Medical Specialty Aptitude Test: Post Your Results

Started by SFAJess
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1 endocrinology 48
2 dermatology 48
3 radiology 47
4 pathology 47
5 ophthalmology 47
6 allergy & immunology 47
7 nuclear med 46
8 physical med & rehabilitation 46
9 urology 46
10 neurosurgery 46

i was acctually thinking about radiology and allergy & immunology as thisgs that would be interesting
well first i need to get in then i will have 4 years to figure that out LOL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rank Specialty Score
1 neurosurgery 50
2 pulmonology 48
3 cardiology 48
4 thoracic surgery 48
5 general surgery 48
6 plastic surgery 48
7 nuclear med 48
8 orthopaedic surgery 47
9 obstetrics/gynecology 47
10 infectious disease 46
11 hematology 45
12 endocrinology 45
13 otolaryngology 44
14 pathology 43
15 allergy & immunology 43
16 gastroenterology 42
17 nephrology 42
18 neurology 42
19 preventive med 42
20 urology 40
21 radiation oncology 40
22 emergency med 39
23 aerospace med 39
24 physical med & rehabilitation 39
25 ophthalmology 38
26 occupational med 38
27 radiology 38
28 general internal med 38
29 med oncology 38
30 anesthesiology 37
31 rheumatology 36
32 colon & rectal surgery 35
33 psychiatry 34
34 dermatology 33
35 pediatrics 31
36 family practice 27

Surprisingly accurate. I am planning on pursuing neurosurg, and I can't stand peds or IM.
 
My top 3 were

1. radiology
2. urology
3. dermatology


Radiology does match nicely with my type of personality but I'm really interested in orthopedic surgery which was like ranked 10th in my list. It had a lot of repetetive questions but the results are pretty accurate. I would never do family medicine and it was ranked dead last. 😛
 
kinda sad since all of mine are so close together. I'm sure it will change as time goes on once you're in med school and what not. Although my top 20 is my interests (if you take out surgery [I put them at the bottom] - I already know I'm not putting out that much effort and want time with my family)

1 radiology 48
2 occupational med 48
3 nephrology 48
4 infectious disease 48
5 hematology 47
9 pathology 46
10 radiation oncology 46
11 physical med & rehabilitation 45
12 pediatrics 45
13 nuclear med 45
14 dermatology 45
15 anesthesiology 45
16 allergy & immunology 45
17 rheumatology 45
18 pulmonology 45
19 med oncology 44
20 endocrinology 44
21 neurosurgery 44
22 obstetrics/gynecology 44
23 aerospace med 44
24 preventive med 44
25 ophthalmology 43
26 otolaryngology 43
28 cardiology 43
29 emergency med 42
30 neurology 42
31 urology 41
32 general internal med 41
33 family practice 40
34 gastroenterology 40
35 psychiatry 40

6 thoracic surgery 46
7 general surgery 46
8 plastic surgery 46
27 colon & rectal surgery 43
36 orthopaedic surgery 40
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 radiology 42
2 psychiatry 42
3 physical med & rehabilitation 42
4 med oncology 42
5 preventive med 41
6 aerospace med 41
7 rheumatology 40
8 neurosurgery 39
9 hematology 39
10 endocrinology 39

Ack - the one I'm interested in is 10th!?
 
1 dermatology 47
2 radiology 46
3 general internal med 45
4 endocrinology 42
5 physical med & rehabilitation 41
6 pathology 41
7 nuclear med 41
8 neurology 40
9 neurosurgery 40
10 pediatrics 40


Rads and Neurology are my interests right now... we'll see. I could see psychiatry also, and that's at 17
 
1) Emergency Med 49
2) Nephrology 49
3) Pathology 48
4) anesthesiology 48

Don't remember the rest.
 
