Medical Specialty Aptitude Test: Post Your Results

Started by SFAJess
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 pediatrics 46
2 occupational med 45
3 psychiatry 44
4 obstetrics/gynecology 44
5 physical med & rehabilitation 44
6 med oncology 44
7 family practice 44
8 dermatology 43
9 general surgery 43
10 nuclear med 42


👍 😀
I want to be a pediatrician, so this is AWESOME. I shadowed a pediatrician, and I volunteer in a nursery....good to see I'm on the right track. 🙂
 
my top 5 (urology, plastic surgery, ophthalmology, gastroenterology, and colon & rectal surgery) are probably my least favorite. 🙁 Although I do admit I am an a** man. :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UseUrHeadFred said:
Aerospace Medicine physicians provide primary care and preventive medicine services to pilots and astronauts. While most medicine deals with people in a normal environment people with abnormal physiology (i.e., they're sick), aerospace medicine deals with extremely healthy people in an abnormal environment. Some physicians get involved in research.

Aerospace Medicine physicians are most often found working for the Military or NASA. Some work for the FAA or major airlines.

In the military, Aerospace Medicine physicians are required to fly at least 4 hours a month. Many fly more often than that - some a LOT more often. If they happen to be assigned to an F-15E wing, for example, they would hitch a ride in the back seat. They are NOT pilots, just "observers".

Several Aerospace Medicine physicians are current or former astronauts.

Thanks a lot. 👍 I will definitly look into this. I love flying but cannot go into the military due to my poor eye sight and love medicine so this might be a great field for me.
 
1 radiology 42
2 pediatrics 42
3 physical med & rehabilitation 41
4 psychiatry 40
5 nuclear med 40
6 infectious disease 40
7 gastroenterology 40
8 dermatology 40
9 rheumatology 39
10 obstetrics/gynecology 39

These things always give me radiology. Which is like my #1 specialty I DON'T want to go into. Yes, I'm a geek, but I'm going into medicine so I no longer have to spend all my time in front of a computer screen.

I've thought about peds, psych, and ob/gyn. Some of my other top choices are further down the list though.
 
1. Colon nad Rectal Surg...what's up with that????
2. Urology
3. Plastics
4. Anesthesiology
5. Nuclear
5. Optho
6. Derma
7. Rad
8. OB/GYN

Bottom of list were Preventative and Family Medicine.... This was a funny test. I have been seriously considering Hem/Onc, Peds, and Allergy&Immuno, which were among the last specialties on my list of like 30. Well, I guess I'm gonna be an a$$ doctor then... 😉 Gotta keep an open mind throughout this process. :luck: 😀 😛
 
1 pediatrics 47
2 nuclear med 46
3 dermatology 45
4 nephrology 43
5 obstetrics/gynecology 42
 
I've taken this test a few times before, and my top 3 seem to flip flop a bit. EM and OB/GYN are always in the top three, other than that it varries. Guess I'll look into those two.


1 obstetrics/gynecology 45
2 emergency med 44
3 gastroenterology 42
4 orthopaedic surgery 42
5 dermatology 41
6 endocrinology 39
7 cardiology 39
8 otolaryngology 39
9 med oncology 39
10 nuclear med 39
 
1 otolaryngology 49
2 neurosurgery 49
3 pulmonology 49
4 general internal med 49
5 emergency med 48
6 dermatology 48
7 pathology 48
8 hematology 48
9 plastic surgery 48
10 ophthalmology 48
11 nuclear med 48
12 neurology 48
13 thoracic surgery 48
14 general surgery 47
15 occupational med 47

My current interests (in no particular order) are neurosurgery, neurology, emergency medicine, and cardiology (thoracic surgery).
 
1 radiology 49
2 emergency med 47
3 orthopaedic surgery 46
4 neurosurgery 45
5 endocrinology 44
6 dermatology 44
7 allergy & immunology 44
8 obstetrics/gynecology 44
9 plastic surgery 44
10 urology 44

this actually surprised me- a number of these specialties are ones that i've been considering.

i'll try out that other test and see what it says.
 
