventive medicine which i just found out is an actual recognized medical specialty? I don't think I've ever heard of anybody doing a PM residency...
 
dermatology 47
radiology 44
occupational med 44
nuclear med 43
pediatrics 42
anesthesiology 42
general internal med 42
rheumatology 42
neurosurgery 41
endocrinology 41
 
this is great but the last one on the list is lulz :laugh: I've definitely considered atleast 5 out of the top 7 with my personality...👍

1 radiology 47
2 plastic surgery 47
3 nuclear med 47
4 gastroenterology 47
5 infectious disease 46
6 neurosurgery 46
7 dermatology 46
8 thoracic surgery 46
9 general surgery 45
10 pediatrics 45
11 allergy & immunology 45

...

33 colon & rectal surgery 41
34 orthopaedic surgery 40
35 otolaryngology 39
36 family practice 39
 
#1 for me was OB/GYN....HELL NO!


Although it could help with my life goal of being more like Cosby, I mean Dr. Huxtable.
 
I went with the pathways eval link (it was shorter). It does a better job as far as assessing you. It's pretty straight forward. Where in the spectrum of various topics do you fall and how important are these topics in choosing your specialty. Then it gives you the deviation from ALL specialties.

I remember doing the OP's link as a high schooler. The OP's link has a flaw in that it kinda asks the same question over and over again. This is important because if you said True or Very True to the same question but in different instances, then you probably ranked yourself higher for a specialty in one over the other. This is just human error and it kinda affects the whole ranking system which only deviates by a few points as it is for the top 10. I'm guessing they listed questions for each profession and then they just asked you if you are against or for it. That's why some people may get so many results. If you gave a lot of neutral, then you probably scored for every profession. 😛 The only way I could possibly think you would have a small list is if you chose the opposite answer for the profession and ended with a negative value. 😛 Maybe I'm wrong. In any case, I was always stuck in something with zero interest in persuing...

My Top 10 were are (for pathways)

Medical Oncology
Hematology
Infectious Diseases
Neurology
Neonatal - Perinatal Medicine
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Radiation Oncology
Dermatology
Child Neurology
Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism

Apparently, I'm all wrong for Diagnostic Radiology. 😛 I score like 90+
 
1 nephrology
2 psychiatry
3 preventive med
4 occupational med
5 aerospace med
6 general surgery
7 pathology
8 obstetrics/gynecology
9 infectious disease
10 emergency med

...

36 gastroenterology <---darn right it's last!
 
1 dermatology 44 (my top choice!)
2 emergency med 43
3 gastroenterology 43
4 family practice 42
5 radiology 42
6 pediatrics 42
7 urology 41
8 general internal med 41
9 physical med & rehabilitation 41
10 hematology 40
11 ophthalmology 40 (my other top choice!)
 
Wow, I did like the pathways test much better!

Dermatology (top choice for me!)
Radiation Oncology
Ophthalmology (top choice for me!)
Otolaryngology
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
 
1 allergy & immunology 42
2 emergency med 41
3 pulmonology 41
4 gastroenterology 41
5 radiology 41
6 nuclear med 40
7 neurology 40
8 neurosurgery 40
9 endocrinology 40
10 physical med & rehabilitation 39
11 dermatology 39
12 pathology 38
13 urology 38
14 thoracic surgery 38
15 aerospace med 38
16 plastic surgery 37
17 general internal med 37


I'm a bit curious about the manner in which this exam produces its ranked list. I would have thought that, at very least, it would rank similar disciplines closer to each other. For example: it ranked plastic surgery and general internal medicine--two patently different areas of medicine--right next to each other, just as it did with urology and pathology as well as neurosurgery and endocrinology--also patently different areas.
 
Medical Specialty Aptitude Test
1 pathology 49 😀
2 radiology 47
3 neurology 46
4 dermatology 46
5 emergency med 45
6 anesthesiology 44
7 allergy & immunology 44
8 rheumatology 44
9 pulmonology 44
10 thoracic surgery 44 :scared:


Pathways
dermatology
ophthalmology
plastic surgery
otolaryngology
orthopaedic surgery
sports medicine
anesthesiology
urology
radiation oncology
gastroenterology 😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a bit curious about the manner in which this exam produces its ranked list. I would have thought that, at very least, it would rank similar disciplines closer to each other. For example: it ranked plastic surgery and general internal medicine--two patently different areas of medicine--right next to each other, just as it did with urology and pathology as well as neurosurgery and endocrinology--also patently different areas.

The questions seem to come from varying sources and they don't seem to be under the same grading system. They asked "make decisions" several times. If you answered differently, you basically ranked certain specialties higher than another. I think the lack of uniformity in the exam prevents it from making a good search. It's all fun though. I suggested using the pathways one which is basically asking all specialties the same questions and scoring you by standard deviation. Makes more sense to me 😛.
 
