My first 3 codes as an EMT were under the age of 24. All while being a 18 year old EMT.
My 4th was my medical director. I live in a small town, he was the doctor on call that night, they call him because he had a patient to come see. He starts talking gibberish on the phone and they call the ambulance. We get there, hes talking to us except for periods of silence when his internal defibrillator was going off. He codes, we roll up to the ED, they work him for 40 minutes and call it. He had been my personal doctor and role model since I was a kid.
Fast forward to this year, I was working as a paramedic and I cross cover the ER. One of the other small services comes in with a 13 month old code. Rigor and dependent lividity. We work it, pop in an IO, intubation was impossible, we didn't try for very long, she was just too far gone. Then the family comes soon behind, thats always the worst when you hear the wailing of the family members when they come in. The mom held the baby from 7:00am until noon when they came to take her for autopsy.
We find out that she had been seen for bronchiolitis that Friday in our clinic, she still was having some trouble breathing, so mom and dad were taking turns sitting with her. Dad sat up with her until 2am and finally felt comfortable going to bed and heard her on the monitor when he fell asleep. They woke up at 6am to find her dead.
I was looking through her EMR and she had just started talking and was really developing.
Needless to say, that took a few beers to get over.