1 thoracic surgery 50
2 occupational med 50
3 pathology 50
4 ophthalmology 50
5 rheumatology 50
6 endocrinology 50
7 emergency med 50
8 dermatology 50
9 cardiology 49
10 neurosurgery 49
11 infectious disease 49
12 physical med & rehabilitation 49
13 general surgery 49
14 radiology 48
15 otolaryngology 48
16 orthopaedic surgery 48
17 nuclear med 48
18 pulmonology 48
19 anesthesiology 48
20 allergy & immunology 48
21 general internal med 47
22 preventive med 47
23 gastroenterology 47
24 urology 46
25 neurology 46
26 pediatrics 46
27 colon & rectal surgery 46
28 nephrology 46
29 hematology 46
30 plastic surgery 46
31 obstetrics/gynecology 45
32 aerospace med 45
33 radiation oncology 44
34 med oncology 41
35 psychiatry 41
36 family practice 40
 
1. emergency medicine
2. thoracic surgery
3. general surgery
4. plastic surgery
5. orthopedic surgery

Interesting how EM is #1, but I still think I'm gonna be a surgeon.
 
1 pediatrics 44 (the light calls)
2 dermatology 44 (but the dark side beckons...)

3 gastroenterology 43
4 urology 43
5 occupational med 42
6 neurosurgery 42
7 ophthalmology 42
8 anesthesiology 42
9 radiation oncology 42
 
1 gastroenterology 44
2 physical med & rehabilitation 43
3 general internal med 42
4 radiology 41
5 occupational med 41
6 neurology 41
7 psychiatry 40
8 urology 40
9 pediatrics 40
10 dermatology 40

Very interested in rads, somewhat in psych, neuro, and peds
Totally not interested in the other 6.
 
preventive med 50
2 occupational med 47
3 physical med & rehabilitation 47
4 pediatrics 46
5 aerospace med 46
6 psychiatry 45
7 rheumatology 44
8 hematology 44
9 pulmonology 42
10 emergency med 42
11 general internal med 41
12 nephrology 41
13 med oncology 41
14 infectious disease 41
15 obstetrics/gynecology 41
16 radiology 40
17 family practice


hmm, there is absolutely NO WAY i would do psychiatry. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Took this a while back...here are the results....
Top 5
1) pathology (what I want to do).
2) radiology (2nd choice)
3) psychiatry 😕
4) dermatology
5) nuclear med

Bottom 5
1) gastroenterology
2) orthopaedic surgery
3) obstetrics/gynecology (gag)
4) pediatrics
5) family practice


I took it again the other day and got this for my top five...

1) psychiatry 😕
2) dermatology
3) neurology
4) pathology
5) radiology
 
very repetitive, but cool nonetheless.......

1) med onc
2) family practice
3) peds

this is most fabulous because after graduation i'll be spending 4 years in the great state of kansas practicing primary care. hooray!
 
of course, these results are meaningless...once you get to med school and see what it's really about, everyone tends to gravitate toward the lifestyle specialities...
 
doc05 said:
of course, these results are meaningless...once you get to med school and see what it's really about, everyone tends to gravitate toward the lifestyle specialities...


I totally agree with this. It's funny though that both tests came back with Dermatology as #1 for me....I guess I put too much value in the lifestyle questions!! (i'm not interested in derm) 🙄
 
I took the "Pathway Evaluation" and here's what I got for my top 10:

urology, ophthalmology, colon/rectal surgery (UGH), otolaryngology, sports medicine, gastroenterology, orthopedic surgery, cardiology, general surgery and vascular surgery.

Colon/rectal surgery--UGH! I told my friends these results and was the butt of jokes. I mean, I know I can be anal about things and can be a pain in the rear, but seriously! Can't see myself doing colon and rectal surgery. 😛

Compare this with the Specialty Aptitude Test results:

1 neurosurgery 42
2 endocrinology 42
3 infectious disease 42
4 neurology 41
5 pathology 40
6 allergy & immunology 40
7 cardiology 40
8 rheumatology 39
9 nephrology 39
10 general internal med 38