I got asked many questions multiple times. Here's the top 10 (of 36):

1 pediatrics 42
2 physical med & rehabilitation 41
3 psychiatry 40
4 med oncology 40
5 infectious disease 40
6 radiation oncology 40
7 hematology 39
8 gastroenterology 37
9 occupational med 37
10 aerospace med 37

Fairly accurate, though I'm not interested in physical/occupational medicine.
 
1. [SIZE=-1]
spacer.gif
gastroenterology[/SIZE]
46
2. [SIZE=-1]
spacer.gif
anesthesiology[/SIZE]
44
3. [SIZE=-1]
spacer.gif
radiation oncology 44
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]4. med oncology 43[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
5. occupational med[/SIZE]
43
6. [SIZE=-1]
spacer.gif
radiology 42[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
7. plastic surgery 42[/SIZE]

8. [SIZE=-1]
spacer.gif
physical med & rehabilitation 42[/SIZE]

9. [SIZE=-1]
spacer.gif
pediatrics 42[/SIZE]

10. [SIZE=-1]
spacer.gif
infectious disease 42[/SIZE]



Funny, I never even considered my top 3...
 
This is the top 10 for the first test

[SIZE=-1]1 pediatrics [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]45[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]physical med & rehabilitation [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]44[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]radiation oncology [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]43[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]4 emergency med [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]43[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]5 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]dermatology [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]43[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]6 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]radiology [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]43[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]7 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]occupational med [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]43[/SIZE]
spacer.gif
8 [SIZE=-1]anesthesiology [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]42[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]9 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rheumatology [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]41[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]10 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]infectious disease [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]41[/SIZE]

This is the top 10 for the pathway test

1 Radiation Oncology
2 Dermatology
3 Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
4 Ophthalmology
5 Otolaryngology
6 Allergy and Immunology
7 Orthopaedic Surgery
8 Gastroenterology
9 Neurology
10 Urology

Its still really early for me but from looking at the combination of both tests, radiation oncology, dermatology, and physical med and rehab are my best bets right now. I like the looks of ophthalmology and neurology a lot too.
 
1 nuerosurgery 46
2 orthopaedic surgery 45
3 thoracic surgery 45
4 general surgery 45

Looks like I'm in for a long residency... I'm interested in surgery but EM has been something I'm interested in for awhile but it was 19. Some I would never consider seriously (ob gyn, number 10)
 
ties @ 46
nuclear med
neurosurgery

ties @ 45
plastic surgery
physical med & rehibiliation

ties @ 44
urology
thoracic surgery
pathology
endocrinology
emergency med
infectious disease
allergy & immunology

ties @ 43
cardiology
pulmonology
orthopaedic surgery
neurology

i got a list of 36 specialties.

man i got a lot...

my personal top choices are orthopaedic surgery and neonatal/perinatal medicine

i love how heart surgery, emergency med, and allergy & immunology all got the same compatibility score... cuz they are SO similar... 😕

the other popular specialty test i have taken had
#1 as ENT and #2 as rad onc

i wonder why i get such different results with the two tests? i always answer 100% honestly.
 
1 dermatology 48
2 general internal med 47
3 emergency med 47
4 psychiatry 47
5 nuclear med 47
6 physical med & rehabilitation 46
7 pediatrics 46
8 occupational med 46
9 plastic surgery 45
10 ophthalmology 45

I am generally happy with mine, even though I'm interested in pathology too.
 
1 psychiatry 49
2 occupational med 48
3 aerospace med 48
4 pediatrics 48
5 general internal med 48
6 med oncology 48
7 family practice 47
8 rheumatology 47
9 hematology 47
10 physical med & rehabilitation 46


This is a bit closer to me than in the past...I'd taken the same test before and got really screwy results, as in waaaaay off. I guess I understand a little more about what to expect now, so maybe that explains the difference in my results. I keep getting peds up there in the top 10; I understand why, but that's a specialty that I'm definately not interested in.
 
1. derm
2. colon and rectal surgery
3. anesthesiology
4. allergy and immunology
5. general surgery
6. radiology
So yea, is colon and rectal surgery cool? Seems like dirty work but somebody has to do it!
 