1 preventive med 50
2 occupational med 50
3 aerospace med 50
4 physical med & rehabilitation 50
5 neurosurgery 50
6 rheumatology 50
7 pulmonology 50
8 nephrology 50
9 med oncology 50
10 infectious disease 50
11 hematology 50
12 radiation oncology 50

I think there's something wrong with this test. I got 36 results.
 
plastic surgery 47
otolaryngology 46
neurosurgery 45
urology 45
thoracic surgery 45
general surgery 45
radiology 44
orthopaedic surgery 44
dermatology 44
colon & rectal surgery 43
allergy & immunology 43
cardiology 43
 
My most compatible was dermatology, I am screwed 😳 Although, my original drive to become a doctor stemmed from wanting to be a dermatologist thanks to a derm doc who helped me bring my severe burn scar back to a semi-normal patch of skin 🙂
 
1 occupational med 43
2 general surgery 42
3 obstetrics/gynecology 42
4 nephrology 42
5 rheumatology 41
6 hematology 41
7 general internal med 41
8 family practice 41
9 physical med & rehabilitation 41
10 pediatrics 41
 
Wow my results were so off what I was expecting/hoping for. I have no desire to do most of the fields in my top 10, and my number one choice (rads) came out as being ranked 8. I don't know what the future holds for me now.

Rank Specialty Score
1 gastroenterology 40
2 pathology 37
3 pediatrics 36
4 dermatology 36
5 allergy & immunology 36
6 hematology 35
7 general internal med 35
8 radiology 35
9 neurology 35
10 occupational med 34
 
Top 5:
1 allergy & immunology 48
2 nuclear med 47
3 neurology 47
4 neurosurgery 47
5 rheumatology 47

Bottom 5:
32 general surgery 37
33 emergency med 36
34 obstetrics/gynecology 31
35 family practice 28
36 pediatrics 24


hee hee. Bottom 3: ob/gyn, family practice, peds. I swear I don't hate kids. I don't think it even asks if you hate kids.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 pediatrics 42
2 occupational med 41
3 obstetrics/gynecology 40
4 nephrology 40
5 hematology 40

32 emergency med 34
33 general internal med 34
34 allergy & immunology 34
35 family practice 31
36 cardiology 30

odd thing is the bottom five are more appealing to me. *shrugs*
 
1 psychiatry 41
2 urology 39
3 radiology 39
4 general surgery 38
5 plastic surgery 37
6 pediatrics 31
7 thoracic surgery 31
8 aerospace med 31
9 occupational med 30
10 preventive med 28
11 physical med & rehabilitation 25

Haha, who knew I was inclined towards psychiatry (not even me...I had been thinking about #3 and #4. I'm not so sure about urology or psychiatry (I might need a psychiatrist myself if this process continues like this, I'm a nerve ball all the time....). On the other hand I think this is pretty acurate...I'd go for 3, 4 and maybe even 6.
 
Plastics for Plasticman. 👍

1 plastic surgery 50
2 general surgery 48
3 radiology 48
4 thoracic surgery 46
5 ophthalmology 46
 
1 hematology 46
2 neurosurgery 44
3 radiation oncology 44
4 physical med & rehabilitation 43
5 obstetrics/gynecology 43
6 nuclear med 42
7 pediatrics 42
8 urology 42
9 pulmonology 42
10 dermatology 42
 
PhillyEaglesFan said:
1 pediatrics 42
2 occupational med 41
3 obstetrics/gynecology 40
4 nephrology 40
5 hematology 40

32 emergency med 34
33 general internal med 34
34 allergy & immunology 34
35 family practice 31
36 cardiology 30

odd thing is the bottom five are more appealing to me. *shrugs*

How did you get family practice and peds to be so far apart?
 
3 tests, 3 different lists! I am actually interested in radiology, cardiology, and ophthalmology... stuff with invasive procedures/surgery.


1 radiology 48
2 nuclear med 47
3 general surgery 46
4 gastroenterology 46
5 infectious disease 46
6 hematology 45
7 pulmonology 45
8 nephrology 45
9 psychiatry 45
10 physical med & rehabilitation 45





1 infectious disease 48
2 hematology 47
3 gastroenterology 46
4 endocrinology 46
5 neurosurgery 46
6 pulmonology 46
7 nephrology 46
8 radiation oncology 46
9 radiology 46
10 pediatrics 46



1 nuclear med 50
2 radiology 48
3 plastic surgery 47
4 pulmonology 47
5 allergy & immunology 46
6 neurosurgery 46
7 endocrinology 45
8 nephrology 44
9 infectious disease 44
10 radiation oncology 44
 