I have to say the second list seems more accurate for me--can't really see myself being coordinated enough for surgery. Also, I don't think I'm big enough to be an orthopod (5' 2.5" and 105 lbs). Only one specialty made both top-10 lists, and it happens to be the one I am most interested in at this point. Also, both tests listed emergency medicine near the bottom.
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 psychiatry 47
2 aerospace med 45
3 preventive med 42
4 physical med & rehabilitation 42
5 plastic surgery 39
6 thoracic surgery 39
7 radiology 37
8 general surgery 36
9 occupational med 35
10 pediatrics 34
11 pathology 33
12 urology 31

how wierd! I'm interested in family medicine or infectious diseases...not on the list! Aerospace med?????
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 general surgery 50
2 plastic surgery 48
3 obstetrics/gynecology 47
4 thoracic surgery 47
5 gastroenterology 47
6 radiation oncology 47
7 colon & rectal surgery 46
8 anesthesiology 46
9 emergency med 46
10 urology 46
11 orthopaedic surgery 46
12 radiology 45
13 med oncology 45
14 nephrology 44
15 dermatology 44
16 hematology 44
17 ophthalmology 44
18 nuclear med 44
19 pediatrics 43
20 family practice 43
21 otolaryngology 43
22 physical med & rehabilitation 42
23 psychiatry 42
24 occupational med 42
25 pathology 41
26 aerospace med 40
27 neurosurgery 40
28 rheumatology 40
29 infectious disease 40
30 endocrinology 39
31 general internal med 39
32 preventive med 38
33 neurology 37
34 allergy & immunology 37
35 pulmonology 36
36 cardiology 35
 
Pffft. My career choice was only #26, right next to colorectal surgery. Thumbs down.
 
1 plastic surgery 49
2 orthopaedic surgery 49
3 general surgery 48
4 ophthalmology 47
5 nuclear med 47
6 otolaryngology 47
7 infectious disease 46
8 neurosurgery 46
9 obstetrics/gynecology 45
10 urology 45

Surgery 👍
Emergency medicine (my pick) comes in at #12. Not bad.
 
here's mine...ER is something I'm looking into so maybe this is pretty accurate. the questions were kinda repetetive though!

1 emergency med 48
2 urology 47
3 otolaryngology 47
4 general surgery 46
5 ophthalmology 45
6 gastroenterology 45
7 nephrology 44
8 dermatology 44
9 obstetrics/gynecology 44
10 orthopaedic surgery 44
 
Here are my results. I always knew that I was going into surgery, but I'll know more once I am in med school and doing rotations.

Rank Specialty Score
1 thoracic surgery 50
2 general surgery 50
3 plastic surgery 50
4 neurosurgery 49
5 orthopaedic surgery 49
6 nuclear med 49
7 nephrology 48
8 physical med & rehabilitation neurosurgery 47
9 infectious disease 47
10 obstetrics/gynecology47
 
Gastroenterology
Otolaryngology
Urology
Orthopaedic Surgery
Sports Medicine
Colon and Rectal Surgery
Pulmonary / Critical Care Medicine
Radiation Oncology
Cardiology
General Surgery
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Neurological Suregery
Plastic Surgery
Vascular Surgery
Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Ophthalmology
Neurology
Nephrology
Thoracic Surgery
Neonatal - Perinatal Medicine
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation


The only ones up there that I may want to do as of right now would be: rad onc, cardiology, neonatal-perinatal med. A lot of people seem to be getting gastroenterology! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All of them are pretty clsoe, but I nuclear med, aerospace med, radiology and pathology are completely wrong. The others I agree with.

1 nuclear med 47
2 pathology 46
3 nephrology 46
4 infectious disease 45
5 neurosurgery 45
6 general surgery 45
7 radiology 44
8 thoracic surgery 44
9 aerospace med 44
10 plastic surgery 44
 
1 physical med & rehabilitation 46
2 pediatrics 46
3 occupational med 45
4 radiology 45
5 obstetrics/gynecology 44
6 radiation oncology 43
7 dermatology 42
8 preventive med 42
9 endocrinology 42
10 med oncology 41
11 gastroenterology 41
12 allergy & immunology 41
13 nuclear med 41
14 rheumatology 41
15 aerospace med 41


No interest in pediatrics. Def no interest in OB/GYN. Thinking about gastro (11), prev med (8) and derm (7) (if im lucky i guess....)
 
SFAJess said:
The only ones up there that I may want to do as of right now would be: rad onc, cardiology, neonatal-perinatal med. A lot of people seem to be getting gastroenterology! 🙂

What!!?!? You don't want to go into colon and rectal surgery?
 
Why is it 130 questions long when there are only really about eight questions they ask over and over?

Anyway, my results are:
1. Physical Med and rehab 48
2. Pulmonology 48
3. Ob/Gyn 47
4. Neurosurgery 46
5. Orthopaedic surgery 46
6. Occupational Med 46
7. Radiation oncology 46
8. Emergency Med 45
9. Infectious Disease 45
10. Hematology 45
 
rockstar2525 said:
Why is it 130 questions long when there are only really about eight questions they ask over and over?

