Medicine

tesfawMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like medicine, but how do I know its right for me? How did you guys know?

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: ahh, you're a HS student, never mind

Yeah, this has been answered to death in pre-allo, which is where this thread will eventaully be moved to. Basically I shadowed, liked what I saw. I had tried some other careers first and didn't like what I saw. Nothing terribly complicated.

Last edited:
lucky guess

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew the first time I held aloft in my hand a warm, beating human heart. Upon beholding its ruby luster, I felt that I perceived all the intricate mysteries of our existence.

Wait, no, that was "The Temple of Doom." Why medicine? I dunno, I'd have to dig up my personal statement to tell you.

I knew the first time I held aloft in my hand a warm, beating human heart. Upon beholding its ruby luster, I felt that I perceived all the intricate mysteries of our existence.

Wait, no, that was "The Temple of Doom." Why medicine? I dunno, I'd have to dig up my personal statement to tell you.

:laugh:

I worked in a research department for a year that had a lot of interesting psych implications, I volunteered in an ER for a year which gave exposure to a lot of different medical problems (and in turn, many medical specialties), and then I worked on a transplant unit for a year which got me interested in surgery. I did a lot of reading about different medical fields. I like job security. I like working with people (both patients and working in teams). I like making very imporant decisions. I like the idea of having a good, stable income. I like learning how basic science turns into clinical science. I like the idea of a dynamic career where i won't be doing the same thing every day of my life, rather I'll be learning new ways to do things as technology and research improve. Being a doctor pretty much encompasses that and more, so I decided I'd go to medical school. Make a list of what you want out of your career and see how that matches up with your different choices. If you're in high school you've got a lot of time to figure all this out

Some people are attracted to medicine because of the prestige a career as a physician carries, even in today's world. Other people are attracted by the challenges posed by one of the most difficult professional career tracts. Others are just stimulated intellectually by it while others think of it more as an art form. Some (much more than many here are willing to admit) think about all the money they can earn as doctors. Contrary to what many here state not everyone in the US can easily earn at least $100,000 or go into investment banking. For a select few medicine is a calling, they were born to be doctors and knew it since they could remember. Others are pretty much groomed to be doctors since they were very young, or worse, forced into medicine by selfish parent who want to achieve frustrated dreams vicariously through their children.
For others well, medicine wasn't really in their plans at all, they just kind of stumble upon medicine as a likely career choice a bit later than others and decide that may just be a great and fulfilling career choice for them (as happened to me).
How do you know its right for you? Only you can know for sure. Just try to find out as much information as you can. If at all possible ask a local doctor if you can shadow him for a day or two to get an idea of what medicine is really like and if it's for you.
Take each advice with a grain of salt as it is mostly subjective opinions that might or might not apply to you (including my post). Also when going into forums such as these understand that there is A LOT of BS going on around here. Not everyone here has a 30 MCAT or above, gave up a lucrative job in investment banking to earn "less" in medicine because of their "love" and "compassion".
Medicine in a great and rewarding career and after three years in med school I have to say I made the right choice… for me. You have to understand that while it can be very rewarding profession the road to get there is longer and more difficult than most any other profession. If money is what motivates you (contrary to what many here say, it is NOT a dirty word) then understand that many, many difficult and long years will pass before you see any “real” money.
I apologise for my rambling, but after 26hours on call in theOR I don't care much for my "perfect" writing. I just hope I made your choice that much clearer.

Some people are attracted to medicine because of the prestige a career as a physician carries, even in today's world. Other people are attracted by the challenges posed by one of the most difficult professional career tracts. Others are just stimulated intellectually by it while others think of it more as an art form. Some (much more than many here are willing to admit) think about all the money they can earn as doctors.

:thumbup:

I agree with the post above and I'll add that many (perhaps most) people go into medicine for a (hopefully balanced) combination of these reasons.

I'm interested in medicine because of some personal reasons, but if you shadow a doctor or nurse I'm sure you will quickly learn whether or not medicine is a good career choice for you. Research some other careers relating to medicine, too, to see if any of those interest you any more than being a physician. (Biomedical research, pharmacy, etc.) Also keep in mind that you have plenty of time to make any sort of decision:D