1 med oncology 50
2 dermatology 47
3 radiation oncology 46
4 pediatrics 46
5 rheumatology 45

32 otolaryngology 35
33 orthopaedic surgery 35
34 urology 34
35 neurosurgery 33
36 general surgery 30

The odd part about this survey is my real interest in surgery. It must be the fact I don't want to be the butt-hole surgeon. Some of my best shadows were in oncology, however. Pretty interesting!
 
its funny..i am actually inclined toward anesthesiology

1 anesthesiology 44
2 colon & rectal surgery 42
3 radiology 41
4 occupational med 40
5 pathology 40
6 otolaryngology 40
7 ophthalmology 40
8 obstetrics/gynecology 40
9 nuclear med 40
10 radiation oncology 39

bottom 10:

27 general surgery 35
28 psychiatry 35
29 nephrology 35
30 med oncology 35
31 endocrinology 35
32 cardiology 34
33 neurology 34
34 neurosurgery 34
35 general internal med 33
36 family practice 27
 
1 rheumatology 48
2 pulmonology 47
3 nephrology 46
4 hematology 46
5 radiology 46
6 anesthesiology 46
7 occupational med 45
8 physical med & rehabilitation 45
9 pathology 45
10 endocrinology 45

i don't like numbers 1, and 7-9. but i think the rest of it hits the spot. weird.

i did the geocities quiz as well: funny, i was starting to lean towards radiology as of recent...
 
1 obstetrics/gynecology 49
2 pediatrics 48
3 urology 48
4 general internal med 47
5 dermatology 46
6 psychiatry 46
7 otolaryngology 45
8 orthopaedic surgery 45
9 radiology 45
10 occupational med 45


weird. I don't really like any of these.
I ESPECIALLY don't want to be an OB/GYN
 
1 nephrology 49
2 family practice 49
3 preventive med 48
4 aerospace med 48
5 physical med & rehabilitation 47
6 psychiatry 47
7 med oncology 47
8 neurosurgery 47
9 rheumatology 46
10 general internal med 46
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry bout posting all 36...just want to leave it here so that if ever in the future i need to look at this list and laugh at myself....i can.

1 radiology 49
2 pathology 48
3 neurology 48
4 dermatology 48
5 pulmonology 47
6 infectious disease 47
7 hematology 47
8 endocrinology 47
9 general internal med 46
10 nephrology 46
11 rheumatology 46
12 allergy & immunology 46
13 nuclear med 46
14 ophthalmology 46
15 psychiatry 46
16 thoracic surgery 46
17 physical med & rehabilitation 46
18 preventive med 45
19 occupational med 45
20 aerospace med 45
21 neurosurgery 45
22 anesthesiology 45
23 obstetrics/gynecology 44
24 otolaryngology 44
25 plastic surgery 44
26 general surgery 43
27 orthopaedic surgery 43
28 emergency med 43
29 colon & rectal surgery 43
30 radiation oncology 42
31 med oncology 42
32 gastroenterology 42
33 cardiology 42
34 urology 42
35 family practice 40
36 pediatrics 39
 
Interesting test to say the least! I wonder if its more like a magic eight ball or an actual accurate predictor of future interests!? 🙂

Emergency med., surgery, and peds were definitely on the list for me... so the results aren't creepy by any means, but they are interesting to say the least. Derm, Endo, and Radiology.. very cool stuff. The future is open wide.. so excited! 👍


Rank Specialty Score
1 dermatology 46
2 endocrinology 43
3 emergency med 42
4 orthopaedic surgery 40
5 pediatrics 39
6 radiology 39
7 psychiatry 39
8 plastic surgery 39
9 neurology 39
10 neurosurgery 39



-UAMS College of Medicine class of 2010!


"sometimes the presence of one virtue hides the absence of another."
 