It's a standard technique on these types of assessments to ask similar questions with slightly different shadings to help correlate your answers.
 
1 med oncology 49
2 pediatrics 48
3 family practice 47
4 radiation oncology 45
5 occupational med 45
6 physical med & rehabilitation 44
7 dermatology 44
8 hematology 44
9 nephrology 43
10 psychiatry 43
 
1 occupational med 45
2 pediatrics 45
3 dermatology 45
4 anesthesiology 43
5 nephrology 43
6 ophthalmology 43
7 physical med & rehabilitation 43
8 pathology 42
9 otolaryngology 42
10 rheumatology 42
 
1 physical med & rehabilitation 46
2 neurosurgery 46
3 endocrinology 46
4 allergy & immunology 46
5 radiology 45
6 preventive med 44
7 pathology 44
8 obstetrics/gynecology 44
9 nuclear med 44
10 general internal med 44


Had 36 entries
 
1 neurosurgery
2 nephrology
3 cardiology
4 aerospace med
5 nuclear med
6 orthopaedic surgery
7 urology
8 thoracic surgery
9 radiation oncology
10 med oncology
 
1. pathology
2. neurology
3. plastic surgery

what does a pathologist do, anyway?
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 neurology 44
2 ophthalmology 43
3 endocrinology 42
4 allergy & immunology 42
5 urology 41
6 general surgery 40
7 pathology 40
8 gastroenterology 40
9 neurosurgery 39
10 radiology 39
11 psychiatry 39
12 otolaryngology 38
13 orthopaedic surgery 37
14 preventive med 37
15 dermatology 37


This is interesting, because I actually have been thinking a lot about opthalmology. Although I find surgery interesting, I don't think I would be interested in doing a general surgery residency. Some of these choices were specialties I had never really considered much, but interesting nonetheless!
 
Code:
Rank  	Specialty  	Score
1 	thoracic surgery 	50
2 	pathology 	48
3 	infectious disease 	48
4 	plastic surgery 	47
5 	pulmonology 	47
6 	nephrology 	47
7 	obstetrics/gynecology 	47
8 	occupational med 	47
9 	radiation oncology 	47
10 	preventive med 	46
11 	general surgery 	46
12 	nuclear med 	46
13 	neurology 	46
14 	otolaryngology 	46
15 	orthopaedic surgery 	46
16 	physical med & rehabilitation 	46
17 	hematology 	46
18 	cardiology 	46
19 	rheumatology 	46
20 	colon & rectal surgery 	45
21 	allergy & immunology 	45
22 	urology 	45
23 	aerospace med 	45
24 	neurosurgery 	44
25 	anesthesiology [CODE/]
 
1 med oncology 46
2 pediatrics 45
3 psychiatry 44
4 dermatology 42
5 preventive med 41
6 physical med & rehabilitation 41
7 aerospace med 40
8 cardiology 40
9 general internal med 40
10 rheumatology 40
11 family practice 39
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My prefered specialty, emergency medicine, got 11th. The rest of the list:

1 nuclear med 47
2 orthopaedic surgery 45
3 radiology 45
4 plastic surgery 45
5 hematology 45
6 dermatology 45
7 anesthesiology 45
8 ophthalmology 44
9 obstetrics/gynecology 44
10 pediatrics 44


I want nothing to do with the majority of these fields.
 
1. Plumber
2. Mechanic
3. Firefighter
4. Janitor

I think I'm in trouble...
 
Rank Specialty Score
1 rheumatology 47
2 nephrology 47
3 med oncology 46
4 hematology 46
5 general internal med 46
6 pediatrics 46
7 occupational med 45
8 physical med & rehabilitation 45
9 pathology 44
10 neurology 44


...hmmm.... not really interested in 5 through 9.... maybe I'll take a closer look at the other IM sub-specialties... :idea:
 
1 hematology 49
2 infectious disease 48
3 rheumatology 47
4 nephrology 47
5 med oncology 47
6 physical med & rehabilitation 47
7 obstetrics/gynecology 47
8 pathology 46
9 occupational med 45
10 radiation oncology 45

Never really considered any of these 🙂 I'm not sure how well the test worked for me though, I sort of just clicked as fast as i cound and stopped when i saw one that i would put lower on the scale. I'll try to get more accurate results later.