[SIZE=-1]1 radiology 42
2 pathology 42
3 nuclear medicine 41
4 dermatology 40
5 occupational medicine 39
6 physical medicine & rehabilitation 37
7 neurology 37
8 preventative medicine 37
9 radiation oncololgy 37
10 hematology 37

[/SIZE]
 
1pathology48
2nephrology46
3neurology46
4thoracic surgery46
5occupational med46
6allergy & immunology46
7infectious disease45
8hematology44
9endocrinology44

Im happy cuz nephrology is 2nd place and its what ive had my heart set on since HS...Infectious Disease is the only thing besides renal medicine ive ever had a real interest in, and thats also up there!
kinda funny that they think id make a good pathologist. Not this lifetime...
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 general surgery 46
2 urology 45
3 orthopaedic surgery 45
4 nuclear med 45
5 physical med & rehabilitation 44
6 thoracic surgery 44
7 radiology 44
8 neurosurgery 44
9 emergency med 44
10 cardiology 43
11 pulmonology 43
12 nephrology 43
13 aerospace med 43
14 plastic surgery 43
15 pathology 43



General surgery and ortho were my top choices so this quiz👍
 
took the pathways:

1) Preventive Medicine
2) Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
3) Infectious Diseases
4)Pediatrics
5) Family Practice
6) Neurology
7) Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
8) Otolaryngology
9) Geriatric Medicine
10) Gastroenterology
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pathways-
Thoracic Surgery
Pediatric Surgery
Colon and Rectal Surgery
Neurological Surgery
Vascular Surgery
Gastroenterology
Sports Medicine
Orthopaedic Surgery
Neonatal - Perinatal Medicine
General Surgery

That actually is crazy accurate (besides colon and rectal surgery and gastroenterology maybe) with what I want to do later on (...given that I get into medical one day haha)
 
I had thought about neurology and endocrinology, specifically the pediatric side, surprisingly I score last for peds, but I'm assuming that is general practice which I would be bad at (aka: seeing 50 snotty nose kids a day is not my idea of a good time)


1 physical med & rehabilitation 48
2 neurology 48
3 endocrinology 48
4 pathology 47
5 occupational med 46
6 thoracic surgery 45
7 neurosurgery 45
8 rheumatology 45
9 general internal med 45
10 infectious disease 45
 
I had thought about neurology and endocrinology, specifically the pediatric side, surprisingly I score last for peds, but I'm assuming that is general practice which I would be bad at (aka: seeing 50 snotty nose kids a day is not my idea of a good time)


1 physical med & rehabilitation 48
2 neurology 48
3 endocrinology 48
4 pathology 47
5 occupational med 46
6 thoracic surgery 45
7 neurosurgery 45
8 rheumatology 45
9 general internal med 45
10 infectious disease 45

Ok I just took pathways, interesting that I got the same type of things

Radiation Oncology
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Neurology
Allergy and Immunology
Ophthalmology
Rheumatology
Family Practice
Medical Oncology
Pediatrics
Child Neurology
 
I got 36 too.

Rank Specialty Score
1 nuclear med 47
2 thoracic surgery 44
3 plastic surgery 44
4 general surgery 43
5 radiology 43
6 pathology 43
7 neurosurgery 43
8 obstetrics/gynecology 43
9 infectious disease 43
10 hematology 43

I had thought about radiology, but never nuclear med. I think I might shadow a radiologist just to see what it's like.
 
1 General surgery 46
2 Gastroenterolgy 45
3 Cardiology 43
4 General Internal Med 43
5 Otolaryngology 43
6 Orthopaedic surgery 43
7 Obstetrics/Gynecology 43
8 Nuclear Medicine 43
9 Plastic surgery 43
10 Emergency Medicine 43
 
1. Psychiatry - 50 😉
2. Allergy and Immunology
3. Physical Med and Rehab
4. Neurology
5. Med Oncology
6. Hematology
7. General Internal Med
8. Endocrinology
9. Dermatology
10. Radiology
32. Pediatrics 😱


Ever since I could remember I have always wanted to go into Pediatrics. Weird. It's good to note though that the field I have chosen is also my number 1 🙂
 
Hmmm, nobody else has gotten family medicine.

That's what I got. Wonder how I answered the questions differently.
I think it was the question, know a little about a lot...that is soooo me.
 
1 emergency med 47
2 obstetrics/gynecology 44
3 aerospace med 43
4 dermatology 43
5 orthopaedic surgery 41
6 occupational med 40
7 otolaryngology 40
8 thoracic surgery 40
9 med oncology 40
10 family practice 39

Emergency med would be sweet. I am such a novelty seeker it hurts👍
 
1 hematology 46
2 gastroenterology 46
3 cardiology 46
4 allergy & immunology 46
5 radiology 45
6 nuclear med 45
 
1 med oncology 47
2 radiation oncology 46
3 dermatology 45
4 anesthesiology 44
5 radiology 44
6 physical med & rehabilitation 44
7 pediatrics 44
8 general internal med 43
9 rheumatology 43
10 nephrology 43


Oncology. Nice. I actually wanna do Oncology, if I make it that far.