1 radiology 47
2 physical med & rehabilitation 45
3 pathology 44
4 nuclear med 44
5 med oncology 44
6 infectious disease 43
7 dermatology 43
8 occupational med 43
9 psychiatry 43
10 allergy & immunology


Most of these are at the end of my list (rehab?! psch?! No way!), but no. 6 is right on the nose. 🙂
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 allergy & immunology 49
2 pulmonology 47
3 radiology 47
4 ophthalmology 47
5 neurology 46
6 physical med & rehabilitation 46
7 pathology 46
8 otolaryngology 46
9 occupational med 46
10 rheumatology 46


geez that was long
 
1 occupational med 46
2 rheumatology 46
3 radiation oncology 46
4 med oncology 45
5 hematology 45
6 physical med & rehabilitation 44
7 pediatrics 44
8 obstetrics/gynecology 43
9 psychiatry 43
10 preventive med 43

There's a few on there that I was actually looking at...
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 occupational med 42
2 pathology 42
3 neurology 41
4 urology 41
5 general surgery 40
6 nephrology 40
7 preventive med 39
8 endocrinology 39
9 emergency med 39
10 allergy & immunology 39
11 radiation oncology 39
12 radiology 39
13 thoracic surgery 39
14 otolaryngology 39
15 orthopaedic surgery 38
16 ophthalmology 38
17 neurosurgery 38
18 aerospace med 38
19 plastic surgery 38
20 physical med & rehabilitation 38
21 hematology 38
22 gastroenterology 38
23 dermatology 38
24 cardiology 38
25 infectious disease 37
26 colon & rectal surgery 37
27 anesthesiology 36
28 general internal med 36
29 rheumatology 36
30 pulmonology 36
31 obstetrics/gynecology 36
32 pediatrics 34
33 med oncology 34
34 psychiatry 33
35 nuclear med 33
36 family practice 30
 
NehsNairb said:
bmj.jpg


I scrounged this up from an old thread while doing a search on choosing a specialty.
It's kind of silly but I see the logic

By that logic, all of SDN would be going into Emergency Medicine.

(BTW. I posted the img. Let me know if I need to take it down to a url)
 
1 neurosurgery
2 thoracic surgery
3 plastic surgery
4 ophthalmology
5 nephrology
6 endocrinology
7 allergy & immunology
8 emergency med
9 infectious disease
10 pulmonology
 
1 pathology 49 2 thoracic surgery 48
3 radiology 47
4 dermatology 46
5 plastic surgery 45
6 nuclear med 45
7 neurology 45
8 otolaryngology 44 pulmonology 44 nephrology 44 gastroenterology 44 colon & rectal surgery 44 anesthesiology 44
 
Depakote said:
1 occupational med 46
2 rheumatology 46
3 radiation oncology 46
4 med oncology 45
5 hematology 45

6 physical med & rehabilitation 44
7 pediatrics 44
8 obstetrics/gynecology 43
9 psychiatry 43
10 preventive med 43

There's a few on there that I was actually looking at...

Actually, the more i think about this... HOLY CARP! I've actually been looking at Bone Marrow Transplant, which is Hematology/Oncology.
 
1 neurosurgery 48
2 nuclear med 47
3 ophthalmology 47
4 urology 47
5 plastic surgery 46
6 otolaryngology 46
7 gastroenterology 46
8 endocrinology 46
9 radiation oncology 46
10 anesthesiology 45
 
Well, I tried three different tests:

#1:

1 psychiatry 41
2 physical med & rehabilitation 41
3 occupational med 40
4 med oncology 40
5 rheumatology 39
6 hematology 39
7 radiation oncology 39
8 gastroenterology 38
9 endocrinology 38
10 general internal med 37
11 preventive med 37
12 pediatrics 37
13 pathology 37
14 neurology 36
15 radiology 36
16 dermatology 36
17 anesthesiology 36
18 allergy & immunology 36
19 infectious disease 35
20 ophthalmology 35
21 neurosurgery 34
22 aerospace med 34
23 colon & rectal surgery 34
24 nephrology 34
25 pulmonology 33
26 plastic surgery 33
27 urology 33
28 obstetrics/gynecology 33
29 otolaryngology 33
30 orthopaedic surgery 33
31 nuclear med 32
32 general surgery 32
33 cardiology 31
34 emergency med 31
35 thoracic surgery 30
36 family practice 28

#2:

Medical Oncology
Infectious Diseases
Neurology
Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Child Neurology
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Hematology
Pediatrics
Geriatric Medicine
Allergy and Immunology
Sports Medicine
Psychiatry
Radiation Oncology
Nephrology
Otolaryngology
Orthopaedic Surgery
Cardiology
Gastroenterology
Pulmonary / Critical Care Medicine
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Family Practice
Colon and Rectal Surgery
Plastic Surgery
Rheumatology
Urology
Medical Genetics
Ophthalmology
Internal Medicine
General Surgery
Neurological Suregery
Dermatology
Neonatal - Perinatal Medicine
Thoracic Surgery
Vascular Surgery
Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Preventive Medicine
Anesthesiology
Emergency Medicine
Pediatric Surgery
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Radiology - Diagnostic
Pathology

#3:

eye.gif



Hmm. Conflicting results, especially since I'm so interested in emergency medicine. I do agree that OB, radiology and pathology are definitely NOT for me. I wonder where I'll end up. 😕
 
1 thoracic surgery 43
2 pulmonology 43
3 gastroenterology 43
4 radiation oncology 43
5 infectious disease 42
6 dermatology 42
7 neurosurgery 42
8 rheumatology 42
9 radiology 42
10 occupational med 42


interesting....
 
Here are my top 16

1 thoracic surgery 45
2 obstetrics/gynecology 44
3 infectious disease 44
4 pulmonology 43
5 nuclear med 43
6 physical med & rehabilitation 42
7 plastic surgery 41
8 radiology 41
9 occupational med 41
10 hematology 41
11 gastroenterology 41
12 dermatology 41
13 cardiology 41
14 radiation oncology 41
15 otolaryngology 40
16 orthopaedic surgery 40


why top 16?? Because what I thought I really wanted to do is number 16.

Its only 5 points away from number 1, thoracic surgery.

Thoracic surgery could be cool too
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 aerospace med 44
2 radiology 43
3 thoracic surgery 42
4 pediatrics 42
5 infectious disease 42
6 rheumatology 41
7 nephrology 41
8 dermatology 41
9 anesthesiology 41
10 obstetrics/gynecology 41
11 psychiatry 41
12 preventive med 41
13 occupational med 41
14 plastic surgery 40
15 physical med & rehabilitation 40
16 nuclear med 40
17 neurology 40
18 orthopaedic surgery 40
19 urology 40
20 emergency med 40
21 med oncology 40
22 radiation oncology 40
23 pulmonology 39
24 hematology 39
25 family practice 39
26 ophthalmology 39
27 pathology 39
28 otolaryngology 39
29 neurosurgery 39
30 general surgery 39
31 general internal med 38
32 colon & rectal surgery 38
33 gastroenterology 38
34 endocrinology 38
35 cardiology 37
36 allergy & immunology 37
 
1) Med oncology
2) Rheumatology
3) Dermatology
4) Psychiatry
5) Physical Med & Rehabilitation
6) Ob/gyn
7) General surgery
8) Preventative med
9) Occupational med
10) Orthopaedic surgery




Well, surgery is not for me, and I'm pretty sure obstetrics isn't either (although gyno would be interesting). I really don't think I'd care for derm one bit and I think rehab would drive me nuts, but the other specialties sound pretty reasonable.
 
<B>The medical specialty for you is.... <font size="6" color="red">Orthopedic Surgery</font> <P>Orthopedic surgery is the best of all specialties. As an orthopedic surgeon or "bone doctor", there will exist no injury too minor for you to perform general surgery on it. But the real reward will come when you are able to see your patients walking again on their own two feet (i.e. after two years of physical therapy). <P>To find out what specialty best fits your unique personality, go to: <P><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/iqhometest/doctorb.html">What Medical Specialty Is For You?</A>
 
[SIZE=-1]1. physical med & rehabilitation 50
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2. obstetrics/gynecology 50👎
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3. nuclear med 48
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]4. orthopaedic surgery 48 👍
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]5. pathology 48
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]6. general surgery 48
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]7. urology 48
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]8. pulmonology 48
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]9. infectious disease 48
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]10. endocrinology 48[/SIZE]